NG tube - how long is too long?

hopefulmommy

DS has had an NG tube for a little over a month. He's put on 4 lbs since then, YAY! BUT, we're still not making much progress in getting him to eat on his own.

We had a meeting with early intervention today, and the speech therapist thought that having then NG in is interfering with him eating...that his senses are always feeling the NG tube and messing up his gag reflex. She says that a g-tube would be much less invasive and maybe he'd eat better with it.

I just don't know! Of course I'll bring it up in clinic on Tuesday, but he still has some weight to gain. WOuld a g-tube be better??

After she said something about him feeling it all the time, I just felt so sad and sorry for him. Poor thing! And wondering if we're doing the right thing.

hopefulmommy

DS has had an NG tube for a little over a month. He's put on 4 lbs since then, YAY! BUT, we're still not making much progress in getting him to eat on his own.

We had a meeting with early intervention today, and the speech therapist thought that having then NG in is interfering with him eating...that his senses are always feeling the NG tube and messing up his gag reflex. She says that a g-tube would be much less invasive and maybe he'd eat better with it.

I just don't know! Of course I'll bring it up in clinic on Tuesday, but he still has some weight to gain. WOuld a g-tube be better??

After she said something about him feeling it all the time, I just felt so sad and sorry for him. Poor thing! And wondering if we're doing the right thing.

hopefulmommy

hopefulmommy

hopefulmommy

<br />
<br />We had a meeting with early intervention today, and the speech therapist thought that having then NG in is interfering with him eating...that his senses are always feeling the NG tube and messing up his gag reflex. She says that a g-tube would be much less invasive and maybe he'd eat better with it.
<br />
<br />I just don't know! Of course I'll bring it up in clinic on Tuesday, but he still has some weight to gain. WOuld a g-tube be better??
<br />
<br />After she said something about him feeling it all the time, I just felt so sad and sorry for him. Poor thing! And wondering if we're doing the right thing.

mrsp86

no g tube its more of a long term thing my son haydn has had a nasal gastric long term feeding tube for about a month and a little bit now due to feeding problems he could not wean onto anything other than first stage baby food and when we tryed anything more he would gag and choke till he threw up since having the ng tube he can now eat toast and other things that i only dreamed about him eating although his progress is slow with the speach languges and development people taking his development from a 1 year old and his growth from a 10 month old . haydn is nearly 15 months. altho he has not yet been diagnosed with cf i would say yes mention it but the ng tube is still new to your little one they can eat with it in and i personally think that my little one dont even realise its in his throat cause if he did i do not think he would still have it there. give the mg tube time hun x wish you all the best

mrsp86

no g tube its more of a long term thing my son haydn has had a nasal gastric long term feeding tube for about a month and a little bit now due to feeding problems he could not wean onto anything other than first stage baby food and when we tryed anything more he would gag and choke till he threw up since having the ng tube he can now eat toast and other things that i only dreamed about him eating although his progress is slow with the speach languges and development people taking his development from a 1 year old and his growth from a 10 month old . haydn is nearly 15 months. altho he has not yet been diagnosed with cf i would say yes mention it but the ng tube is still new to your little one they can eat with it in and i personally think that my little one dont even realise its in his throat cause if he did i do not think he would still have it there. give the mg tube time hun x wish you all the best

mrsp86

mrsp86

mrsp86

sdavis227

Like you said - talk to the docs about it.

DS had an ng before he got his g-tube, but he just kept pulling it out so he got a g-tube. He was in like the 5-10% range (if I remember correctly).

Depending on his weight, I would probably ask the doc if you can remove the ng and see if he starts eating better. His tummy might tell him to eat more since he's been eating through the ng so much - and you may be able to avoid the whole feeding tube all together.

Again, talk with the docs, and if taking the ng out is something you really believe in, make sure you push about it. I know that our clinic can sometimes just brush off some of the things that we say unless they understand that it really is important to us.

HTH and I hope you well. You're baby boy is just gorgeous!

sdavis227

DS had an ng before he got his g-tube, but he just kept pulling it out so he got a g-tube. He was in like the 5-10% range (if I remember correctly).

Depending on his weight, I would probably ask the doc if you can remove the ng and see if he starts eating better. His tummy might tell him to eat more since he's been eating through the ng so much - and you may be able to avoid the whole feeding tube all together.

Again, talk with the docs, and if taking the ng out is something you really believe in, make sure you push about it. I know that our clinic can sometimes just brush off some of the things that we say unless they understand that it really is important to us.

sdavis227

sdavis227

sdavis227

<br />
<br />DS had an ng before he got his g-tube, but he just kept pulling it out so he got a g-tube. He was in like the 5-10% range (if I remember correctly).
<br />
<br />Depending on his weight, I would probably ask the doc if you can remove the ng and see if he starts eating better. His tummy might tell him to eat more since he's been eating through the ng so much - and you may be able to avoid the whole feeding tube all together.
<br />
<br />Again, talk with the docs, and if taking the ng out is something you really believe in, make sure you push about it. I know that our clinic can sometimes just brush off some of the things that we say unless they understand that it really is important to us.
<br />
<br />
<br />HTH and I hope you well. You're baby boy is just gorgeous!