Not diagnoised yet, later in life. Need some advice 59 yrs old

M

madmax33

Hi Everyone. Been reading and watching some post on here for some time. I have suspected CF for about 10 yrs now during my research and looking for answers to why I have been so ill. I am chronic now with many health problems and not doing well. I have had Many allergies, Chronic Asthma, Chronic Broncitus, IBS, Gastritis, IBD, Pancreatis, Spasm tic colon, colitis. (this have been the many diagnosis over the yrs. In 2010 I lost weight and went down to 80 lbs could not keep any thing in me. Had malnusorption disorder. the most frustrating thing is, to be so ill I am being so ignored by the medical community and being treated as if nothing is wrong with me, even with such chronic life threating conditions. (I also have never used any illegal drugs and am not a drinker) I found a endco out of this area and he did a bile duc surgery. In my search and obtaining my medical records I could see where I was rx with Malnusorption disorder. I have pancreatis insufficiency, and through this bile duc surgery ended up with prancritis and now take enzymes. I also have a fatty liver. I have been on so many antibiotics for sinus issues and the bronchitis which seems I have most of the time. I have very salty tasting sweat and just thought that was the norm. I also have a pace maker, Hashimotos disease. Migraines, Poly Neuropathy, Osteoporois, at age 45!. arthritis, Fibro, and just so many symptoms . Cant even think of all I have been diagnosed with as it is all so over whelming as I seem to get no where!! Treated as if this is normal and been told things like it is part of the aging process since I was in my 40s. I do have chronic pain also which is very debilitating due to my back and neck. Diagnosed with fibro also in late 90s. Ok now get to the current. I finally got a new Doc to order a sweat test for me. He thought I was crazy and said it is impossible. This is what I was told I need to get done First before I can get to a CF center. This was a Sweat Screen test? I tried to research the difference but understand this is what you have done and if a positive shows up then you get a referral. SO I did it, and my test came out positive with a Result of 90. . I also had a Pulmonary Dr do a bronoscopy back in 2011 and he said it was normal, (this was the yr of 7 antibiotics and a infection No antibiotic would touch. This has always bothered me since as he stated that my lungs where covered in a white sicky mucus and He had to clean out my trachea quite a bit as I had a lot of secretions. I pushed for this test and recall a Dr saying to him three times, are you going to biopsy that? He said no. Also he did a wash first for any culture he took? This Dr was watching nodules I had on my lungs. Did not seem to be much concerned about any thing else and said all I had was chronic asthma. Do now with the Positive sweat I have had to take this into my hands to get to the CF center. The Dr I got to order this and only have seen him twice, (he does not have most of my medical diagnoses and does not know my background) I am frustrated as trying to get help, it does not help when you are so ill and even with positive test, Dr just seem HELL BENT Where I live on ignoring you and treating you as if it is all in your head. Anyways It took a month to get to the CF Center. I did the follow up my self, the Dr never called me, his nurse did and she said he does not think you have CF. So yesterday I went to the CF center. This gets more confusing and why I am looking for some advice and help at this point. The Dr was very nice, seems very geniniune and wanted to help. He asked me what brought me there and why I thought I could have CF. So I proceeded to tell him. He brought up also, the average life of CF is 36. Also was telling me if would be very unlikely for my age!!! So this is what I do not understand at all. I obviously have other ailments. I have gone to the hosp 5 times since Dec of 2013 with severe chest pains, Left and right sided. Also had a very bad VP scan. Had a high d-dimmer and they suspected PE but was and has been dismissed. I finally was diagnosed with a Ct of Ammonia and pleurisy. But a other thing obtaining my records, I have two partial collapsed lungs and a plural effusion. No one told me. Looking back at records in feb I also had the two partial collapsed lungs. Also in 2008 My records show a plural effusion. I am so confused and lost as it could be many things. So again this is why I am writing here, for help and looking for some advice. I do not know what to think with the way I have been so dismissed where I live by these drs, but was really thrown off as to why the CF center Dr, also seemed to think it was almost unheard of at my age?? I am scheduled for a Sweat test there. this also concerns me, even if it is positive and I am told it is because of something else going on in my lungs? Or if it is neg, and the ball is dropped from there. I see where some people are neg sweat test, but test positive with the mutations. Also since they are now finding out so much about later in life CF, Being so ill and yes with all these others Problems, I feel like at my age, how would without test and following someone if they have CF , could find out if this is the culprit and the cause of many other health issues? None of the things I have been diagnosed with lately have seemed to make any sense at all. Does not run in my family, I am very chronic, mostly bed ridden and SOB so bad I feel like a very ill 100 yr old person. I have been this chronic since 2010 and have really declined this past yr. This Cf Doctor said he is going to do everything to help me. He will refer me out at that center if it is not CF. He also seems to be thinking cancer, and I did say I feel that bad it would not surprise me, but I have been so chronic for so long you think I would be dead. he agreed. I pray that is not what is wrong, and just want answers. I also have a Low Diffusion Capacity, which I have had for yrs . It is like 56%. My FEV seems to be good. I also asked a Dr of the ABG test, and that has 4 of them off, one was the PCO2 was low. So when I am told this is good, it is hard to understand when you are feeling like you cant breath! I also do not feel comfortable about these recent chest pains, with the VP test and still in the back of my head thinking of a Clotting disorder. this seems to be something I cannot get any Dr here to follow up on at all. My sister almost died this yr and was flight Helicoptered three times with Clots. She had a mesh in her leg and was cut open from the neck down the chest. My mother also had clots. This is very scary. Sorry for the very long post, I am hoping someone can jump in and give me there input on the CF end and where to go from here. My prayers to all of you.

