Odd bowel movements in 6 mos old w cf

wiltonnh

Hello.
My 6 mos old with cf has had odd poop since birth. Once on enzymes-he was dx at 7days with newborn screening-the fattiness went away but odd sinewy, mucus stuff remains in his movements. His weight gain and growth are off the charts and he has no other symptoms. I have three older children and don't recall ever seeing this kind of poop.
We even did a 72 hour fecal fat and the results were normal.

My cf doctor is telling me to refer it to my pediatrician and my pediatrician is telling me to refer it to cf-typical. I do believe I need some GI insight and hope to get some at my next cf clinic appointment. In the meanwhile any parent out there have similar experience with their child's poop?

wiltonnh

Hello.
My 6 mos old with cf has had odd poop since birth. Once on enzymes-he was dx at 7days with newborn screening-the fattiness went away but odd sinewy, mucus stuff remains in his movements. His weight gain and growth are off the charts and he has no other symptoms. I have three older children and don't recall ever seeing this kind of poop.

My cf doctor is telling me to refer it to my pediatrician and my pediatrician is telling me to refer it to cf-typical. I do believe I need some GI insight and hope to get some at my next cf clinic appointment. In the meanwhile any parent out there have similar experience with their child's poop?

wiltonnh

Hello.

wiltonnh

Hello.

wiltonnh

Hello.

sdavis227

I swear that DSs poop had blobs of mucus in them about a month ago. We had a fecal fat done, though, and it was postitive. Since changing enzymes, it hasn't happened anymore.
Sorry if I was no help, just wanted to let you know that I (think) I have seen the same thing before.

sdavis227

I swear that DSs poop had blobs of mucus in them about a month ago. We had a fecal fat done, though, and it was postitive. Since changing enzymes, it hasn't happened anymore.
Sorry if I was no help, just wanted to let you know that I (think) I have seen the same thing before.

sdavis227

sdavis227

sdavis227

GriffinsMama

That happened to Griffin once. His poops had long strands of mucus in it.I took a picture of the poop in question so I could physically show the Dr what I was talking about. At our clinic at the time our Dr said it may have something to do with his liver. He sent us for lab work. It came back within normal range so we weren't put back on Actigall. Mind you, that was just *our* experience.

I think you should try to show your Dr. the poops if possible. Can you get a good photograph and e-mail it to his GI? It happens very very rarely with Griffin now but if it did happen again I would make sure to see his GI Dr.

GriffinsMama

That happened to Griffin once. His poops had long strands of mucus in it.I took a picture of the poop in question so I could physically show the Dr what I was talking about. At our clinic at the time our Dr said it may have something to do with his liver. He sent us for lab work. It came back within normal range so we weren't put back on Actigall. Mind you, that was just *our* experience.

I think you should try to show your Dr. the poops if possible. Can you get a good photograph and e-mail it to his GI? It happens very very rarely with Griffin now but if it did happen again I would make sure to see his GI Dr.

GriffinsMama

GriffinsMama

GriffinsMama

lightNlife

Has your child been on antibiotics recently? I know with someone so young that's maybe not likely. Mucus in the stool could be a sign of things being off-balance in the natural "bugs" in the gut. It could also be a symptom of colitis, especially if the BM doesn't stick together. Your child may be at the upper tolerance level for the type of enzymes being given. I'd check with the CF doctor and ask to have a stool sample analyzed. Not fun, I know.

I hope it works out okay.

lightNlife

Has your child been on antibiotics recently? I know with someone so young that's maybe not likely. Mucus in the stool could be a sign of things being off-balance in the natural "bugs" in the gut. It could also be a symptom of colitis, especially if the BM doesn't stick together. Your child may be at the upper tolerance level for the type of enzymes being given. I'd check with the CF doctor and ask to have a stool sample analyzed. Not fun, I know.

lightNlife

lightNlife

lightNlife