New spirometer in clinic

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Our clinic just got new a new device for spirometry. The old one had a small plastic mouthpiece attached to a rubber tube which was plugged into a laptop. The new one has a large, round (2" diameter) mouthpiece attached to a ridgid arm which is attached to the laptop- similar to a desk lamp,

When doing PFTs patients can't move their heads or bodies, which is so awkward especially if one usully stands or moves at all. Jesse had a re-check on his PFTs yesterday and of course his numbers dropped from the previous week. All the techs and the doctor said they had all tried the new machine and their numbers also decreased, BUT the doctor still feels the new numbers are more accurate. Weird And frustrating.

What also bothered me was on the history chart (we always ask for a copy), all the previous numbers were adjusted based on the new machine and method of recording. So ALL his previous scores were lower by about 4 points!

Anyone else had this happen? I'd be curious to hear from others at our clinic.

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
Bummer. I know my daughter would have trouble with that type of machine. She stands up to do PFTs and gradually bends forward as she blows. I don't think she would be able to get as much air out if she had to stand still. I hope our clinic doesn't change to this kind of machine. And I would be frustrated too if they changes all the previous scores based on this new machine. It just doesn't seem right.

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
The only improvement I see is for the doctor. We all contort blowing all the possible air into a spirometer and the quality of the entire chest is in the mix of results. My numbers have dropped a little just from age related stiffness, but would really suck if I couldn't bend into it do to a stationary tube.

However this is what I remember when I had pulmonary baseline tests 10 years back. Can't remember the name but it is the one where you are sealed in a phone booth sized room and blow into a stationary mouthpiece. The stationary mouthpiece will make the tests more equal from patient to patient. Who knows why the entire scale is set artificially set low. New equipment in medicine needs to compare with existing metrics otherwise it isn't relevant for any purpose. Ask them why they would allow use of equipment that clearly contradicts the equipment historically used on you or your child.

Sorry but the story you have from the doctor doesn't cypher. National Jewish Health (NJH) will not release test equipment for use by doctors until they are calibrated and tested by their own labs. NJH is not alone in certifying new equipment, every substantial medical facility has a full time lab for peiodic re-certification. Ergonomics aside, if several people have compared the two instruments, either a notation explaining there is a technological reason behind every single patient's new lower number or somebody can calibrate it to compensate for the new technology. You should tell them if you want people to hate their new spirometers, they are well on their way. How completely stupid!

LL