newbie here, first post

marishka

I realize I could cut and paste anybody's first post because I am going through the same awful emotions... how could this happen? We have 7 healthy grandchildren and took for granted this time would be like the others.

My daughter, Meghann, gave birth by c-section to my grandaughter, Abby, on December 22. She had surgery for what the doctor suspected was ileal atresia but turned out to be meconium ileus which led to the suspicion of CF. Those 2 weeks between the birth and the definite diagnos were pure hell and now, 7 weeks later, I'm still this close to tears all the time. I'm a librarian so I've done all the research, am becoming an unwilling expert, and it's really hard to reconcile what the future seems to hold with this tiny, beautiful baby. My brother, bless his heart, told me to stop learning... he said find out what you need to know about nutrition this month, but don't read the chapter on death.

A big part of the problem is that I'm so far away, they are in the Los Angeles area and I am in Indiana. I did much better with keeping a lid on my emotions when I was able to visit out there for 2 weeks; maybe it's as simple as being able to actually do practical things while I was there, like prepare the applesauce and enzymes, but here all I can do is listen and ask questions.

I want to be there for my daughter, I want to just leave and set up camp in their living room. That's out of the question, of course, I have to work, we have our house here. Meg and her husband, Mike, have a fine support system in his loving family there. They are lucky to be close to the CF Center at Children's Hospital Los Angeles. And they are so good together, supporting each other and determined to do everything they can for Abby. I guess I am still in mourning for the future they should have had.

Sorry, I could fill a hundred screens with everything I'm feeling and all the questions I have, but I'll quit now. Here I am, I'm one of you.

Mary

marishka

I realize I could cut and paste anybody's first post because I am going through the same awful emotions... how could this happen? We have 7 healthy grandchildren and took for granted this time would be like the others.

My daughter, Meghann, gave birth by c-section to my grandaughter, Abby, on December 22. She had surgery for what the doctor suspected was ileal atresia but turned out to be meconium ileus which led to the suspicion of CF. Those 2 weeks between the birth and the definite diagnos were pure hell and now, 7 weeks later, I'm still this close to tears all the time. I'm a librarian so I've done all the research, am becoming an unwilling expert, and it's really hard to reconcile what the future seems to hold with this tiny, beautiful baby. My brother, bless his heart, told me to stop learning... he said find out what you need to know about nutrition this month, but don't read the chapter on death.

A big part of the problem is that I'm so far away, they are in the Los Angeles area and I am in Indiana. I did much better with keeping a lid on my emotions when I was able to visit out there for 2 weeks; maybe it's as simple as being able to actually do practical things while I was there, like prepare the applesauce and enzymes, but here all I can do is listen and ask questions.

I want to be there for my daughter, I want to just leave and set up camp in their living room. That's out of the question, of course, I have to work, we have our house here. Meg and her husband, Mike, have a fine support system in his loving family there. They are lucky to be close to the CF Center at Children's Hospital Los Angeles. And they are so good together, supporting each other and determined to do everything they can for Abby. I guess I am still in mourning for the future they should have had.

Sorry, I could fill a hundred screens with everything I'm feeling and all the questions I have, but I'll quit now. Here I am, I'm one of you.

Mary

marishka

Mary

JazzysMom

Well you have been introduced to one heck of a group here. I imagine it is very hard for you being so hard from your daughter & grandbaby. I do agree with your bro at this point. Dont read into the death part yet. Not everything applies to every CFer from day one. Thats why it is progressive. There is so much to absorb that death should be your main concern at this point. Go with the digestion since that is what led to the dx. From there address the issues that she deals with along the way. I know its new. I know its scary. I know you want it all to go away. That is what this forum is good for. We have tons of newbies on here and many "old timers" both in age & member longevity. In the meantime WELCOME and definitely encourage your daughter & SIL to join when they are in the place mentally to utilize the site!

JazzysMom

Well you have been introduced to one heck of a group here. I imagine it is very hard for you being so hard from your daughter & grandbaby. I do agree with your bro at this point. Dont read into the death part yet. Not everything applies to every CFer from day one. Thats why it is progressive. There is so much to absorb that death should be your main concern at this point. Go with the digestion since that is what led to the dx. From there address the issues that she deals with along the way. I know its new. I know its scary. I know you want it all to go away. That is what this forum is good for. We have tons of newbies on here and many "old timers" both in age & member longevity. In the meantime WELCOME and definitely encourage your daughter & SIL to join when they are in the place mentally to utilize the site!

JazzysMom

ktsmom

I am very sorry for your diagnosis, but welcome to the site!

One thing that makes your experience different than some others, believe it or not, is the incredible support that your daughter and her husband are experiencing from both you and his family. What a special grandma you are!

Speaking from experience, sometimes I just want someone to listen without either turning away or trying to solve everything. The "solvers" in my life haven't bothered to gain any facts or background. The fact that you can listen and counsel, armed with all the knowledge you have worked hard to gain, will be an invaluable source of support for your daughter and her family.

Warm wishes to all of you as you continue on your journey. Come back often, especially in the Families section (you've "graduated"!). I have learned so much from the people on this site.

Dana
Mom to Katy (3, cf) and Kyra (6, no cf)

ktsmom

One thing that makes your experience different than some others, believe it or not, is the incredible support that your daughter and her husband are experiencing from both you and his family. What a special grandma you are!

Speaking from experience, sometimes I just want someone to listen without either turning away or trying to solve everything. The "solvers" in my life haven't bothered to gain any facts or background. The fact that you can listen and counsel, armed with all the knowledge you have worked hard to gain, will be an invaluable source of support for your daughter and her family.

Warm wishes to all of you as you continue on your journey. Come back often, especially in the Families section (you've "graduated"!). I have learned so much from the people on this site.

Dana

ktsmom

Dana