Oh heck, they messed up all his meds

TestifyToLove

They released M for home IVs today. We got home health set-up, got his meds going.

We're having a problem with his name. Its related to the adoption and the fact that we started his care in his legal name but the state put his medical card in his new name, which won't be a legal name until we finish his adoption.

So, we had to have all his scripts re-written in the correct name. And, since they overhauled a bunch of them again, we needed scripts anyway.

They outright forgot 2 meds. One of those is Tobi. That's not a biggie, I'm supposed to take him to clinic on Thursday, he's now in his off month and he's getting Tobi IV for 9 more days.

But, Dh went to the pharmacy, picked up the bag, grumbled that medical card wouldn't pay the co-pay for Prevacid and brought the massive paper bag home.

Once he got here, we discovered that the resident wrote EVERYTHING for PILLS. He's 6. He just learned to swallow pills a month ago. He still gags on his enzymes but hates the applesauce and makes himself swallow them. So, all his vitamins that are supposed to be super bio-attainable liquids because his vitamins are CRITICALLY low are just over the counter pills, at least half of them horse pills. His Prevacid isn't even the solutab now. NOTHING is liquid, nor easily absorbed nor easy for him to take.

And, now that insurance has paid for a month's worth of this stuff, DH says they may refuse to pay for another script of it.

I am SO ticked off! This child cannot swallow the 12 pills beyond his enzymes this resident has now set up for him to swallow. And, I'm sure he was just careless because he actually wrote it all to be administered by g-tube and we don't USE his g-tube.

What do I do? Tomorrow, he's supposed to swallow a dozen horsepills in addition to his enzymes. I've got enough Prevacid until we can straighten this out. But, we were already having problems getting the clinic to do something about his vitamins before this and had to resort back to ADEK so he wouldn't be without vitamins. Dh says to keep giving him the ADEK until we can get the correct meds.

Ugh! I am SO not happy about this. He can't swallow all these pills. What was the resident thinking, or the pharmacy for that matter? Clearly horsepills, some enteric coated, cannot be administered via g-tube!

TestifyToLove

They released M for home IVs today. We got home health set-up, got his meds going.

We're having a problem with his name. Its related to the adoption and the fact that we started his care in his legal name but the state put his medical card in his new name, which won't be a legal name until we finish his adoption.

So, we had to have all his scripts re-written in the correct name. And, since they overhauled a bunch of them again, we needed scripts anyway.

They outright forgot 2 meds. One of those is Tobi. That's not a biggie, I'm supposed to take him to clinic on Thursday, he's now in his off month and he's getting Tobi IV for 9 more days.

But, Dh went to the pharmacy, picked up the bag, grumbled that medical card wouldn't pay the co-pay for Prevacid and brought the massive paper bag home.

Once he got here, we discovered that the resident wrote EVERYTHING for PILLS. He's 6. He just learned to swallow pills a month ago. He still gags on his enzymes but hates the applesauce and makes himself swallow them. So, all his vitamins that are supposed to be super bio-attainable liquids because his vitamins are CRITICALLY low are just over the counter pills, at least half of them horse pills. His Prevacid isn't even the solutab now. NOTHING is liquid, nor easily absorbed nor easy for him to take.

And, now that insurance has paid for a month's worth of this stuff, DH says they may refuse to pay for another script of it.

I am SO ticked off! This child cannot swallow the 12 pills beyond his enzymes this resident has now set up for him to swallow. And, I'm sure he was just careless because he actually wrote it all to be administered by g-tube and we don't USE his g-tube.

What do I do? Tomorrow, he's supposed to swallow a dozen horsepills in addition to his enzymes. I've got enough Prevacid until we can straighten this out. But, we were already having problems getting the clinic to do something about his vitamins before this and had to resort back to ADEK so he wouldn't be without vitamins. Dh says to keep giving him the ADEK until we can get the correct meds.

Ugh! I am SO not happy about this. He can't swallow all these pills. What was the resident thinking, or the pharmacy for that matter? Clearly horsepills, some enteric coated, cannot be administered via g-tube!

