once your fev 1 is down can it be improved

Ricky123

okay i have had a recent drop in my lung function recently my fev1 went from 84% in april 2006 to 73% in april 2007 iam wondering if this can be reversed ie will i ever get back up to the 80s again i heard though that lung damage is irreversable so once damaged lung tissue can not be mended

Ricky123

okay i have had a recent drop in my lung function recently my fev1 went from 84% in april 2006 to 73% in april 2007 iam wondering if this can be reversed ie will i ever get back up to the 80s again i heard though that lung damage is irreversable so once damaged lung tissue can not be mended

Ricky123

Jane

Digital opinion leader
My boys had very low PFTs last year (both around 39 I think). After 6 months of IV antibiotics for mycobacteria, their CT scans showed 80% improvement. Jesse's latest PFTs were 70. (Josh does PFTs reluctantly and without much effort so his scores aren't true).

So, in our case, things got better.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
My boys had very low PFTs last year (both around 39 I think). After 6 months of IV antibiotics for mycobacteria, their CT scans showed 80% improvement. Jesse's latest PFTs were 70. (Josh does PFTs reluctantly and without much effort so his scores aren't true).

Jane

Digital opinion leader

jdubbs

hi, Ricky -

My understanding is that scarred lung tissue cannot heal itself. However, just because your pfts are down doesn't mean the tissue is necessarily beyond mending. Inflammation can cause a reductions in your pfts, and inflammation is a temporary condition (albeit a chronic temporary condition in our case). This isn't to mention the fact that these tests aren't without any margin of error.

That said, any significant drop like that should be taken very seriously and you should be quick to comply with all the recommendations of your physician.

Best,

James

30 with cf

jdubbs

hi, Ricky -

My understanding is that scarred lung tissue cannot heal itself. However, just because your pfts are down doesn't mean the tissue is necessarily beyond mending. Inflammation can cause a reductions in your pfts, and inflammation is a temporary condition (albeit a chronic temporary condition in our case). This isn't to mention the fact that these tests aren't without any margin of error.

That said, any significant drop like that should be taken very seriously and you should be quick to comply with all the recommendations of your physician.

Best,

James

30 with cf

jdubbs

hi, Ricky -

Best,

James

30 with cf

M

MCGrad2006

I have to agree with what JDubbs said. Just because your PFT nmebrs went down, doesnt mean that its completely permamanent damage. My PFT's went down from 89-84-78-74-64 in like a 5 month span (from Sept 2006-Jan 2007) and now they are back to 96%! This was after a two week course of IV's then two week hypertonic saline, and two weeks of Tobi. But that low number was in January and they started to come right back. I mean, not to get your hopes down or up, but that doesn always happen. I have worked very hard to be compliant with my meds over these past few months. When I had my downward spiral I was not doing meds all the time, very rarely and luckily I, so far have been able to get that function back.

M

MCGrad2006

I have to agree with what JDubbs said. Just because your PFT nmebrs went down, doesnt mean that its completely permamanent damage. My PFT's went down from 89-84-78-74-64 in like a 5 month span (from Sept 2006-Jan 2007) and now they are back to 96%! This was after a two week course of IV's then two week hypertonic saline, and two weeks of Tobi. But that low number was in January and they started to come right back. I mean, not to get your hopes down or up, but that doesn always happen. I have worked very hard to be compliant with my meds over these past few months. When I had my downward spiral I was not doing meds all the time, very rarely and luckily I, so far have been able to get that function back.

M

MCGrad2006

Sreh

I have to agree it is the scarred tissue that can't be mended. a few years ago I had a pft's of 23% I went through a lot of work to get it back. After some time I was back up to 40%. So yes, you can regain that function back. Do everything your doctor instructs and be diligent and consistant with everything. I hope you gain that function back, may be tough but i believe you can do it =)

Sreh

I have to agree it is the scarred tissue that can't be mended. a few years ago I had a pft's of 23% I went through a lot of work to get it back. After some time I was back up to 40%. So yes, you can regain that function back. Do everything your doctor instructs and be diligent and consistant with everything. I hope you gain that function back, may be tough but i believe you can do it =)

Sreh

Scarlett81

It depends on why you lost the function, like every one said. Since your pfts are so high I'd think you have a good chance of getting some function back.
I had fev1 in the 50s for 4 years or so and got it up to 75 with a year + of hard work and a new doctor. So it is definately possible. Ask your cf team what you'd have to do to get it up again. Come up with a plan.

Scarlett81

It depends on why you lost the function, like every one said. Since your pfts are so high I'd think you have a good chance of getting some function back.
I had fev1 in the 50s for 4 years or so and got it up to 75 with a year + of hard work and a new doctor. So it is definately possible. Ask your cf team what you'd have to do to get it up again. Come up with a plan.

Scarlett81