Newly diagnosed...for the 2nd time in 28yrs

Alyssa

I know, I wondered the same thing about social workers when we first went it... I thought social workers were only called in when someone was beating up or abusing their kid! hahaha, wrong.... you meet with a social worker so they can keep you informed about any programs that you might qualify for (like help with getting medicine if your copay is too high) or if a teenager is thinking he doesn't need to finish school (because they may not live much longer than 18 - or so they think), they encourage them to stay in school, or help advise them of plans/agreements with the school to be able to get enzymes or have a snack when needed or special accommodations when going to college (like having a fridge in the room for medication, or having a private room because of coughing and medications - noise from the machines, or privacy issues while doing treatments etc) Extra time to complete assignments because of hospitalizations etc. The social workers are definitely there to inform you of many positive and/or helpful things that you might not be aware of.

Alyssa

I know, I wondered the same thing about social workers when we first went it... I thought social workers were only called in when someone was beating up or abusing their kid! hahaha, wrong.... you meet with a social worker so they can keep you informed about any programs that you might qualify for (like help with getting medicine if your copay is too high) or if a teenager is thinking he doesn't need to finish school (because they may not live much longer than 18 - or so they think), they encourage them to stay in school, or help advise them of plans/agreements with the school to be able to get enzymes or have a snack when needed or special accommodations when going to college (like having a fridge in the room for medication, or having a private room because of coughing and medications - noise from the machines, or privacy issues while doing treatments etc) Extra time to complete assignments because of hospitalizations etc. The social workers are definitely there to inform you of many positive and/or helpful things that you might not be aware of.

Alyssa

Alyssa

Alyssa