Nissen Fundoplication

TwistedTanya

My doctor's say I need it and I also need a transplant. They are talking about doing the Nissen surgery after I'm stable from TX...about 2 weeks...while I'm still in the hospital. They also said I would be getting tube feedings for 2 weeks after it. I'm really interested to know who has had the surgery and if you had it before TX or after and how it went.

TwistedTanya

My doctor's say I need it and I also need a transplant. They are talking about doing the Nissen surgery after I'm stable from TX...about 2 weeks...while I'm still in the hospital. They also said I would be getting tube feedings for 2 weeks after it. I'm really interested to know who has had the surgery and if you had it before TX or after and how it went.

TwistedTanya

TwistedTanya

TwistedTanya

Joanne

Tanya,

I was txd 12 years ago and this was not offered back then.
About 1 or 2 ago, a doc who was new to UNC told me I should get it. I told him no, as I had heard negative feedback about it. Someone not able to eat for months. I told UNC I would not do it, as I did not feel it was proven to prevent chronic rejection.....I already had chronic, so why bother. And I take omeprazole, and that works great.

I just returned from my annual clinic ( I live 700 miles from UNC) and we were talking about it, and they also feel it is not proven and no they do not do it to every tx person. I know that Duke did that at one time, not sure what the protocol is now.

Ask your center to provide some research for you to read.
Before I got my lungs I did tons of research into lung tx and the like, it helped me going in to understand, and be able to ask some pertinent questions.

Good luck
Joanne

Joanne

Tanya,

About 1 or 2 ago, a doc who was new to UNC told me I should get it. I told him no, as I had heard negative feedback about it. Someone not able to eat for months. I told UNC I would not do it, as I did not feel it was proven to prevent chronic rejection.....I already had chronic, so why bother. And I take omeprazole, and that works great.

I just returned from my annual clinic ( I live 700 miles from UNC) and we were talking about it, and they also feel it is not proven and no they do not do it to every tx person. I know that Duke did that at one time, not sure what the protocol is now.

Before I got my lungs I did tons of research into lung tx and the like, it helped me going in to understand, and be able to ask some pertinent questions.

Good luck
Joanne

Joanne

Tanya,

Good luck
Joanne

Joanne

Tanya,

Good luck
Joanne

Joanne

Tanya,
<br />
<br />I was txd 12 years ago and this was not offered back then.
<br />About 1 or 2 ago, a doc who was new to UNC told me I should get it. I told him no, as I had heard negative feedback about it. Someone not able to eat for months. I told UNC I would not do it, as I did not feel it was proven to prevent chronic rejection.....I already had chronic, so why bother. And I take omeprazole, and that works great.
<br />
<br />I just returned from my annual clinic ( I live 700 miles from UNC) and we were talking about it, and they also feel it is not proven and no they do not do it to every tx person. I know that Duke did that at one time, not sure what the protocol is now.
<br />
<br />Ask your center to provide some research for you to read.
<br />Before I got my lungs I did tons of research into lung tx and the like, it helped me going in to understand, and be able to ask some pertinent questions.
<br />
<br />Good luck
<br />Joanne

Transplantmommy

I had double lung and liver transplant 2.5 years ago and I did not have that done. My transplant docs have talked about it and wanted me to have a Ph probe done to test for acid reflux but when I went to have the test done, I choked on the tube too bad and they couldn't get it down my throat. I am on Nexium once a day and if I have any acid reflux, that seems to control it because I don't feel anything. So, as of right now, I have not had it done and I don't want it done.

Transplantmommy

I had double lung and liver transplant 2.5 years ago and I did not have that done. My transplant docs have talked about it and wanted me to have a Ph probe done to test for acid reflux but when I went to have the test done, I choked on the tube too bad and they couldn't get it down my throat. I am on Nexium once a day and if I have any acid reflux, that seems to control it because I don't feel anything. So, as of right now, I have not had it done and I don't want it done.

Transplantmommy

Transplantmommy

Transplantmommy