No more Formula

anonymous

Hi everyone, my son will turn 1 year old next week and I was wondering if any of you have problems going from formula to regular milk? and would he loose any weight after I stop his formula? Marcos is not a good eater. I was also wondering about how much does a 1year old weight?
Mom to Marcos (w/cf)

anonymous

We actually kept DS on formula at home until he was about 16-17 months old 'cuz he was such a rotten eater. When we did switch to whole milk -- we switched to Carnation instant breakfast made with whole milk and a little cream. And we dealt with constipation issues for a month or so. Liza

Mairi

Hi

Our son is almost 17 months and still has formula as he still has a bottle in first thing in the morning and before bed at night. When he turned one we tried him on cows milk but he wouldn't take it. Our older son (without CF) was exactly the same. We use cows milk in cooking but as a drink, is a no go! Our older son stopped having a bottle at about 20 months so in a few months we'll try the same with Liam.

Hope all goes well changing your son to cows milk - I don't imagine it should make alot of difference to his weight if you use full-fat milk. But maybe your sons dietician will be able to give you more advice.

anonymous

Even before we switched from Formula to milk, DS still got dairy products. He'd been eating whole milk yogurt since he was 6-7 months old. And we also added an ounce of cream to his formula when he was a year or so old.

At daycare they switched him shortly after he turned a year old, but we were going thru a tough time with getting him to eat anything, that we felt the extra calories, vitamins were more important. When he was a year and a half we had the constipation issues -- larger harder stools that were pretty traumatic. Think it's pretty much a baby thing and not a CF issue 'cuz I'd heard from other moms with noncfers that they had similar problems. Thank goodness for milk of magnesia.

Also, talk to your doctor about nutrition. They may want to increase your child's vitamin intake. Our doctor just suggested that we make sure we find some high calorie treats or snacks that we get DS in the habit of eating or drinking. We chose carnation instant breakfast made with cream and whole milk. Liza

CFHockeyMom

We made the switch very gradually with both boys. We started with just an ounce of whole milk in with 7oz of formula. We did that for a few days then added a bit more whole milk and a little less formula. After about two weeks we'd completely made the switch.

CFTwins

YEAH! A one-year old birthday! Our dietician switched us to PediaSure instead of milk... more calories. But, if I remember, Marcos is a nice big boy... so maybe he can skip that step?! You just might want to check with the dietician before switching.

TAKE CARE! - Stacy

CFTwins

By the way... on the weight. Maren is 15.5 pounds and Berne is 18.5lbs. They think she is too tiny (me too!)... She'll probably be 4 before she gets out of her carseat. Berne is finally hitting the growth curve.

Abby

My little girl went from formula to Pediasure at a year old. She drinks 3-4 8oz cans a day. It's expensive, but so worth the cost. It keeps her weight up even though she's not always a great eater. Michigan has an Early 5 program which reimbursed us for the pediasure on a monthly basis until she turned three. You may want to look into that in your state if your son's dietician recommends pediasure or something similar. She occasionally get whole milk, but I buy that more for mixing her scandishake. I hope he adjusts to the change from formula well.

JennifersHope

I was wondering, maybe I should know this already, but how come you guys don't give the kids heavy cream to drink, instead of milk? I think heavy cream is pretty inexpensive and it would for sure pack on the calories. Is it not as healthy for the kids?

THanks, Just wondering,

Jennifer

Haileysmommy

We gradually switched Hailey to whole milk and she did just fine with it. I think the hardest part for her was going from warm formula to cold milk but she did fine. We have not noticed a change in her weight. At her 1yr check up she was 27 lbs.

S

my mom has always said that "cow's milk is for baby cows". i have heard that humans don't absorb any calcium from the milk because another vitamin/mineral is needed to make this possible, i believe magnesium.

anonymous

We kept our little girl on the bottle (formula) for as long as she would take it. You have to be careful though, igonarnt people will chew you out for it. We actually had the nutrienist nazi in the hosipital come by and tell my wife everything she was doing wrong. I wanted to hunt that lady down and give her a piece of my mind. At the time, our girl was acutally on the weight chart. For the 1 to 1 1/2 yr olds, that means you are doing something right.

As far as cream in stead of milk, right now we are giving her hte scandashake in the mornings. Instead of 8 oz of milk we use 8 oz of half and half, and through some extra chocolate syrup in just for kicks.

folione

My son drank alimentum formula pretty much right from birth and despite its horrible smell/taste he really put up a fuss about switching to milk - I guess you can get used to anything if it's all you've known. We had to wean him onto milk by mixing a bit of the formula into it for quite awhile. Somewhere along the way we found that he liked yogurt smoothies; YoBaby brand are whole-milk instead of low fat. Now, at age 3, his preferred drink is a mixture of whole milk + cream + YoBaby: about 2 oz. each of cream and YoBaby + 4oz milk.

His nutritionist recommended "supermilk" consisting of whole milk spiked with cream to boost calories.

anonymous

Our doctor has really stressed the benefits of cream -- realatively in expensive and an ounce has 100 calories. Also, we get our carnation instant breakfast powder at sams club. Much cheaper. I mix up a quart every few days and keep it in the fridge using a whole milk and an ounce of cream per cup of milk.

Nows the time to get your child used to the taste 'cuz DH was raised in a house with only skim milk once they turned two and he HATES the taste of cream, whole milk, even 1% is too much for him.

We added an ounce of cream to ds's formula for extra calories. Also because we add a drop of vitamin a & e to his morning milk, we also added hershey's syrup or nestles quick to his morning bottle to mask the fishy taste of the vita a.

We also kept DS on a bottle after the age of 1 'cuz he hated sippy cups. The straw cups with the valve are horrible to clean but he does pretty good with a straw these days. It's just the early morning breakfast feeding he's kinda lethargic (sleepy), so we kept using the bottle. Figured better to use the bottle and have him get some calories than throw a fuss and not eat anything.

Liza

Lurking4now

My son is lactose intolerant...we use vanilla rice milk...lots more
carbs and calories than milk...maybe just another option...

fourkidsmom

Our son was breastfeed until about 1, then put on pediasure, which I give credit for keepiong his weight stable. He loves the strawberry- Thank goodness! Right now he just turned 5 is 43 inches tall and weighs 38 pounds.

Angie
Step mom to Brittany 14 no cf
Mom to Tyler 12, no cf, cf carrier
Mom to Brady 5 with cf
Mom to Taylor, no cf, but chromosome 9q 21.2 q 22.1 deletion