TestifyToLove

TestifyToLove

TestifyToLove

<br />
<br />We're having a problem with his name. Its related to the adoption and the fact that we started his care in his legal name but the state put his medical card in his new name, which won't be a legal name until we finish his adoption.
<br />
<br />So, we had to have all his scripts re-written in the correct name. And, since they overhauled a bunch of them again, we needed scripts anyway.
<br />
<br />They outright forgot 2 meds. One of those is Tobi. That's not a biggie, I'm supposed to take him to clinic on Thursday, he's now in his off month and he's getting Tobi IV for 9 more days.
<br />
<br />But, Dh went to the pharmacy, picked up the bag, grumbled that medical card wouldn't pay the co-pay for Prevacid and brought the massive paper bag home.
<br />
<br />Once he got here, we discovered that the resident wrote EVERYTHING for PILLS. He's 6. He just learned to swallow pills a month ago. He still gags on his enzymes but hates the applesauce and makes himself swallow them. So, all his vitamins that are supposed to be super bio-attainable liquids because his vitamins are CRITICALLY low are just over the counter pills, at least half of them horse pills. His Prevacid isn't even the solutab now. NOTHING is liquid, nor easily absorbed nor easy for him to take.
<br />
<br />And, now that insurance has paid for a month's worth of this stuff, DH says they may refuse to pay for another script of it.
<br />
<br />I am SO ticked off! This child cannot swallow the 12 pills beyond his enzymes this resident has now set up for him to swallow. And, I'm sure he was just careless because he actually wrote it all to be administered by g-tube and we don't USE his g-tube.
<br />
<br />What do I do? Tomorrow, he's supposed to swallow a dozen horsepills in addition to his enzymes. I've got enough Prevacid until we can straighten this out. But, we were already having problems getting the clinic to do something about his vitamins before this and had to resort back to ADEK so he wouldn't be without vitamins. Dh says to keep giving him the ADEK until we can get the correct meds.
<br />
<br />Ugh! I am SO not happy about this. He can't swallow all these pills. What was the resident thinking, or the pharmacy for that matter? Clearly horsepills, some enteric coated, cannot be administered via g-tube!

LeneSouthAfrica

How frustrating! Sometimes it happens though, so always best to triple-check everything. My suggestion: Phone the pharmacy and the doctor ASAP and explain the problem, and ask them to take back the meds, credit you again, and then recharge for the correct stuff. (Don't know if this is how they do it in USA, but that's what happens where I stay)

LeneSouthAfrica

How frustrating! Sometimes it happens though, so always best to triple-check everything. My suggestion: Phone the pharmacy and the doctor ASAP and explain the problem, and ask them to take back the meds, credit you again, and then recharge for the correct stuff. (Don't know if this is how they do it in USA, but that's what happens where I stay)

LeneSouthAfrica

LeneSouthAfrica

LeneSouthAfrica

Buckeye

Ditto - call the pharmacy and see if they can give you the liquid version instead and if they need a different script them call the doctor to get the rx changed.<br>Is there a reason you do not use the g-tube for meds? Personally I think that one of the huge (if not only) benefits of the g-tube is that I can just put the meds in there. My son is on one pill that just does not come in a liquid form so we use a pill crusher to crush it up, mix it with water and put it in the g-tube.

Buckeye

Ditto - call the pharmacy and see if they can give you the liquid version instead and if they need a different script them call the doctor to get the rx changed.<br>Is there a reason you do not use the g-tube for meds? Personally I think that one of the huge (if not only) benefits of the g-tube is that I can just put the meds in there. My son is on one pill that just does not come in a liquid form so we use a pill crusher to crush it up, mix it with water and put it in the g-tube.

Buckeye

Buckeye

Buckeye

Liza

I am so sorry to hear about the residents screw up. Sometimes I swear they just don't think. We've had our fair share of dealing with some hardheaded ones and one just plain stupid one. Told us something about Anna's tonsils, which were REMOVED along with her adenoids when she was 6, she was 19 when he said this! HELLO! YOU LOOKED IN HER MOUTH! Anyway, off subject...

Have ya'll tried Source CF vitamins? They are available in a liquid and if you order it directly through the company you don't need a script, buy 3 bottles and shipping is free. They are designed especially for CF patients. But this will not solve your immediate problem.

