new to site, son has fever and cough, worried

121mama

HI, I am a mother of a 7 year old son who was diagnosed with CF at 3 mos. He was ill a lot until he was 4, then we moved to a drier climate and he has not had even a cold. He has had digestive issues, but always minor. We are back in our home state for about 8 mos now, and he just started a fever and seal like cough last Friday. We have a clinic appointment on Thursday, but all of a sudden I am panicky, like when he was younger. I joined this site today because other than doctors, we really do not have anyone to talk to.

121mama

HI, I am a mother of a 7 year old son who was diagnosed with CF at 3 mos. He was ill a lot until he was 4, then we moved to a drier climate and he has not had even a cold. He has had digestive issues, but always minor. We are back in our home state for about 8 mos now, and he just started a fever and seal like cough last Friday. We have a clinic appointment on Thursday, but all of a sudden I am panicky, like when he was younger. I joined this site today because other than doctors, we really do not have anyone to talk to.

121mama

121mama

121mama

dmoore

Welcome to the site. That is interesting that your son seemed to do better in warmer climate. I'm in CA and we moved from a beach area to a warmer inland area, but I haven't noticed a difference really. I don't know if my son (age 6) has CF yet, we are waiting for his sweat test appt on the 29th. My son had that croupy cough last month with a fever that lasted for about 4 or 5 days. The first night it set in I had to take him to ER because he could hardly breathe and that was even after a Xopenex nebulizer treatment. Toward the end, after his fever broke, his O2 stats were so low I had to take him to ER again, but just one more day later he was a new person. Hang in there! We are going through another bout now, but without the croup and fever. Just started the breathing treatments last night. Best wishes... Donna

dmoore

Welcome to the site. That is interesting that your son seemed to do better in warmer climate. I'm in CA and we moved from a beach area to a warmer inland area, but I haven't noticed a difference really. I don't know if my son (age 6) has CF yet, we are waiting for his sweat test appt on the 29th. My son had that croupy cough last month with a fever that lasted for about 4 or 5 days. The first night it set in I had to take him to ER because he could hardly breathe and that was even after a Xopenex nebulizer treatment. Toward the end, after his fever broke, his O2 stats were so low I had to take him to ER again, but just one more day later he was a new person. Hang in there! We are going through another bout now, but without the croup and fever. Just started the breathing treatments last night. Best wishes... Donna

dmoore

dmoore

dmoore

121mama

Thank you Donna. We went to his pediatrician today and no strep. The CF clinic moved his appointment to tomorrow. He does not have the same respiratory issues as he did when he was younger. I think the change of seasons in Ohio affects him. We lived in Las Vegas and a part of Alaska with almost no humidity, and I saw a marked difference in him. We moved back to Ohio a few months ago, and this is the first issue. I am hoping it is a cold that will work itself out with no respiratory complications. Honestly, I know we are blessed with his lung function, so I am extra panicky with this new "cold" and hope it is as simple as needing a few days to knock it. His digestive issues have been our major concern, but even with that he is pretty healthy. Thanks for responding, sometimes I feel a bit lonely with no one to talk to about his CF.

121mama

Thank you Donna. We went to his pediatrician today and no strep. The CF clinic moved his appointment to tomorrow. He does not have the same respiratory issues as he did when he was younger. I think the change of seasons in Ohio affects him. We lived in Las Vegas and a part of Alaska with almost no humidity, and I saw a marked difference in him. We moved back to Ohio a few months ago, and this is the first issue. I am hoping it is a cold that will work itself out with no respiratory complications. Honestly, I know we are blessed with his lung function, so I am extra panicky with this new "cold" and hope it is as simple as needing a few days to knock it. His digestive issues have been our major concern, but even with that he is pretty healthy. Thanks for responding, sometimes I feel a bit lonely with no one to talk to about his CF.

121mama

121mama

121mama

V

valigirl21

Welcome. We have a lot in common. That's sort of how my son was; in and out of the hospital with resp symptoms until around 3 1/2, then nothing except the occassional runny nose. Then in 2207 he started getting "colds" again. Last summer he had 2 bouts w/ bronchitis, and a pneumonia. Does your son, or has he ever, gotten a random fever, but otherwise been fine, only for the fever to go away in a few days w/ no cause found? This goes out to everyone?

Again, welcome, andwe are always here whenever you need to talk.

V

valigirl21

Welcome. We have a lot in common. That's sort of how my son was; in and out of the hospital with resp symptoms until around 3 1/2, then nothing except the occassional runny nose. Then in 2207 he started getting "colds" again. Last summer he had 2 bouts w/ bronchitis, and a pneumonia. Does your son, or has he ever, gotten a random fever, but otherwise been fine, only for the fever to go away in a few days w/ no cause found? This goes out to everyone?

V

valigirl21

V

valigirl21

V

valigirl21

<br />
<br />Again, welcome, andwe are always here whenever you need to talk.