Not sure what to think about this article

anonymous

WELL done emily on emailing, if i get the chance I mite pop off an email myself! This article was AWFUL!! It was so negative and patronising and it sounds like those parents are just a TAD overprotective of their little girl. She'll probably grow up with the mindset 'Im goin to die early' because it seems thats what everyone around her is saying to her and about her! My paediatrition said to my parents when I was diagnosed at 6months, 'Dont treat her any differently then her older siblings, don't wrap her in cotton wool'. I firmly believe that is why I am still here today, and thats why I have achieved so much. UGH!

Shamrock, x

I have to say that Dr. is a quack. You have got to be joking.

"Their expectation may be to do a half-mile at any sort of pace and if they achieve that they have done something fantastic."

If thats anyones only expectations then I feel sad for them. i know that there are cases out there that may be severe at a younger age. I will tell you a little about what I accomplished. I played basketball in Middle school, was a dancer, was a cheerleader all through High School and was the captain I might add. I ran circles around other people my age. I got straight A's, spoke at my graduation. In
College I was President of the National HOnor Society in our School and again spoke in graduation. It takes a lot of hard work to do that but my CF did not hold me back. Did it throw me a few kinks? Yes, but it did not hold me back. I would cheer at a football game and go in the hospital the next day. I was not going to let CF take over my life and I still have that attitude.

I used to swim in the creek outside my grandmas house we still go to lakes. I cant live in a bubble. I too feel bad for that little girl I also agree with Emily that I don't want this bad publicity. We arent freaks. My brother would run the mile in under 6 minutes, he beat everyone in the school when he was in the 8th grade.

This whole thing has just really ticked me off

IrishRatticus

Personally i thought it sucked. I wasn`t a soccer captain, I was a
left back, and i crippled my fair share of forwards.<br>
<br>
Vinny, 34, CFer.

anonymous

I agree that the article was rather gloomy lacked proper information. I would say that the CFF probably would have loved this article as it plays on the sympathy card. They love to raise money and have articles like this one.

tonrsoul82

Excellent letter Emily I send him a email but not as in depth as
yours.  you obvisouly put some thought into it. Mine was
pretty short and to the point.  The editors reply was a simple
saying that us CFer's have to adjust to what our normal is.
 Well if this is the case then that family who formed a bubble
around their 2 year old is no where near normal to what we are
here.  The only bubble I have ever been in is the one I was
put in after I was born before my parents could take me home LOL.

Scottius

I'll add to the chorus and agree that the article was not in the best of taste. It had this Jerry Lewis "pity these freakish kids" tone to it. Strangely enough, not only did I run a mile, I ran cross-country through Junior High and most of High School. Granted I can't run a block now, but to write an article that basically sets up artificial limits on people is just irresponsible. Don't think it was done out of malice by any means, just ignorance.

thelizardqueen

This article thoroughly disgusted me. I read it like it played into every typical CF stererotype that we all know aren't necessarily true. The part that ticked me off the most was that as a CFer, we should have lowered expectations of ourselves. Excuse me?! - Never once did I miss a phys ed class throughout school, and never once was I one to finish last on any race, or any other type of sporting activity. In fact, I was on the track team for 3 years, finishing 8th out of 100 competitors during one of our usual competitions. I feel sorry for the way that little girl is being raised - no pools, lakes, swimming, etc. Come on - I swam in lakes, pools, water parks, etc all the time I was growing up. I played in the dirt, I drank tap water. I'm turning 25 this month, and up until recently had 80% of my lung function still. I think I may just write an email to that editor as well.

anonymous

Those who think the article is terrible need to realize that the point of this article is not to discuss CF as a whole. Instead it focuses on one family's experiences. Personally, I'm not in favor of walking on egg-shells around kids with CF or coddling to them because they're sick.

My parents never let me use CF as an excuse. We were mindful of it, but we knew that how it affected my life was ultimately up to us. In that sense, we were very much creating our own "normal".

Clearly the article was written from a human interest angle, as opposed to a health and science educational write-up. It was published with the smaller community in mind. As you can see from reading it, the family's experience with CF is very limited. They are a long way from the CF center where they receive care. I'm sure that fact alone has a lot to do with why their experience and point of view seem to perpetuate stereotypes.

As far as normal goes, normal is just a setting on the dryer. (Erma Bombeck)

-lightNlife

anonymous

Dear Mr. Wilson,

I recently read your article in the Reading Eagle, and was sorely disappointed by the way in which the struggles of cystic fibrosis were painted. I realize that you were writing mainly from a human interest angle and telling the story of one family in particular. However, the family you wrote about does not reflect the attitudes of many people (families, patients) with contend with cystic fibrosis on a regular basis. If we truly want to 'redefine normal' in order to live and thrive in spite of cystic fibrosis, then stories like yours should not presume to present the mainstream 'normal' CF experience.

