Night sweats, reflux and hemoptysis

cf83mp

I have CF along with delayed gastric emptying which causes me to reflux a lot of food. I take Aciphex 20mg once daily. Every since I started experiencing more reflux, especially at night, I have started to experience hemoptysis. My first episode of hemoptysis was in January 2011 followed by a massive hemoptysis in February 2011. While my CF doctor believes my hemoptysis and increased infections are related to Aspergillus, I still believe aspiration is playing a big role in my frequent hemoptysis. However, there is no clear way to determine exactly what is causing me to be sick and if the bleeds and infections are related to aspiration/regurgitation/reflux or CF. I suppose it's a process of elimination. But, I do believe my hemoptysis and infections are 75% likely related to aspiration--especially since I am prone to aspirating more than the average person due to having delayed gastric emptying.

cf83mp

I have CF along with delayed gastric emptying which causes me to reflux a lot of food. I take Aciphex 20mg once daily. Every since I started experiencing more reflux, especially at night, I have started to experience hemoptysis. My first episode of hemoptysis was in January 2011 followed by a massive hemoptysis in February 2011. While my CF doctor believes my hemoptysis and increased infections are related to Aspergillus, I still believe aspiration is playing a big role in my frequent hemoptysis. However, there is no clear way to determine exactly what is causing me to be sick and if the bleeds and infections are related to aspiration/regurgitation/reflux or CF. I suppose it's a process of elimination. But, I do believe my hemoptysis and infections are 75% likely related to aspiration--especially since I am prone to aspirating more than the average person due to having delayed gastric emptying.

cf83mp

I have CF along with delayed gastric emptying which causes me to reflux a lot of food. I take Aciphex 20mg once daily. Every since I started experiencing more reflux, especially at night, I have started to experience hemoptysis. My first episode of hemoptysis was in January 2011 followed by a massive hemoptysis in February 2011. While my CF doctor believes my hemoptysis and increased infections are related to Aspergillus, I still believe aspiration is playing a big role in my frequent hemoptysis. However, there is no clear way to determine exactly what is causing me to be sick and if the bleeds and infections are related to aspiration/regurgitation/reflux or CF. I suppose it's a process of elimination. But, I do believe my hemoptysis and infections are 75% likely related to aspiration--especially since I am prone to aspirating more than the average person due to having delayed gastric emptying. <BR>

JennifersHope

I have no idea but I have developed the worst night sweats ever, I do have horrible reflux and I take two different meds for it.. I was attributing the night sweats to the MAC but I don't know....

JennifersHope

I have no idea but I have developed the worst night sweats ever, I do have horrible reflux and I take two different meds for it.. I was attributing the night sweats to the MAC but I don't know....

JennifersHope

C

cfsucks

i've been having worsening reflux, so i mentioned it to my doctor and he doubled my dose of omeprazole (2 pills twice a day), but i feel it's still there (just the other day i had to take a prevacid it was so hard in the morning). on top of this ive been having night sweats the past month or so (i thought it was maybe from allergy bedding, so i removed them, but im still sweating).

anyways i started cayston a couple weeks ago and was fine, but out of nowhere i had a case of hemotopysis a couple days ago, and it subsided (but still had streaking). i've had problems with tobi as well (with bleeding) but i'm beginning to think it's not the antibiotics causing the problem, but possibly reflux, so I booked an appt with my doctor to get a referral to see a GI.

im hoping that they will be able to sort out this hemotopysis issue because as of others have said it's a pain in the arse! i'm going to supplement with vitamin k until i get the appt. and see if it makes any difference.

C

cfsucks

i've been having worsening reflux, so i mentioned it to my doctor and he doubled my dose of omeprazole (2 pills twice a day), but i feel it's still there (just the other day i had to take a prevacid it was so hard in the morning). on top of this ive been having night sweats the past month or so (i thought it was maybe from allergy bedding, so i removed them, but im still sweating).

anyways i started cayston a couple weeks ago and was fine, but out of nowhere i had a case of hemotopysis a couple days ago, and it subsided (but still had streaking). i've had problems with tobi as well (with bleeding) but i'm beginning to think it's not the antibiotics causing the problem, but possibly reflux, so I booked an appt with my doctor to get a referral to see a GI.

im hoping that they will be able to sort out this hemotopysis issue because as of others have said it's a pain in the arse! i'm going to supplement with vitamin k until i get the appt. and see if it makes any difference.

CyrilCrodius

I confirm that acid reflux is a side effect of Prednisone. My doctor gave me a prescription of Zantac to take 30 minutes before I take Prednisone even though I never had acid reflux.

CyrilCrodius

I confirm that acid reflux is a side effect of Prednisone. My doctor gave me a prescription of Zantac to take 30 minutes before I take Prednisone even though I never had acid reflux.

CyrilCrodius

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>UNCLoveCF</b></i> CFsucks: You have not posted a reply recently and I would like to know what your GI doctor said about your reflux symptoms and correlation (if any) to hemoptysis.</end quote>
I know that acid reflux is the reason why they told people to stop doing CPT in the head down position. They have discovered that especially in younger patients, it can cause acid reflux and acid to get in the lungs which damages them. They have never talked about it being strong enough to cause hemoptisis, but it might be a possibility.

CyrilCrodius

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>UNCLoveCF</b></i> CFsucks: You have not posted a reply recently and I would like to know what your GI doctor said about your reflux symptoms and correlation (if any) to hemoptysis.</end quote>
I know that acid reflux is the reason why they told people to stop doing CPT in the head down position. They have discovered that especially in younger patients, it can cause acid reflux and acid to get in the lungs which damages them. They have never talked about it being strong enough to cause hemoptisis, but it might be a possibility.