office exams

mom2lillian

I would have to disagree with some of the other views you have been given. I say you are only pregnant with that child once and you sohuld do the best you possibly can to give them as health an environment as possible. I dont think you should treat yourself like a fragile paranoid person but do the best you possible can do. Which in my mind means no pop, or straight juice for that matter, limited or no artificial sweetners, and try your absolute best to manage the diabetes so that you dont need insulin.

The following statments are that taken from experience with my pregnancy and both my sisters and the talkw iwth docs so it is not necessarily what yoru doc will say and who knows who is right but my doc has dealt with alot of cf pregnancies and I trusted her.

Allowing the diabetes to get to the point of needing insuline has a more dramatic affect on your placenta then if you dont. Diabetes in any form calcifies placenta and makes it more difficult for the baby to get nutrients and oxygen from (this is why they normally induce a pregnant woman and they ahve higher risk of c-section and fetal distress) which can cause growth restriction, soemthing those with CF are already at a higher risk for. In addition, one of the most common problems of children born to diabetics (more often insulin debendant ones) is reffered to as IDB - infant of diabetic mother and is when the childs blood sugars plummet soon after birht because once their pancreas forms they actually start to secrete insulin because their bodies are sensing the high blood sugars and trying to cope. If your child is 'IDB' it can cause problems with breastfeeding because often they will force formula on them to help adjust blood sugar since colostrum has little nutritive value.

Children born to diabetics have higher risk of a myriad of other factors so I say do anythign you can to keep teh GD under control without meds--that's just my 2 cents. BUT if you do need insulin then dont sweat it millions turned out fine on it and yours will too, it just complicates things (though there were times I wished I coudl 'just take insulin' so I could eat what I wanted a bit more).

mom2lillian

I would have to disagree with some of the other views you have been given. I say you are only pregnant with that child once and you sohuld do the best you possibly can to give them as health an environment as possible. I dont think you should treat yourself like a fragile paranoid person but do the best you possible can do. Which in my mind means no pop, or straight juice for that matter, limited or no artificial sweetners, and try your absolute best to manage the diabetes so that you dont need insulin.

The following statments are that taken from experience with my pregnancy and both my sisters and the talkw iwth docs so it is not necessarily what yoru doc will say and who knows who is right but my doc has dealt with alot of cf pregnancies and I trusted her.

Allowing the diabetes to get to the point of needing insuline has a more dramatic affect on your placenta then if you dont. Diabetes in any form calcifies placenta and makes it more difficult for the baby to get nutrients and oxygen from (this is why they normally induce a pregnant woman and they ahve higher risk of c-section and fetal distress) which can cause growth restriction, soemthing those with CF are already at a higher risk for. In addition, one of the most common problems of children born to diabetics (more often insulin debendant ones) is reffered to as IDB - infant of diabetic mother and is when the childs blood sugars plummet soon after birht because once their pancreas forms they actually start to secrete insulin because their bodies are sensing the high blood sugars and trying to cope. If your child is 'IDB' it can cause problems with breastfeeding because often they will force formula on them to help adjust blood sugar since colostrum has little nutritive value.

Children born to diabetics have higher risk of a myriad of other factors so I say do anythign you can to keep teh GD under control without meds--that's just my 2 cents. BUT if you do need insulin then dont sweat it millions turned out fine on it and yours will too, it just complicates things (though there were times I wished I coudl 'just take insulin' so I could eat what I wanted a bit more).

mom2lillian

mom2lillian

mom2lillian

wanderlost

Haley -
as Caroline said, you can decline the internals - they usually start about 36-37 weeks. I never had any with either of my kids, because both came before that time. I was planning on refusing them with my daughter though. I did request the GBS test with her when I was about 32 weeks because since my son came early, I wanted to be sure I was GBS free if she came early - which she did. Just FYI, my kids were born at 34.5 and 36 weeks and neither spent any time in the NICU - so after about 33-34 weeks it's a crap shot whether their lungs are set to go yet or not.

