New to this Blog

DonnaB

Hi - my son was born at 32 weeks. He had ear tubes put in at 1 year and since than has had phnomia 3 times, diagnosed with astham, been on steriods numerous times. This last time he was hospitalized for 4 days and required oxygen. I just had the sweat test done (no one would do one before now even though I asked) and one arm was 36 and other was 40. I am having it re-done tomorrow. Just wanted any thoughts on my issue or suggestions. Thanks! Donna

DonnaB

Hi - my son was born at 32 weeks. He had ear tubes put in at 1 year and since than has had phnomia 3 times, diagnosed with astham, been on steriods numerous times. This last time he was hospitalized for 4 days and required oxygen. I just had the sweat test done (no one would do one before now even though I asked) and one arm was 36 and other was 40. I am having it re-done tomorrow. Just wanted any thoughts on my issue or suggestions. Thanks! Donna

DonnaB

heatherrose415

I wish i could help, im pretty much in the same spot. My son is 19 months and has had 1 sweat test with was 41 and he is pancreatic insufficient. now we are waiting to be seen again for a 2nd sweat test and genetic testing. Keep us updated and i hope you get answers soon!

heatherrose415

I wish i could help, im pretty much in the same spot. My son is 19 months and has had 1 sweat test with was 41 and he is pancreatic insufficient. now we are waiting to be seen again for a 2nd sweat test and genetic testing. Keep us updated and i hope you get answers soon!

heatherrose415

ktsmom

Are they re-doing the sweat tests because they fell close to borderline? Are the sweat tests being done at an accredited center and do you feel that the docs are listening to your concerns? Does your son have any GI symptoms? Just thoughts that come to my mind. It sounds like the providers are working towards being proactive. Probably at your urging, though, so keep at it! Good luck and let us know.

ktsmom

Are they re-doing the sweat tests because they fell close to borderline? Are the sweat tests being done at an accredited center and do you feel that the docs are listening to your concerns? Does your son have any GI symptoms? Just thoughts that come to my mind. It sounds like the providers are working towards being proactive. Probably at your urging, though, so keep at it! Good luck and let us know.

ktsmom

NoExcuses

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>needanswers</b></i>

forget the sweat test and ask for a blood test to test his genes.</end quote></div>

couldn't have said it better myself!

Ambry Full Panel genetic test is the way to go

NoExcuses

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>needanswers</b></i>

forget the sweat test and ask for a blood test to test his genes.</end quote></div>

NoExcuses

DonnaB

I had the test at Children's Hospital in Phila. Having it done again because one arm was 40 which is the boarderline low. How can one arm be different from another, his other arm was 36. What if the new test comes back below 40 - should I still pursue this or not? How do you know if theyare pancreatic insufficient? I originall thought all of this was from him being a premie and thought he would grow out of it. It seems he has most of his problems during Sept. - March when he gets a cold it just turns nansty and have to start doing nebs every 2 hours.

DonnaB

I had the test at Children's Hospital in Phila. Having it done again because one arm was 40 which is the boarderline low. How can one arm be different from another, his other arm was 36. What if the new test comes back below 40 - should I still pursue this or not? How do you know if theyare pancreatic insufficient? I originall thought all of this was from him being a premie and thought he would grow out of it. It seems he has most of his problems during Sept. - March when he gets a cold it just turns nansty and have to start doing nebs every 2 hours.

DonnaB

NoExcuses

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>DonnaB</b></i>
How can one arm be different from another, his other arm was 36.
</end quote></div>

Because it's an inexact science. And a very old-school test.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>
What if the new test comes back below 40 - should I still pursue this or not?
</end quote></div>

There are plenty of CFers with a 40 or below. That's why it's such a horrible best.

Get a genetic test as suggested above.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>How do you know if theyare pancreatic insufficient? </end quote></div>

They take a stool sample and test it.

NoExcuses

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>DonnaB</b></i>
How can one arm be different from another, his other arm was 36.
</end quote></div>

Because it's an inexact science. And a very old-school test.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>
What if the new test comes back below 40 - should I still pursue this or not?
</end quote></div>

There are plenty of CFers with a 40 or below. That's why it's such a horrible best.

Get a genetic test as suggested above.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>How do you know if theyare pancreatic insufficient? </end quote></div>

They take a stool sample and test it.