Additionally, the human interest angle would have been better served if you had included a link to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation's website, or at least included a description of what CF is. Sadly, far too many people (perhaps even you and the Fortunato family) still consider cystic fibrosis to be a disease that kills children. Your article only reinforced that misperception.

Permit me to share my experience with cystic fibrosis. I hope you will pass it along to the Forutnato family to encourage them and remind them that normal doesn't have to be redefined, just better understood.

--

Because I was diagnosed at birth, I'm unable to give an account of what it was like to hear the diagnosis for the first time. I've heard my parents' version of what that was like. I was born on the fringe edge of all kinds of new developments for CF treatment, but there still wasn't much out there in terms of reading material or guidelines for my folks to go by. My mom says they basically handed her a leaflet about CF and told her that I might not live to see my 10th birthday.

That was nearly 26 years ago.

I never considered myself "sick" and still don't. I have recollections of what it was like to discover at an early age that I was different. When I was in kindergarten I thought it was the other kids who were strange for not needing to take enzymes with their food. I remember my dad teaching me at breakfast one morning how to swallow multiple pills at once with the help of a nice big glass of acidophilus milk. I remember getting in heaps of trouble for refusing to take my meds and instead stashing them around my bedroom. I remember wanting to play the xylophone in the school band and being told by my parents that I had to pick a big wind instrument that would provide good lung therapy (I chose the French horn - lots of sustained breathing!)

The most notable part of understanding that I had CF came when I was in 5th grade. This was the first time my family had ever heard of CF specialty team clinics. We got an appointment and were just astonished at the volume of information that was presented to us. I remember being more thrilled than scared. There were booklets about nutrition which for me was a real turning point. I typically have more difficulty with malabsorption than with lung infections. Being told that I could have as much fat as I could tolerate and as many calories as I could tolerate was the most exciting thing I had ever been told in my life. Up until that point I think I could count on one hand the number of times my family had eaten at a fast food restaurant.

We celebrated that night on the way home from the doctor's office by stopping at Denny's for a hot fudge sundae-my first ever.

I consider myself fortunate to have not been hospitalized until I was 13. I have to admit, this was largely due to my rebellion against taking my meds. The teenage years with CF were rough, but I'm sure that's true of anyone's teenage experience. Throughout high school I was hospitalized an average of once a year. When I got to college I had learned enough about how my body was affected by CF during times of stress, so I learned to voluntarily schedule my "tune-ups" around my breaks from school.

As I have gotten older, there have been additional diagnoses made, and those have been handled with as much grace as possible. Osteopenia. Allergies. Impaired glucose tolerance. Cepacia. Sinusitis. Each time something new is discovered, we (my family, husband and I) initially suck in a breath of air to brace ourselves for what these things mean. We have learned to plan for the worst but hope for the best. Throughout everything we have faced, we have learned that we don't need to be afraid of CF.

I'm not dying from CF-I'm living with it. And not just living. I'm thriving.

--

Respectfully,

Lauren

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://livingwellwithCF.blogspot.com
">http://livingwellwithCF.blogspot.com
</a>

littledebbie

I read the garbage article and read your letters to the dumbAs$
folks that published it (yeah, well said) I would like to
comment further but I'm thirsty and I'm going to go pour myself a
nice glass of pseudo filled water.  

icefisherman

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Jane</b></i>

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>catboogie</b></i>

</end quote></div>

I didn't like it at all. The title was interesting and from it, I expected more.

This part REALLY bugged me:

"Their expectation is not to be the captain of the football team or to run a mile with their peers," Reuben said. "Their expectation may be to do a half-mile at any sort of pace and if they achieve that they have done something fantastic."</end quote></div>

I don't like that part either. i can out hike most of the lazy @$$ kids my age, and can out work just about anyone. CF has made me stronger if anything. I'm never satisfied unless I have achieved my goal. If my classmates ran a mile, I would run 1.5. What kind of Doc. says things like that?
Ben

dyza

You know it crossed my mind that this family is non-existant, only exists in the small mind of the hack who wrote it.
There are far too many stereotypical examples of this family that it can't be true. Surely if they did exist, they would have learned something of CF by now.

Em what did the editor reply to your E-Mail with

anonymous

I wrote a letter to the editor of a newspaper in Iowa last year and copied it to the CFF of Iowa. They had an article about a woman with "cystic fibrosis" -- except it had to do with Polycystic Breast Disease -- she had fibrous tumors in her breasts. Never did get a response back from either entity. Liza aka ratatosk

anonymous

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>lightNlife</b></i>

Dear Mr. Wilson,

I recently read your article in the Reading Eagle, and was sorely disappointed by the way in which the struggles of cystic fibrosis were painted. I realize that you were writing mainly from a human interest angle and telling the story of one family in particular. However, the family you wrote about does not reflect the attitudes of many people (families, patients) with contend with cystic fibrosis on a regular basis. If we truly want to 'redefine normal' in order to live and thrive in spite of cystic fibrosis, then stories like yours should not presume to present the mainstream 'normal' CF experience.

