New eRapid - LOVE IT

Blue

@rmotion- Rinse the handset, put it in a baby bottle sterilizer and turn it on. This takes roughly 1 min and is the manufactures recommended way of cleaning.

H

hammerpocket

@Blue - Where are you seeing instructions to just rinse and sterilize? The video and written instructions I've seen say to rinse and wash with dish soap (aerosol head separately from plastic parts) every treatment, then also sterilize at the end of the day. Even if you do just rinse and sterilize, you have to be around to take the parts out or they will stay wet inside the sterilizer.

M

meadow

Thank you for the link (#2 worked). Our insurance company denied approval even though I had CFF and Health Advocate work on the appeal. Optima insurance said it the eRapid was a convenience since my son already has a nebulizer. CFF sells the eRapid for around $800. Do you feel it is worth purchasing it ourselves?

SaraNoH

Well, since you can't do your antibiotic while you're doing the Vest, it would make quite a difference if you're using it for TOBI, Cayston, Colistin, etc.

This is going to sound dumb, but since when can you not do antibiotics while using the vest? I've never heard that before in my 20 years.

R

RytheStunner

This is going to sound dumb, but since when can you not do antibiotics while using the vest? I've never heard that before in my 20 years.

It's ALWAYS been the protocol. You're not supposed to do the Vest while you do your inhaled antibiotic because it's supposed to sit in your lungs, and the Vest is counterproductive to that.

There is a lot of debate as to what order to do your inhaled medications in and which can be done during the Vest, but the one consistent rule is that you cannot do your Vest while you do your TOBI/Cayston/Colistin.

SaraNoH

It's ALWAYS been the protocol. You're not supposed to do the Vest while you do your inhaled antibiotic because it's supposed to sit in your lungs, and the Vest is counterproductive to that.

There is a lot of debate as to what order to do your inhaled medications in and which can be done during the Vest, but the one consistent rule is that you cannot do your Vest while you do your TOBI/Cayston/Colistin.

Haha, whoops. I used the Vest during my Tobi years (resistant to it now). I guess it's a good thing that the Vest did absolute squat for me as far as mobilizing mucus then, letting the Tobi "settle." I'll bring this up to my current docs, I wonder if they're even aware of this protocol. Thanks for the info :)

AEGORDON13

I just spoke to a pharmacist from the CF pharm and she said that a PARI rep spoke to them the other day, saying the eRapid distributes certain meds pretty much "the same" as a jet nebulizer. She also said that for Hypersal she thinks it's totally fine, for Dornase it should be okay, though there's not really a lot of info about if the heat from the neb changes the molecules of the med at all, but for meds like antibiotics, albuterol, or xopenex she is a hesitant since they are dose dependent. I asked her if the meds had to be reformulated, or the dosages changed, and she wasn't sure, suggesting that we should discuss with our Drs (of course). She said the difference between the Altera handset and eRapid handset is the size of the resevoir, and of course the mesh heads have different sized/amounts of holes.

So. Just some info I've gathered for anyone else that has questions about this.

Hi Sarah.

When you say mesh head, is that the same as thing as the aerosol head? If not, what is the mesh head? Thanks

Also, a question for anyone with the eRapid: I just received it today and did my first treatment. Boy, is it amazing. The only thing I don't like is the fact that it leaves 1 ml of the tobi left. Is this OK? With a dosage of tobi being 5 ml, I feel l should not be leaving 20% of the dosage.

Thanks,

Andy

SaraNoH

Hi Sarah.

When you say mesh head, is that the same as thing as the aerosol head? If not, what is the mesh head? Thanks

Also, a question for anyone with the eRapid: I just received it today and did my first treatment. Boy, is it amazing. The only thing I don't like is the fact that it leaves 1 ml of the tobi left. Is this OK? With a dosage of tobi being 5 ml, I feel l should not be leaving 20% of the dosage.

Thanks,

Andy

I think they're the same thing. I'm talking about the little plastic/metal thingy that you pop into the handset. Apparently that's the only thing that changes for different meds.

I've heard about this device leaving a bit of liquid in the resevoir after treatment, and have heard that it's to prevent overdose. I think the theory is that you're getting so much more of the med using this route that you don't necessarily needs the full vile (as compared to the standard jet compressor).