Newborn Screening Results, going for Sweat Test

hmw

The vast majority of those with elevated IRT levels only (not all states include any genetic testing as part of newborn screening) are false positives.
<br />
<br />It would be a lower percentage of those that have both elevated IRT as well as one mutation found that do not have CF, but odds are still in your favor that your child is a carrier.
<br />
<br />I don't know if Emily tasted salty as an infant. She does taste very salty now. My other children do not. Her sweat test result was twice as high as one of my sons and 3x as high as the other.

gregdpowell

Hey Everyone, it's been a long wait through all this, and the people here have been amazing. Thank you. We had a sweat test and the result was 30, putting us right in the bottom of the borderline group. Like I said before, he did have the basic panel done and it reviled 1 mutation (DF508). Then the long wait started for 2 weeks waiting for another test this morning. I will say my baby has been healthy and growing. He started small but is growing pretty well now. He did have some sinus congestion (which I was positive was CF) is better also. I had in the Dr. twice for it because like I said I was convinced it was something really serious.
Anyhow, his result today was 17 and we met with a genetics doctor who went through the results. He actually used to work at a CF clinic which was nice. He dismissed us after the test.
I think I'll be fine with these results. I know some will suggest the full panel testing. I am going to remain here on the forums and am going to get involved in my local CF community. It feels like maybe God wanted to open my eyes to CF and get involved, weird I know. Thank you again everyone for the encouragement and prayers.

gregdpowell

Hey Everyone, it's been a long wait through all this, and the people here have been amazing. Thank you. We had a sweat test and the result was 30, putting us right in the bottom of the borderline group. Like I said before, he did have the basic panel done and it reviled 1 mutation (DF508). Then the long wait started for 2 weeks waiting for another test this morning. I will say my baby has been healthy and growing. He started small but is growing pretty well now. He did have some sinus congestion (which I was positive was CF) is better also. I had in the Dr. twice for it because like I said I was convinced it was something really serious.
Anyhow, his result today was 17 and we met with a genetics doctor who went through the results. He actually used to work at a CF clinic which was nice. He dismissed us after the test.
I think I'll be fine with these results. I know some will suggest the full panel testing. I am going to remain here on the forums and am going to get involved in my local CF community. It feels like maybe God wanted to open my eyes to CF and get involved, weird I know. Thank you again everyone for the encouragement and prayers.

gregdpowell

<br />Anyhow, his result today was 17 and we met with a genetics doctor who went through the results. He actually used to work at a CF clinic which was nice. He dismissed us after the test.
<br />I think I'll be fine with these results. I know some will suggest the full panel testing. I am going to remain here on the forums and am going to get involved in my local CF community. It feels like maybe God wanted to open my eyes to CF and get involved, weird I know. Thank you again everyone for the encouragement and prayers.

Jessesmom

Hi Greg, I'm going through a similar situation with my newborn son. Jesse also has a positive screen with an elevated IRT of 79.1 and one mutation (dF508). He will have the sweat test and molecular testing done on May 25, he will be almost 5 weeks when this is done. How old was your son at the time of the sweat test?
Jesse has four older siblings who are healthy, but at the time of their birth CF was not added yet to the newborn screening.

Jessesmom

Hi Greg, I'm going through a similar situation with my newborn son. Jesse also has a positive screen with an elevated IRT of 79.1 and one mutation (dF508). He will have the sweat test and molecular testing done on May 25, he will be almost 5 weeks when this is done. How old was your son at the time of the sweat test?
Jesse has four older siblings who are healthy, but at the time of their birth CF was not added yet to the newborn screening.

Jessesmom

<br />Jesse has four older siblings who are healthy, but at the time of their birth CF was not added yet to the newborn screening.