Additionally, the human interest angle would have been better served if you had included a link to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation's website, or at least included a description of what CF is. Sadly, far too many people (perhaps even you and the Fortunato family) still consider cystic fibrosis to be a disease that kills children. Your article only reinforced that misperception.

Permit me to share my experience with cystic fibrosis. I hope you will pass it along to the Forutnato family to encourage them and remind them that normal doesn't have to be redefined, just better understood.

--

Because I was diagnosed at birth, I'm unable to give an account of what it was like to hear the diagnosis for the first time. I've heard my parents' version of what that was like. I was born on the fringe edge of all kinds of new developments for CF treatment, but there still wasn't much out there in terms of reading material or guidelines for my folks to go by. My mom says they basically handed her a leaflet about CF and told her that I might not live to see my 10th birthday.

That was nearly 26 years ago.

I never considered myself "sick" and still don't. I have recollections of what it was like to discover at an early age that I was different. When I was in kindergarten I thought it was the other kids who were strange for not needing to take enzymes with their food. I remember my dad teaching me at breakfast one morning how to swallow multiple pills at once with the help of a nice big glass of acidophilus milk. I remember getting in heaps of trouble for refusing to take my meds and instead stashing them around my bedroom. I remember wanting to play the xylophone in the school band and being told by my parents that I had to pick a big wind instrument that would provide good lung therapy (I chose the French horn - lots of sustained breathing!)

The most notable part of understanding that I had CF came when I was in 5th grade. This was the first time my family had ever heard of CF specialty team clinics. We got an appointment and were just astonished at the volume of information that was presented to us. I remember being more thrilled than scared. There were booklets about nutrition which for me was a real turning point. I typically have more difficulty with malabsorption than with lung infections. Being told that I could have as much fat as I could tolerate and as many calories as I could tolerate was the most exciting thing I had ever been told in my life. Up until that point I think I could count on one hand the number of times my family had eaten at a fast food restaurant.

We celebrated that night on the way home from the doctor's office by stopping at Denny's for a hot fudge sundae-my first ever.

I consider myself fortunate to have not been hospitalized until I was 13. I have to admit, this was largely due to my rebellion against taking my meds. The teenage years with CF were rough, but I'm sure that's true of anyone's teenage experience. Throughout high school I was hospitalized an average of once a year. When I got to college I had learned enough about how my body was affected by CF during times of stress, so I learned to voluntarily schedule my "tune-ups" around my breaks from school.

As I have gotten older, there have been additional diagnoses made, and those have been handled with as much grace as possible. Osteopenia. Allergies. Impaired glucose tolerance. Cepacia. Sinusitis. Each time something new is discovered, we (my family, husband and I) initially suck in a breath of air to brace ourselves for what these things mean. We have learned to plan for the worst but hope for the best. Throughout everything we have faced, we have learned that we don't need to be afraid of CF.

I'm not dying from CF-I'm living with it. And not just living. I'm thriving.

Respectfully,
Lauren

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://livingwellwithCF.blogspot.com
">http://livingwellwithCF.blogspot.com
</a></end quote></div>

Below is the letter I received in return. Bear in mind he's not not a particularly gifted writer. He missed the point of my letter, and didn't seem to notice that I said I have CF. The thing that really bugs me is that first he says it's not supposed to be represenative, and then in the very next sentence, he says it's representative of ANY chronic conditions?

<i>Ms. xxx,

Thank you for the response. You mentioned that you would like to have seen a description of what CF is -- down the right side of the page was a full description of the condition and what is being done in the hunt for a cure. I don't agree with you that the story portrayed CF as a disease that still is primarily a children's disease. Much of the story was given to the fact that CF sufferers are living longer and longer and the dilemma of non-pediatric doctors (especially those who have been practicing for many years) who do not have expertise with a condition that WAS primarily a pediatric concern. Frankly, I am confused as to why this article has generated such ill feeling. To me, the fact remains that nobody wants to outlive a child. And while it may seem over protective to keep a CF child away from the possibilities of bacterial or viral infections -- e.g. freshwater lakes, people with colds etc. -- can you blame the family especially when their child contracted pseudomonas from pouring herself a glass of drinking water? I understand the desire to view CF as no big deal -- but it is. Again, this was just one slice of CF from one family's experience. It was not meant to represent ALL CF sufferers, but give a little insight into the difficulties and concerns that go along with CF or ANY chronic condition.

I am sorry if the article upset you are anyone else. It certainly was not meant to.

Adam Wilson

Reading Eagle </i>

I also noticed that the article is inaccessible today. Is that just a glitch on my end of things? Is anyone else unable to view the article?

-lightNlife