Night oxygen

nocode

I had my first attempt at using oxygen at night last night. I was relaxed and (finally) accepting the situation so I thought it was going to go relatively smoothly.
It didn't. I tossed and turned for 2,5 hours in bed and couldn't fall asleep. It felt uncomfortable, unnatural and the wind in my nose started to feel strange after 2 hours. Of course I was aware of all this because I couldn't fall asleep.
I eventually had to take it off and turn it all off so that I could finally fall into a nice, peaceful sleep. It only took me 2 minutes to fall asleep as soon as I took it off.
So yes, first impressions are negative - I always fall asleep fast and sleep very well, so having to use oxygen at night will definitely not improve the quality of my sleep. It's frustrating.
I will continue to try because I do believe it'll be a matter of getting used to it, just like everything else.
I guess there's no question here, just wanted to share. Or maybe you could also share your night oxygen stories. Did you experience the same on the first few nights?
Take care all & thanks for reading!

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
I second what muscle said. It was also very difficult for me to get used to. Just keep trying. You'll get used to it once you wear it every night. I realized very quickly how much I depended on it so I didn't want to take it off even when I couldn't sleep well the first few days....

Good luck

Twistofchaos

Strangely on my first night with oxygen I had quite an amazing lucid dream! Those rarely happen to me so naturally I thought it was the oxygen and thought, hey! this stuff is great. But sadly they did not or rarely return. I do feel more clearheaded sleeping with oxygen though so maybe it's not entirely unrelated.
As for sleeping and falling asleep itself, no I don't have problems with that but I'm one of those people that can fall asleep and sleep anywhere/at/on/in/through anything and for any duration so that's not so helpful. But being self-conscious and paying attention to your breathing and how it makes you feel, the tubing, listening to the machine and feeling crappy that now you have to sleep with oxygen are all enough to keep you awake.
However yeah, a few nights on and you won't even think about it much anymore and even when you do maybe keeping in mind it will make you feel better during the day will help a lot. (As well as feeling like Darth Vader, reading your tricorder and finding you need this to survive in the atmosphere on distant planets, or as Sandy Cheeks breathing under water or whatever favourite character surviving in deeply alien surroundings might help.) (..Yeah and that these oxygen concentrators don't have a history of catching fire, and that you might accidentally get payed back too much money for your electricity bill from the insurance, if Darth Vader is not your thing.)

Brad

I use O2 at night also, at first I would wake up with it in my had, but after a while
it says on all night. It does help me sleep through the night. I am only on 1.5 ltrs.

I had a cold recently and it was great to have it already there with out having to go
in the hospital.....But....my power went out and I ended in in the hospital anyway.
I am still in.. Maybe out tomorrow. 9 days is not to bad.

Give the night o2 a chance, remember to take it off is you have to go to the
bath room, or It will remind you, lol it did me..

markinohio

I agree with the others that it takes time to get used the cannula and tubing. If you toss and turn alot in your sleep, it may take longer to get used to it. I started O2 a few years ago and after a week or so I hardly knew I was using it. Good luck.

Mark

nocode

Thanks for your answers so far.
Did you start feeling improvement (during the day) straight away or did it also take some time?

T

TonyaH

I hope every night gets a little better for you, Vera!..this is a great thread...one people will be able to look back on for good information!

nocode

Thanks. I tried it again last night and this time I had no problems. I realized that I couldn't fall asleep because of anxiety about the oxygen (what a surprise) so I decided to take my laptop to bed with me and watch George Carlin (comedian) doing his stand up to help me relax. I had the oxygen on while I was watching it so that I would take my mind off it and get used to it while awake.
Then I fell asleep. I slept all night with it on and it wasn't a problem, only when I woke up in the morning but then I could take it off straight away. So what this is helping me realize is that night oxygen is only a problem (uncomfortable, etc) when you're awake.
Strangely, my noise isn't dry at all this morning. And the marks on my face were very mild and they have already disappeared (I woke up an hour ago).

As far as feeling better today I think it's too soon to tell, and I'm afraid that if I feel any improvement it'll be psychological, so I'll give it more time.

Now I just need to use it with my boyfriend sleeping next to me. But I already ordered really dark drapes for the bedroom which will be installed tomorrow. That way, I won't feel as self-conscious about waking up in the morning with the light coming in and my boyfriend looking at me with that on. Gotta do whatever you can to make the process smoother right!