New user-need some advice on hypoglycemia

4ever21

Hi, I am 25 years old with CF. I have been pretty health my whole life until I got pregnant. I developed gestational diabetes and afterwards it turned into over-reactive hypoglycemia. I have been struggling with this because 1) it is new to me and 2) I have never been restricted like this before. Basically my body produces insulin but it produces too much, so there are times when my sugars will be 57 an hour after I eat and other times where they are fine. I usually have to eat every two hours and its full meals. The docs don't know whats going on and I feel helpless. Does anybody have this problem or have experienced it and what do you do to handle your sugars?

ajlindsley

HI: When I first brought up that my daughter was having low blood sugar episodes I don't think her CF team believed me. They are so used to seeing CFers with high blood sugars. My daughter wore a continuous BS monitor that showed she was having nightly drops in her blood sugars. She consistently dropped into the 40s during the hours of 2-6 am. She would wake up, eat breakfast and they would go into the normal range for a couple of hours and then usually drop again around 9-10 am. After that she would remain stable for the rest of the day. During the 7 days with the continuous monitor she only had a few high blood sugar readings so they didn't want to start her on insulin because she already had too many lows. So we needed to control all her lows and fe whighs with her diet. We had to make sure she had regular snacks throughout the day and one before bedtime was a must. All of her snacks must have protein with them. Maybe making sure your meals and snacks have protein will help you? Hope this is helpful. Amy

Jana

I've had periodic problems with hypoglycemia over the last year. It's strange, though, as it seems to go in cycles. At times, my blood sugar is a little high instead. Some reading about it indicated this is not a terribly uncommon problem with cf. I've also gone to trying to eat more protein, particularly in the morning. Due to one sudden drop (shortly after eating) which left me unable to talk, walk, or see properly until someone gave me some glucose gel (because I didn't realize what was happening and didn't do anything about it until it got that bad), I also carry glucose gel to use in such a case. That happened while I was on Zyvox, and I'm wondering if the antibiotic didn't just make the slight problem I already have more extreme.

4ever21

Thank you for the advice! I have been making sure there is protein when I eat and I have trying to find more snacks with protein. I think a continuous glucose monitor might help the docs figure out what's wrong, I will bring that up to them. I never had this problem till 2 years ago and I'm still struggling bc the docs are at a loss. I'm hoping an endocrinologist might shed some more light on my predicament. It would be nice to have a glucose pump like they have insulin pumps, hopefully someone could make that in the near future.