W

welshwitch

Hi Max!

So sorry to hear about your health issues.

First thing: there are MANY people, and many people on this forum, who are diagnosed with CF later in life. 50's, 60's and 70's. So even though the "average" life span is only 36, many people surpass that. Me, I'm going to be 35 next week and have over 100% lung capacity. So there you go.

Next, it sounds like your sweat test was positive for CF? The sweat test is a good start, but the best way to test for CF is a full screen genetic test. I hope that at the CF center you can explore that option if the sweat test is not giving you answers.

Third, for the malabsorption issues: most of us with CF have to take digestive enzymes with our food. Our bodies do not process nutrients correctly. If you do indeed have CF, you can get a prescription for enzymes which should help a LOT.

So sorry you have been going through this. Please keep us posted of your diagnosis.

M

madmax33

Ty for a fast response.

Hi Max!

So sorry to hear about your health issues.

First thing: there are MANY people, and many people on this forum, who are diagnosed with CF later in life. 50's, 60's and 70's. So even though the "average" life span is only 36, many people surpass that. Me, I'm going to be 35 next week and have over 100% lung capacity. So there you go.

Next, it sounds like your sweat test was positive for CF? The sweat test is a good start, but the best way to test for CF is a full screen genetic test. I hope that at the CF center you can explore that option if the sweat test is not giving you answers.

Third, for the malabsorption issues: most of us with CF have to take digestive enzymes with our food. Our bodies do not process nutrients correctly. If you do indeed have CF, you can get a prescription for enzymes which should help a LOT.

So sorry you have been going through this. Please keep us posted of your diagnosis.

Yes, I was thrown off as to why the CF center thought it was almost unheard of? I am also on the enzyems and have been since 2010. This is the only way I have been able to keep on some weight. And yes the test I had at the hospital was positive, so That again threw me off, as again why The CF Center wanted to know why Did I think I Could have CF?? I just have been so dismissed and That does not help, and the Dr who actually ordered the test did not want to follow up to get me to the CF center so that could make the CF center wonder or think it could be something else, when the Dr who orders it does not want to even do a referral for you.

W

welshwitch

Could you go to another CF Center if you are not getting the support you need?

