New g tube pt-have questions

dsarver

I had to have a g-tube placed last week as I cannot seem to gain any wt and in fact keep losing despite attempts to increase intake. Hopefully to be listed for lung transplant soon. ANyway, they really did not give me any instructions for how to use it etc. No booklet or anything. I figured out cleaning the site was impt so have been doing so with peroxide and qtip. What I want to know is if you can use the feeding bags more than once. I only feed at night from 9pm until 9am and have been using a new bag each time. Doesn't seem to be a way to wash them or flush them if not on the pump.
Any tricks I should know about?
Dawn 45 w/cf and mac

dsarver

I had to have a g-tube placed last week as I cannot seem to gain any wt and in fact keep losing despite attempts to increase intake. Hopefully to be listed for lung transplant soon. ANyway, they really did not give me any instructions for how to use it etc. No booklet or anything. I figured out cleaning the site was impt so have been doing so with peroxide and qtip. What I want to know is if you can use the feeding bags more than once. I only feed at night from 9pm until 9am and have been using a new bag each time. Doesn't seem to be a way to wash them or flush them if not on the pump.
Dawn 45 w/cf and mac

dsarver

Dawn 45 w/cf and mac

dsarver

Dawn 45 w/cf and mac

dsarver

<br />Any tricks I should know about?
<br />Dawn 45 w/cf and mac

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Wow, they sent you home with no book? What kind of pump is it? We just got 2, so we probably have an extra book. I'd be happy to send it.

I would chech with your GI nurse about the bags. They recommend one use per bag, but a week per tubing (hmmm) If you can wash the tube you should be able to reuse the bags. It is very wasteful.

My boys noticed weight gain about 2 weeks after starting the night feeds. Hopefully your body will adjust soon and add some weight.

Good luck.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Wow, they sent you home with no book? What kind of pump is it? We just got 2, so we probably have an extra book. I'd be happy to send it.

I would chech with your GI nurse about the bags. They recommend one use per bag, but a week per tubing (hmmm) If you can wash the tube you should be able to reuse the bags. It is very wasteful.

My boys noticed weight gain about 2 weeks after starting the night feeds. Hopefully your body will adjust soon and add some weight.

Good luck.

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Good luck.

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Good luck.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
<br />
<br />I would chech with your GI nurse about the bags. They recommend one use per bag, but a week per tubing (hmmm) If you can wash the tube you should be able to reuse the bags. It is very wasteful.
<br />
<br />My boys noticed weight gain about 2 weeks after starting the night feeds. Hopefully your body will adjust soon and add some weight.
<br />
<br />Good luck.

Ricky123

when you have your feed ,set up your alarm to wake you up halfway during the feed ,and take the pills then ,so if ya take 10 pills overall for ya overnight feed,take 5 at the start ,and the other 5 halfway during the night,
the reason for this is you digest the feed better ,and it is easier on your stomach

Ricky123

when you have your feed ,set up your alarm to wake you up halfway during the feed ,and take the pills then ,so if ya take 10 pills overall for ya overnight feed,take 5 at the start ,and the other 5 halfway during the night,
the reason for this is you digest the feed better ,and it is easier on your stomach

Ricky123

Ricky123

Ricky123

<br />the reason for this is you digest the feed better ,and it is easier on your stomach

dsarver

Jane and Ricki123 Thanks for the info. Let me clarify-the pump people gave a book on how to use the pump and gave instructions so I know how to use that. The hospital nursing staff did not give me any instructions as to care and use of the g tube
Its just things like how often to flush. DO I flush the gastric side too-I am feeding only on the on the J tube side as ordered. Can I use the bags more than once-I don't think my tubing comes off the bag so that is limiting. It just seems so wasteful.
It has been 6 days since insertion and the area around it is still very tender and really painful with coughing. Is this normal? No sign of any infection, redness, warmth or drainage. The hospital seemed to think pain (even initially) was weird. I 'm like "for goodness sake they cut open my abdomen, stomach and jejunum. I think it would be weird to have no pain. WHatever.
In the time that i posted my earlier questions the clinic called me and wants me to come in thursday so I will ask questions then too. I just really think that people who have experience actually using/living with one are going to have the best tips etc.
Thanks again for your help
Dawn

dsarver

Jane and Ricki123 Thanks for the info. Let me clarify-the pump people gave a book on how to use the pump and gave instructions so I know how to use that. The hospital nursing staff did not give me any instructions as to care and use of the g tube
Its just things like how often to flush. DO I flush the gastric side too-I am feeding only on the on the J tube side as ordered. Can I use the bags more than once-I don't think my tubing comes off the bag so that is limiting. It just seems so wasteful.
It has been 6 days since insertion and the area around it is still very tender and really painful with coughing. Is this normal? No sign of any infection, redness, warmth or drainage. The hospital seemed to think pain (even initially) was weird. I 'm like "for goodness sake they cut open my abdomen, stomach and jejunum. I think it would be weird to have no pain. WHatever.
In the time that i posted my earlier questions the clinic called me and wants me to come in thursday so I will ask questions then too. I just really think that people who have experience actually using/living with one are going to have the best tips etc.
Dawn

dsarver

Dawn

dsarver

Dawn

dsarver

<br />Its just things like how often to flush. DO I flush the gastric side too-I am feeding only on the on the J tube side as ordered. Can I use the bags more than once-I don't think my tubing comes off the bag so that is limiting. It just seems so wasteful.
<br />It has been 6 days since insertion and the area around it is still very tender and really painful with coughing. Is this normal? No sign of any infection, redness, warmth or drainage. The hospital seemed to think pain (even initially) was weird. I 'm like "for goodness sake they cut open my abdomen, stomach and jejunum. I think it would be weird to have no pain. WHatever.
<br />In the time that i posted my earlier questions the clinic called me and wants me to come in thursday so I will ask questions then too. I just really think that people who have experience actually using/living with one are going to have the best tips etc.
<br />Thanks again for your help
<br />Dawn
<br />