Newborn Nutrition

NanaKay

My granddaughter, Khloe, is 5 weeks old and still in the hospital. She had surgery for Meconium Ileus and is recovering from that procedure. The problem she is having now is that she cannot absorb anything that she is eating. She is losing weight and they can't do the surgery to put her intestines back together until she starts gaining weight. She was on liquids through IV until last week. When they took her off that she started losing. She also may have some liver problems because her skin is very yellow. Anyone been through this or have any suggestions.

NanaKay

My granddaughter, Khloe, is 5 weeks old and still in the hospital. She had surgery for Meconium Ileus and is recovering from that procedure. The problem she is having now is that she cannot absorb anything that she is eating. She is losing weight and they can't do the surgery to put her intestines back together until she starts gaining weight. She was on liquids through IV until last week. When they took her off that she started losing. She also may have some liver problems because her skin is very yellow. Anyone been through this or have any suggestions.

NanaKay

NanaKay

NanaKay

JazzysMom

I think you will get more responses if you post this in the family section. We have plenty of parents whose little ones have dealt with similiar issues.

HUGS

JazzysMom

I think you will get more responses if you post this in the family section. We have plenty of parents whose little ones have dealt with similiar issues.

HUGS

JazzysMom

HUGS

JazzysMom

HUGS

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />HUGS

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Is she on formula and enzymes yet? I know a couple people have posted here in the past with similar comments and it turned out they started formula, but not enzymes.

The other thing is that she could require higher calorie formula. More powder or liquid to water ratio. DS was put on a 24 calorie formula.

When DS was recovering, he was on TPN, which they gradually reduced once we were able to start feeding him formula. We had to start gradually feeding him a few ML of pedialyte, then maybe 10 ml/cc of formula. Very gradually to make sure everything was working. With him though they were able to put him back together right away, he didn't have any ostomy issues.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Is she on formula and enzymes yet? I know a couple people have posted here in the past with similar comments and it turned out they started formula, but not enzymes.

The other thing is that she could require higher calorie formula. More powder or liquid to water ratio. DS was put on a 24 calorie formula.

When DS was recovering, he was on TPN, which they gradually reduced once we were able to start feeding him formula. We had to start gradually feeding him a few ML of pedialyte, then maybe 10 ml/cc of formula. Very gradually to make sure everything was working. With him though they were able to put him back together right away, he didn't have any ostomy issues.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />The other thing is that she could require higher calorie formula. More powder or liquid to water ratio. DS was put on a 24 calorie formula.
<br />
<br />When DS was recovering, he was on TPN, which they gradually reduced once we were able to start feeding him formula. We had to start gradually feeding him a few ML of pedialyte, then maybe 10 ml/cc of formula. Very gradually to make sure everything was working. With him though they were able to put him back together right away, he didn't have any ostomy issues.