M

madmax33

This is the only place I have to go and 2 and a half hrs away. This fight I have been on and so weak at this point, I feel this is my last option here to find out if this is what I have. I do not want to dismiss them as of yet, as the Dr seemed very concerned. I am set up for a sweat test next week. Just have concerns and reservations at this point (because of how I have over all been treated by the medical community) Will they run a full genetic? Will they dismiss it even if it is positive, saying it is something else? I just do not know. To be honest, I did not expect the CF center with the test I had already, my lung problems, medical history and info they had to tell me , (Basically at my age of 59, very unlikely) These are the people I was expecting to say, Yes it is very possible you can have it. Seems with your history you could be one of the older people with Cf. I just did not expect this to go in the direction that I have many things wrong, and also in the direction of him even suspecting cancer???? What does that have to do with a salt test? Or all my other related health issues to CF. and like I said usually lung cancer wipes people out quick. this has been a long on going problem and biggest complaint of SOB your yrs. Seems the Sweat test is a very cut and dry diagnose of CF. This is how they diagnose it, correct if it is positive? I have read with a high Sweat there are only a other few very rare disorders that it would be. I also read, these people do not have the basic CF Symptoms either so it is easier to distinguish the difference. I have told my self, If it was cancer I would not be here. this is Chronic and been something I know in my genetic profile what I have lived with all my life. I know this. It is just taken a toll on me know. So this is what has me very confused but it has taken what seems like a life time and no breath left to get this far. when you are fighting for your life and searching out medical help for 14 yrs and knowing what you actually have by obtaining your own medical records and Drs just don't tell YOU???? It is very scary to me at this point and does not make any sense to me at all. I am hoping to move out of this area with my Daughter in this next year and hope for better medical care. But if I do have CF, would be nice to know and get the proper treatment and medical attention and hopefully improve the quality of my life some. Maybe with as sick as I am and all the other health issues I have, this CF Dr is just thinking it has to be something else?? Your guess is as good as mine, but the fact that I had a positive, (Screening test it was at the hospital) Just seems that the sweat test along with symptom's is such a clear diagnose for CF. Hopefully with that teat and the follow up with the Dr, I can get some correct answers. That's again for your help, I will keep you posted on the up coming test and results.

M

madmax33

When did you get diagnosed? Boy that is great you have a 100% lung function. I hope they find a cure soon. You have a great positive attitude. It makes a difference in life, no matter what life puts you through, when you have the support from others. (L)

W

welshwitch

I am lucky -- I was diagnosed at 9 months. My mom knew something wasn't right and I wasn't gaining weight like a normal baby should. When I was finally diagnosed and getting proper treatment and meds I starting putting on weight again and my parents were very relieved. They even moved us all out from Chicago to the San Francisco Bay Area to be near Stanford University (in the early 80's it was where CF Research was big -- still is!) So I was blessed with good medical care from the beginning.

M

madmax33

That is great. You live up by me. Sounds like treatment has helped you tremendously. I know about that center, It is about 4 hrs for me. I am in Northern ca. So I picked the closer one.

M

madmax33

Do you know what the difference is from the Sweat Test, (screening one) and the other Sweat test the CF centers use. I am confused on this. Have found different info. I had a Sweat Choroid Screening test? It is a machine they use with Diodes and attach to your inner arm? It takes about 45 minutes total. So the sweat is gathered up in these electrode's attached to your arm. This is the test I had, with the positive of 90. Now that is what I can not figure out, the CF does a actually sweat different then this test??? Why would they use this machine if that is not a diagnose tool for cf, what is the purpose then, and if it cant tell a positive for sure, cant they miss people who have a neg? The hospital up here , the nurse who did the test told me I am only the 2nd person they have tested in 30 yrs of my age and adult. It is used for children and babies. So it is obvious to me where I live, not something that is even considered. I was trying to do research in the test I had and only got more confused.

W

welshwitch

I have no idea. Like I said, I was diagnosed as a baby via sweat test. As a side note, I was re-diagnosed when I turned 25 via genetic test. (That's how I know my mutations!)

I go to the CF Center at Kaiser Oakland. It's worked well for me so far.

jshet

Not sure if this helps, but it sounds like you have a lot of your records. Maybe you could at least call another center and see if a doc. could look at your records. A lot of the doctors have their e mails on a hospitals website. Maybe send an e-mail with a brief history, and see if they are willing to take a look. This is essentially how my son was put on the road to his diagnoisis.
I hope you get some answers soon. The not knowing is the worst part.

M

madmax33

Thank you so much for the reply. I will wait to see what happens at the CF Center I just got into, I think My long story has just complicated what I was trying to get across, to many questions and trying to put yrs of my life, history and all in a page!!! your advice is good and depends on how much more energy I have, if I do not get any answers at this place. This Dr seemed very concerned, doing the sweat test next week, and then I follow up with him on the first of next month.