Nissen Fundoplication Questions

Kerryann

Our three year old AJ has had several bouts of aspiration pneumonia recently. He has had episodes of vomitting fairly consistently since birth. They are referring him for a fundo. I have done research about it and have received some guidance from another parent.

We still have one large concern:
Although doing it laporscopically is ideal, I seem to see a trend in them coming "undone?"

Can anyone please share their experiences with us? We are not sure which way to go because,while we do not want AJ to have a difficult recovery from a more invasive procedure, we also do not want to always be "on the lookout" for the fundo to become undone and need repeat surgeries down the road.

Thanks so much!

Kerryann

Kerryann

Our three year old AJ has had several bouts of aspiration pneumonia recently. He has had episodes of vomitting fairly consistently since birth. They are referring him for a fundo. I have done research about it and have received some guidance from another parent.

Although doing it laporscopically is ideal, I seem to see a trend in them coming "undone?"

Can anyone please share their experiences with us? We are not sure which way to go because,while we do not want AJ to have a difficult recovery from a more invasive procedure, we also do not want to always be "on the lookout" for the fundo to become undone and need repeat surgeries down the road.

Thanks so much!

Kerryann

Kerryann

Thanks so much!

Kerryann

Kerryann

Thanks so much!

Kerryann

Kerryann

Thanks so much!

Kerryann

S

sdelorenzo

I had lots of fears last year before my daughter got her fundo. She had it done laparoscopically. But she has zero problems with her fundo. She was up and running and home 3 days later and was upset when she couldn't jump on her trampoline that afternoon. She can still throw up threw it. I even made them check to see that it hadn't come undone and it hasn't. I would not go for the open surgery. It seems that the older drs do those because they do not have the experience of learning how to do them laparoscopically.
Sharon, mom of Sophia, 6 and Jack, 4 both with cf

S

sdelorenzo

I had lots of fears last year before my daughter got her fundo. She had it done laparoscopically. But she has zero problems with her fundo. She was up and running and home 3 days later and was upset when she couldn't jump on her trampoline that afternoon. She can still throw up threw it. I even made them check to see that it hadn't come undone and it hasn't. I would not go for the open surgery. It seems that the older drs do those because they do not have the experience of learning how to do them laparoscopically.

S

sdelorenzo

S

sdelorenzo

S

sdelorenzo

B

Beaz

Hi. My son, now 10, had an "open" fundo at 18mos which had to be "revised" (ie re done) 13 mos later, so I guess there's no guarantees either way. I will say that the recovery was no picnic from either one. Given the choice, I'd try the laprascopic first; you can always fall back to an open procedure if necessary.
Find the most experienced surgeon you can.

B

Beaz

Hi. My son, now 10, had an "open" fundo at 18mos which had to be "revised" (ie re done) 13 mos later, so I guess there's no guarantees either way. I will say that the recovery was no picnic from either one. Given the choice, I'd try the laprascopic first; you can always fall back to an open procedure if necessary.

B

Beaz

B

Beaz

B

Beaz

Kerryann

The local surgeon who performs the "open" procedure has done between 500-600. We are still waiting for an appointment at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.

Thanks for the input!

Kerryann

The local surgeon who performs the "open" procedure has done between 500-600. We are still waiting for an appointment at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.

Thanks for the input!

Kerryann

Thanks for the input!

Kerryann

Thanks for the input!

Kerryann

Thanks for the input!