On the list

mattemo

hey folks! new here to the forum. a little about me - i'm 34, diagnosed with cf at a young age (3 maybe? i forgot exactly), and have just recently been listed for a transplant. i'm somewhat terrified, but also kind of excited about the possibilities. i've never talked to anyone with cf (that i know of?), nor someone who has been through the transplant. so any advice or comments would be appreciated.

one thing in particular that i'm curious about, is what kind of fitness my body will be in after the transplant? the doctors are a bit vague when it comes to this because i don't think they understand that i've been very athletic my whole life (even compared to a lot of healthy people). will i be able to go for a run, do push ups, etc.? do the new meds i'll be on cause muscle weakness? how long will it take till i'm back to normal?

cftransplant

If you are out of the hospital within a couple of weeks, you will not loose extensive conditioning. If you have a rather long tough course, things will be tougher. At your age you will recover quickly and can get back to exercise which will benefit the new lungs. Push ups, not for a while, the chest will not be as strong from my experience. Great recovery within months to a year or more. Every course is different and some have more issues so things take longer. No one can tell you what issues or infections you may have, or the interactions of the drugs, or potential rejection issues, or whatever. You do not wake up with a warranty card stapled to your chest. You will have an adventure.

The drugs have different side effects on everyone, and there is a range of medications you may be on. This is a difficult to impossible question to answer. Example: cipro can cause tendon issues.

I was very active prior to TX for my first 50 years, a little less now (I'm getting old). Plan on exercise post TX for the rest of your life.

CF 62 cepacia 12.5 years out

mattemo

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I guess that's kind of why my doctors are so vague. It's good to read about so many people doing so well though.