No more PA

Havoc

I agree with you all when you state that most people who go round saying they got rid of a certain bacteria actually just managed to produce a sputum sample that didn't contain any. The reason I can be more confident is that this culture came from BAL fluid. Could it be there? Possibly, but it's really hiding well if it escaped a bronchoscopy. To illustrate this, my culture in clinic was totally clean, yet the BAL fluid grew out aspergillus (small colonies between 200-700/ml).

Havoc

I agree with you all when you state that most people who go round saying they got rid of a certain bacteria actually just managed to produce a sputum sample that didn't contain any. The reason I can be more confident is that this culture came from BAL fluid. Could it be there? Possibly, but it's really hiding well if it escaped a bronchoscopy. To illustrate this, my culture in clinic was totally clean, yet the BAL fluid grew out aspergillus (small colonies between 200-700/ml).

nocode

Thanks for your answers. I always have mucus. Does this mean that I always have an infection or inflammation?

(Probably another reason why I need to start on the Vest!)

I once spoke to a CF friend who told me he spent about 2 hours every morning going through his CF treatment routine and if it wasn't for that, he wouldn't feel good during the day at all.
It made me think... I only spend about 30 min on it before leaving the house (coughing up for about 10-15 and nebulizing treatments), and then off to work. But then I feel that I have mucus all day. Could this be different if I spent more time getting rid of it in the morning? I feel it never goes away completely, but not sure how much effort I am really putting into it.

nocode

Thanks for your answers. I always have mucus. Does this mean that I always have an infection or inflammation?

(Probably another reason why I need to start on the Vest!)

I once spoke to a CF friend who told me he spent about 2 hours every morning going through his CF treatment routine and if it wasn't for that, he wouldn't feel good during the day at all.
It made me think... I only spend about 30 min on it before leaving the house (coughing up for about 10-15 and nebulizing treatments), and then off to work. But then I feel that I have mucus all day. Could this be different if I spent more time getting rid of it in the morning? I feel it never goes away completely, but not sure how much effort I am really putting into it.

Kristen

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Havoc</b></i> I agree with you all when you state that most people who go round saying they got rid of a certain bacteria actually just managed to produce a sputum sample that didn't contain any. The reason I can be more confident is that this culture came from BAL fluid. Could it be there? Possibly, but it's really hiding well if it escaped a bronchoscopy. To illustrate this, my culture in clinic was totally clean, yet the BAL fluid grew out aspergillus (small colonies between 200-700/ml).</end quote>
Oh wow, that is really great! My cultures are almost always throat swabs (because I can never produce at clinic) and my doc mentioned doing a bronch sometime.

Kristen

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Havoc</b></i> I agree with you all when you state that most people who go round saying they got rid of a certain bacteria actually just managed to produce a sputum sample that didn't contain any. The reason I can be more confident is that this culture came from BAL fluid. Could it be there? Possibly, but it's really hiding well if it escaped a bronchoscopy. To illustrate this, my culture in clinic was totally clean, yet the BAL fluid grew out aspergillus (small colonies between 200-700/ml).</end quote>
Oh wow, that is really great! My cultures are almost always throat swabs (because I can never produce at clinic) and my doc mentioned doing a bronch sometime.

Kristen

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>nocode</b></i> Thanks for your answers. I always have mucus. Does this mean that I always have an infection or inflammation? (Probably another reason why I need to start on the Vest!) I once spoke to a CF friend who told me he spent about 2 hours every morning going through his CF treatment routine and if it wasn't for that, he wouldn't feel good during the day at all. It made me think... I only spend about 30 min on it before leaving the house (coughing up for about 10-15 and nebulizing treatments), and then off to work. But then I feel that I have mucus all day. Could this be different if I spent more time getting rid of it in the morning? I feel it never goes away completely, but not sure how much effort I am really putting into it.</end quote>
You could always try different things and see if they help. I feel like I have to do a lot of trial and error.

Kristen

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>nocode</b></i> Thanks for your answers. I always have mucus. Does this mean that I always have an infection or inflammation? (Probably another reason why I need to start on the Vest!) I once spoke to a CF friend who told me he spent about 2 hours every morning going through his CF treatment routine and if it wasn't for that, he wouldn't feel good during the day at all. It made me think... I only spend about 30 min on it before leaving the house (coughing up for about 10-15 and nebulizing treatments), and then off to work. But then I feel that I have mucus all day. Could this be different if I spent more time getting rid of it in the morning? I feel it never goes away completely, but not sure how much effort I am really putting into it.</end quote>
You could always try different things and see if they help. I feel like I have to do a lot of trial and error.