Nissen stomach wrap

nu65

My transplant team here at Duke has basically already signed me up for the Nissen fundoplication surgery sometime after my lung transplant because I have bad reflux (always have!). Do you know if I will need to continue to take my acid reflux medication? How horrible is it to not be able to throw up? And, how much pain were you in after the procedure? I know they do it laproscopically, but thats still more cuts. I've heard they also tend to put air in your stomach, which can be painful. Any experiences? Thanks!

nu65

My transplant team here at Duke has basically already signed me up for the Nissen fundoplication surgery sometime after my lung transplant because I have bad reflux (always have!). Do you know if I will need to continue to take my acid reflux medication? How horrible is it to not be able to throw up? And, how much pain were you in after the procedure? I know they do it laproscopically, but thats still more cuts. I've heard they also tend to put air in your stomach, which can be painful. Any experiences? Thanks!

nu65

nu65

nu65

TwistedTanya

I had the surgery myself about amonth after TX. You still end up taking some ant-acids b/c the meds in your stomach can cause problems but you shouldn't have to worry about refluxing. As far as not throwing up, in the beginning you might not be able to but I have 2 times since I had mine and I have a friend who was actually the first to get the Nissen surgery at Duke b/c his reflux was causing rejection, he says he can still throw up and burp. There are times when I can only dry heave but hopefully it will get better. The first few days there was a good bit of pain but it was a lot better after 2 weeks. The cuts you will get are nothing compared to the TX cuts. In my Nissen surgery, they made one incision in my bellybutton and that was it. It's a lot better to get the surgery after TX than before b/c you won't have the pain from coughing like you would if you did it before TX. Yea, they do put air in your stomach which will probably cause pain the first day but that will go away soon. You're stomach will probably go to sleep too and they'll make you take laxitives to get you going again. It took a lot to get me going...not fun! The operation is no fun of course but it's very important and you need to get it if you want your new lungs to last. I have had more issues with swallowing than anyone else I have talked to. I think they did my wrap too tight b/c I've had a hard time getting things down without pain. It's gotten much better but still somethings hurt. You might only have that issue for a couple of weeks. For some reason, I just have all the bizarre stuff happen to me. I wasn't even allowed to eat anything until I had the surgery done. The surgery has saved lives so do it!

TwistedTanya

I had the surgery myself about amonth after TX. You still end up taking some ant-acids b/c the meds in your stomach can cause problems but you shouldn't have to worry about refluxing. As far as not throwing up, in the beginning you might not be able to but I have 2 times since I had mine and I have a friend who was actually the first to get the Nissen surgery at Duke b/c his reflux was causing rejection, he says he can still throw up and burp. There are times when I can only dry heave but hopefully it will get better. The first few days there was a good bit of pain but it was a lot better after 2 weeks. The cuts you will get are nothing compared to the TX cuts. In my Nissen surgery, they made one incision in my bellybutton and that was it. It's a lot better to get the surgery after TX than before b/c you won't have the pain from coughing like you would if you did it before TX. Yea, they do put air in your stomach which will probably cause pain the first day but that will go away soon. You're stomach will probably go to sleep too and they'll make you take laxitives to get you going again. It took a lot to get me going...not fun! The operation is no fun of course but it's very important and you need to get it if you want your new lungs to last. I have had more issues with swallowing than anyone else I have talked to. I think they did my wrap too tight b/c I've had a hard time getting things down without pain. It's gotten much better but still somethings hurt. You might only have that issue for a couple of weeks. For some reason, I just have all the bizarre stuff happen to me. I wasn't even allowed to eat anything until I had the surgery done. The surgery has saved lives so do it!

TwistedTanya

kristenb

how was it determined that you all needed the Nissen? I am not nearing a transplant, however, my lung fxtn decline has been so rapid and i've had so many GI/reflux issues that they are first going to do a ph cap placement test? anyone have this first? thanks so much

kristenb

how was it determined that you all needed the Nissen? I am not nearing a transplant, however, my lung fxtn decline has been so rapid and i've had so many GI/reflux issues that they are first going to do a ph cap placement test? anyone have this first? thanks so much

kristenb

falbie13

Hey,
I had a pH probe and a swallowing test(where they stick a tube down your nose into your esophagus and measure the muscles as you swallow) before they decided if I needed a nissan. The pH probe came back normal but the swallow test showed esophageal dismobility, so I wasnt able to have the surgery. Now I just take reflux meds twice a day and sleep with the head of my bed propped up on bricks.

falbie13

Hey,
I had a pH probe and a swallowing test(where they stick a tube down your nose into your esophagus and measure the muscles as you swallow) before they decided if I needed a nissan. The pH probe came back normal but the swallow test showed esophageal dismobility, so I wasnt able to have the surgery. Now I just take reflux meds twice a day and sleep with the head of my bed propped up on bricks.

falbie13

Hey,
<br />I had a pH probe and a swallowing test(where they stick a tube down your nose into your esophagus and measure the muscles as you swallow) before they decided if I needed a nissan. The pH probe came back normal but the swallow test showed esophageal dismobility, so I wasnt able to have the surgery. Now I just take reflux meds twice a day and sleep with the head of my bed propped up on bricks.

kristenb

thanks, falbie13! we'll see how it goes. the test is not for a couple of months! i'm quite sure my pft decline is just good ól cf! i do want to know if acid is affecting my lungs, however, in the event that i receive a lung transplant-this way my new lungs are not damaged. take care and thanks for your input.

kristenb

thanks, falbie13! we'll see how it goes. the test is not for a couple of months! i'm quite sure my pft decline is just good ól cf! i do want to know if acid is affecting my lungs, however, in the event that i receive a lung transplant-this way my new lungs are not damaged. take care and thanks for your input.

kristenb