Nicole F

K

Keepercjr

I doubt the pregnancy had anything to do with her bleed. Lots of people with CF have lung bleeds at one time or another, most are not severe. She just happened to have a *really* severe one. I don't know most of the medical facts about her tragic case other than what has been reported but it is my guess that she would have had the same outcome if she wasn't pregnant. I say that because it is a doctor's duty to treat the mom first, baby second. After all, if mom doesn't survive, baby certainly won't survive. But if mom survives then baby at least has a chance. It is also possible that she lost her will to fight after losing her baby. Mental health and attitude are big components to physical recovery.

It is just so so sad. Hard to comprehend and really makes you thankful for your own life.

ep1713

I have to say that the following is just my experience and there's no proof behind it. I could count the number of times I coughed up blood on one hand throughout my entire life before getting pregnant. Thru the end of the first trimester and part of the 2nd I did it 6-8 times. I know when you are pregnant, you have an increase in blood volume. Since having my son 15 months ago, I haven't done it since. I also remember coming on here and reading a couple other people who did this during their pregnancy and it was also unusual for them as well and their docs had the same thoughts as to why it happened. I'm not saying the pregnancy caused this, because I don't know her history at all. I'm just sharing my experience in case it would help anyone else during their pregnancy. If you have bleeding issues before pregnancy, it's probably just something your docs should really monitor and be proactive if at all possible during a pregnancy.

My prayers go out to her family. I am so saddened to hear what happened.

K

Keepercjr

Interesting about your bleeds Erin. I have a minor history of hemoptysis but I don't recall having any blood while pregnant with either child. The worst I have been is the past month. I have coughed up blood 4 times already. I don't know what is going on! I hadn't had frank blood for probably 7 or 8 years.

Just goes to show that everyone is different.

LouLou

Actually as a frequent bleeder before pregnancy, I had this discussion with my doctor at the time. He told me that bleeders rarely remain the same during pregnancy because of the 50% increase in blood. It usuallly gets better or gets worse but rarely stays exactly the same. For me it got better...I went from being a nearly daily bleeder to bleeding only a few times until late in my 3rd tri when I started to bleed more regularly. After I gave birth it was again a daily occurance and since I had experienced a time of no bleeds I was fed up with it an opted for a bronchial artery embolization (BAE). Since then 3+ yrs ago I haven't bleed but a few times. At no point in my life have I had more than a couple tablespoons in one bout.

Nicole's situation made me wonder...
1) Are BAE's possible while pregnant? (stemming from Tina's comment that the bleeding started in the same spot - theoretically impossible if she'd had a BAE)
2) Does pregnancy put strain on a BAE site?