I have to agree with Nicole in the health aspect though - you only have 10 weeks left - why not give the baby the healthiest ten weeks? I did drink one coke a day when pregnant (after 14 weeks anyway) I am too addicted to the caffeine, but I wasn't diabetic either.

Good luck - that babe will be here before you know it!

wanderlost

Haley -
as Caroline said, you can decline the internals - they usually start about 36-37 weeks. I never had any with either of my kids, because both came before that time. I was planning on refusing them with my daughter though. I did request the GBS test with her when I was about 32 weeks because since my son came early, I wanted to be sure I was GBS free if she came early - which she did. Just FYI, my kids were born at 34.5 and 36 weeks and neither spent any time in the NICU - so after about 33-34 weeks it's a crap shot whether their lungs are set to go yet or not.

I have to agree with Nicole in the health aspect though - you only have 10 weeks left - why not give the baby the healthiest ten weeks? I did drink one coke a day when pregnant (after 14 weeks anyway) I am too addicted to the caffeine, but I wasn't diabetic either.

wanderlost

Haley -

wanderlost

Haley -

wanderlost

Haley -

hbollotte

thanks again. i'm trying to do my best on what i eat and drink. i would rather not have to take insulin if i can help it. it won't be hard to do for ten weeks. i'm not addicted to caffeine, but i love carbonated drinks like caff. free coke, sunkist, and sprite. i found a drink today - cherry coke zero - no carbs or sugar, so i drank that today.

i'm very anxious to see what the high risk ob says about my sugar levels. out of checking my sugar 26 times, my sugars have been over 120 six times. i check them when i wake up, and two hours after breakfast, lunch, and supper.

hbollotte

thanks again. i'm trying to do my best on what i eat and drink. i would rather not have to take insulin if i can help it. it won't be hard to do for ten weeks. i'm not addicted to caffeine, but i love carbonated drinks like caff. free coke, sunkist, and sprite. i found a drink today - cherry coke zero - no carbs or sugar, so i drank that today.

i'm very anxious to see what the high risk ob says about my sugar levels. out of checking my sugar 26 times, my sugars have been over 120 six times. i check them when i wake up, and two hours after breakfast, lunch, and supper.

hbollotte

hbollotte

hbollotte

AnD

I don't know if this will help you or not, but I have my old log book from when I was pregnant, and my numbers the second week I was controling my BS with diet were as follows:

mon.- wake up, 92, after b'fast (2 hrs) 135, after lunch 96, after dinner 131.

tues- w.u. 88, a.b. 146, a.l. 112, a.d. 141

wed. w.u. 85, a.b. 136, a.l. 83, a.d. 113

thur. w.u. 82, a.b. 125, a.l. 114, a.d. 119

fri. w.u. 81, a.b.125, a.l. 114 a.d. 119

sat. w.u. 80 a.b. 122 a.l. 111, a.d. 128

sun. w.u. 80, a.b. 117, a.l. 103, a.d. 176

I didn't go on insulin, and our daughter was born at 34 weeks too (one week in the hospital- couldn't keep her temp up the first couple of days).

I didn't give you the first week, because they were awful while I was finding out what set my blood sugars through the roof, and what didn't, and as I was adjusting to my "can't eat everything I want, whenever I want" diet lol. Somethings that should have sent them up didn't thought- noodles (like spagetti and meatballs? And I can still eat that now that I have CFRD???), and other noodles (like mac and cheese) didn't either. One tiny, tiny jellybean though, and they were over the limit... lol

AnD

I don't know if this will help you or not, but I have my old log book from when I was pregnant, and my numbers the second week I was controling my BS with diet were as follows:

I didn't go on insulin, and our daughter was born at 34 weeks too (one week in the hospital- couldn't keep her temp up the first couple of days).

I didn't give you the first week, because they were awful while I was finding out what set my blood sugars through the roof, and what didn't, and as I was adjusting to my "can't eat everything I want, whenever I want" diet lol. Somethings that should have sent them up didn't thought- noodles (like spagetti and meatballs? And I can still eat that now that I have CFRD???), and other noodles (like mac and cheese) didn't either. One tiny, tiny jellybean though, and they were over the limit... lol

AnD

AnD

AnD