new lungs

musclemania70

I haven't been here for a while but I wanted to share I got new lungs on jan 4!

I highly encourage anyone who has low lung function to be evaluated if you even consider transplant as an option. I had no idea it was time. I went in the hosp thinking it was a reg iv treatment but I went downhill fast. I was listed within a few weeks and once I got on the list, I had new lungs in less than two weeks.

Please don't wait! Get your evaluation done so you will be ready when the time comes!

B

BreathinSteven

That's AWESOME, Musclemania!!! I'm so happy for you... I hope your recovery is going freaking awesome!!!

And - it's amazing how short your journey was... That's not the usual course - but I'm so glad that happened for you... Listing within a few weeks, and new lungs in a few weeks more is amazing! For so many of us - the listing process can be very drawn out... It can take months, and should they find things they are concerned about - new groups of tests can add weeks or months onto that cycle. It took between 2 & 3 months for me to go through the testing and finally be listed. And then I waited 31 months for my beautiful, new lungs. Granted - that was prior to the LAS allocation priority system in 2005, but even now the wait can be between 1 and 2 years for normal situations. I'm so glad you got what you needed as quickly as you did!

And - I hope you have a long, happy journey! Last Monday, I celebrated 13 years with my beautiful, new lungs. Last Friday, I celebrated my 53rd birthday. I wasn't diagnosed with my CF until the day of my 13th birthday - and I have no doubt that my family, and I, thought that it was unlikely that I'd live beyond my teens. But, I've been very lucky... I hope you have a similar journey!

Love, Steve

azdesertrat

Congratulations! I'm glad all went well for you. I wish you a long, happy post-trans life. My only advice, make sure you take all your meds at the appropriate time.
DO NOT MISS ANY DOSES OF YOUR ANTI-REJECTION MEDS!
I've been told that just about every case of rejection is because the person didn't take their meds regimen religiously. Do that & you should be fine.
Again, congratulations!

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
Wonderful to hear you have a new shot at life. Maybe we can out do Kalydeco and put a genetic end to this genetic problem

LL

randomgirl

I got my transplant at the end of November but I also got a liver along with lungs. It's definitely awesome being able to walk more without getting out of breath with oxygen.

jchelle

so i have a question, does the cf return after you get the transplant? my husband has it, but they havent said anything about a transplant, but he has thought about it but was curious of how long it takes for the cf to return if that makes any sense at all..