Too late now, but always check your meds before leaving the pharmacy. They most likely will not take back the meds. but it's worth a try. Explaining to them about the residents screw up, maybe they will credit the ins. back and redo the order with the liquid meds. Also, they can check with the ins. co. to see if they will cover a new script for liquids, do you have private ins. or is it Medicaid? (since he is a ward of the state at the moment until your adoption in finalized) Why did they not catch that they were giving all these pills to a 6yr old or even mention to your husband when he was picking them up that "wow your 6 yr.old can swallow pills"? Call you clinic and tell them what happened first thing Monday morning and ask them if they have any samples incase you can't get the meds. Ask them what in the world you are supposed to do because the resident screwed up?! He is the physician and you are new to all this, you trusted that the right things would be ordered and this is just too important and too much money you're dealing with here.

Be sure to develope a relationship with your pharmacy. Get to know them, they will look out for you. Let them know that he needs liquids and please if they notice his scripts are written for pills and you didn't catch it, he needs liquids. They will/can call and request a new script for you. Personally, I love Target pharmacy, no matter where we've been, they have been great.

I so hope this can be resolved quickly for you. All this stress and it was a Friday too.

Liza

I am so sorry to hear about the residents screw up. Sometimes I swear they just don't think. We've had our fair share of dealing with some hardheaded ones and one just plain stupid one. Told us something about Anna's tonsils, which were REMOVED along with her adenoids when she was 6, she was 19 when he said this! HELLO! YOU LOOKED IN HER MOUTH! Anyway, off subject...

Have ya'll tried Source CF vitamins? They are available in a liquid and if you order it directly through the company you don't need a script, buy 3 bottles and shipping is free. They are designed especially for CF patients. But this will not solve your immediate problem.

Too late now, but always check your meds before leaving the pharmacy. They most likely will not take back the meds. but it's worth a try. Explaining to them about the residents screw up, maybe they will credit the ins. back and redo the order with the liquid meds. Also, they can check with the ins. co. to see if they will cover a new script for liquids, do you have private ins. or is it Medicaid? (since he is a ward of the state at the moment until your adoption in finalized) Why did they not catch that they were giving all these pills to a 6yr old or even mention to your husband when he was picking them up that "wow your 6 yr.old can swallow pills"? Call you clinic and tell them what happened first thing Monday morning and ask them if they have any samples incase you can't get the meds. Ask them what in the world you are supposed to do because the resident screwed up?! He is the physician and you are new to all this, you trusted that the right things would be ordered and this is just too important and too much money you're dealing with here.

Be sure to develope a relationship with your pharmacy. Get to know them, they will look out for you. Let them know that he needs liquids and please if they notice his scripts are written for pills and you didn't catch it, he needs liquids. They will/can call and request a new script for you. Personally, I love Target pharmacy, no matter where we've been, they have been great.

I so hope this can be resolved quickly for you. All this stress and it was a Friday too.

Liza

Liza

Liza

<br />
<br />Have ya'll tried Source CF vitamins? They are available in a liquid and if you order it directly through the company you don't need a script, buy 3 bottles and shipping is free. They are designed especially for CF patients. But this will not solve your immediate problem.
<br />
<br />Too late now, but always check your meds before leaving the pharmacy. They most likely will not take back the meds. but it's worth a try. Explaining to them about the residents screw up, maybe they will credit the ins. back and redo the order with the liquid meds. Also, they can check with the ins. co. to see if they will cover a new script for liquids, do you have private ins. or is it Medicaid? (since he is a ward of the state at the moment until your adoption in finalized) Why did they not catch that they were giving all these pills to a 6yr old or even mention to your husband when he was picking them up that "wow your 6 yr.old can swallow pills"? Call you clinic and tell them what happened first thing Monday morning and ask them if they have any samples incase you can't get the meds. Ask them what in the world you are supposed to do because the resident screwed up?! He is the physician and you are new to all this, you trusted that the right things would be ordered and this is just too important and too much money you're dealing with here.
<br />
<br />Be sure to develope a relationship with your pharmacy. Get to know them, they will look out for you. Let them know that he needs liquids and please if they notice his scripts are written for pills and you didn't catch it, he needs liquids. They will/can call and request a new script for you. Personally, I love Target pharmacy, no matter where we've been, they have been great.
<br />
<br />I so hope this can be resolved quickly for you. All this stress and it was a Friday too.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />