Open frontal sinus surgery

brad.johns

Hey, I was wondering if anyone could shed a little more light on the recovery time after an open frontal sinus surgery? I am going to have this done next week and I just want to try to get as much info about what to expect before this happens. Any information would be appreciated. I was told recovery time would be 2-3 weeks. However, I think my doctor is giving me recovery times for a normal person and not one with CF.

Brad - My son is supposed to have the same surgery as soon as he can manage to work it out with his job, probably later this year. He was told by his ENT the same recovery time and his ENT has been the same one since he was 4 years old, he is now 25. I am assuming his ENT was talking about the recovery time for my son with CF but you made me think maybe he was only thinking someone without CF. I also saw your PM just now. I am not on Facebook so I can not talk with you there. I will reply to your message if you can look for it on here. Good luck with the surgery and everything!:)

brad.johns

Brad - My son is supposed to have the same surgery as soon as he can manage to work it out with his job, probably later this year. He was told by his ENT the same recovery time and his ENT has been the same one since he was 4 years old, he is now 25. I am assuming his ENT was talking about the recovery time for my son with CF but you made me think maybe he was only thinking someone without CF. I also saw your PM just now. I am not on Facebook so I can not talk with you there. I will reply to your message if you can look for it on here. Good luck with the surgery and everything!:)

Thanks believingjesus. Sure I will be looking for your message. It has been a while since I have logged in. That is why I have not messaged you sooner. I am getting a PICC tomorrow to prep my lungs for the surgery. I always end up with pneumonia after surgery. Praying that we get me on the right meds so that recovery is quick. I will let you know what to expect once I have recovered. Praying that this does the trick as this is my 9th sinus surgery.

Oh wow! I didn't know you could get pneumonia after sinus surgery. That makes me nervous. My son has had several sinus surgeries too, one that didn't go so well, but it turned out okay. It will all work out and I will pray for you. Please keep me informed how it goes for you.

Good luck!! My son has had multiple sinus surgeries to clear out polyps and flush things out. The few times we just stayed overnight at the hospital and went right home the next day he ended up with lung infections and it was rough. The new practice became to stay in for a one-two week tune up with IV meds starting a few days before the surgery and staying in hospital for the rest of the 2 weeks. So much crud is sprayed around in your sinuses and a bit always seems to end up in the lungs. Most patients don't have to worry about that, but those with CF do.

If you are still able to take oral antibiotics, ask for a prescription for a 2 week term or a refillable one week term. My son isn't able to take oral antibiotics any longer, so that's why we schedule it around a tube-up.ake sure your CF doctors know you are going in for this surgery and get their opinion on how you can be proactive to stay healthy and avoid your pneumonia that you say you get after surgeries.

You ou will feel so much better and have less sinus infections, but will be sore for about a week. Best of luck and I'm sure you will do great!

brad.johns

Oh wow! I didn't know you could get pneumonia after sinus surgery. That makes me nervous. My son has had several sinus surgeries too, one that didn't go so well, but it turned out okay. It will all work out and I will pray for you. Please keep me informed how it goes for you.

Found out on Wednesday that my surgery will last 3 hours. They are going to remove bone in my forehead and then drill out larger passageways so that the frontal sinuses will drain properly. He is also going to cut a hole in the sinus passages so that if one side stops up then when that side fills up it will drain out of that opening between the sinuses and come out on the other side. Hoping this works. Praying no pneumonia or infection after surgery.

Oh goodness Brad! It sounds painful! My son came back here at the end of January and had a horrible headache and I got an emergency appointment with his ENT and he suggested the surgery you are talking about. My son puts things off until he absolutely has to do them but hopefully he will manage to get it done by this Fall. I prayed for you and I will continue to do that. I've been wondering how it went. What day is your surgery?

I had this surgery done last year. Good news is 1 year later my sinuses are still open and draining. Less headaches and less pressure.

The down side is it was quite painful for me. Because they are drilling into the bone it hurts like you have a "broken" bone. It will get better but is a slow process. Bone takes a long time to heal. A couple months later the bones still hurt but it was less intense.

cam

I have had 4 sinus surgies the first 3 went good but the last one was horrific and painful and I hate breathing out of my mouth feels like im suffocating and I feak out for days til they take some packing out I had to stay in hospital for 2 weeks it started bleeding bad u know the puke bucket I had a inch of blood in that they were goin to have to give me blood but they repacked my nose 2 days after surgery I tell u I screamed so loud it was the worst pain I have ever felt but the blood stoped then got a lung infection on top of it this wasnt a surprise it happend 2 other times after sinus surgery the worst for me was not being able to breath out of nose and having to breathe out of mouth and the repacking and getting a lung infection so I can say it sucked bad but after I got all the packing out amd the stints out a week or two after that it was good I could breath better through my nose I had my sputum fixed to reason for the stints but I had to get it done and fast my sinus behind my eye was filled with mucus and stuff and was pushing on my bone and it cracked it cause it was so full if it would have broke the bone the fluid comin out would have done alot of damage even mybe blind me but thank god it didnt he said it was still cracked but if it stays draining the bone will fix itself its been almost a yr since that whole horrible surgery and its doin good but my septum is moving already doc said it will do that and not to worry untill it causes problems hope all goes well and u get and stay healthy

brad.johns

Oh goodness Brad! It sounds painful! My son came back here at the end of January and had a horrible headache and I got an emergency appointment with his ENT and he suggested the surgery you are talking about. My son puts things off until he absolutely has to do them but hopefully he will manage to get it done by this Fall. I prayed for you and I will continue to do that. I've been wondering how it went. What day is your surgery?

Surgery is tomorrow. Please say a prayer for me.

brad.johns

Thanks for the info cheerfulpuppies. I figured it would take a long time to heal. I teach math at the high school and college level so I am giving finals in my college classes today. I have a sub for the other classes the rest of the year. I am assuming that I won't be back at school until August. Started IV antibiotics last week to prep my lungs for this. Fev1 increased 5% since I started last week. Surgery is tomorrow.

Dear Brad - Sorry I was private messaging a friend and did not see your message till I logged off. I WILL pray for you. I have been praying for you along with 4 other people on here every day. You will be fine. Please let me know when you are up to it how it went. Hugs to you Brad!

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
Good luck with your surgery and here's hoping a speedy recovery and a significant improvement in your air conditioning system. It seems that even mild CF cases ravages the sinuses, turbinates and nasal passages.

I am a bit surprised that they're not using local nerve blocks. My first reconstruction was at CU Medical school and I was wide awake as three young doctors in training, practiced medicine. They numbed my nose with cocaine laced cotton rolls placed in the nostrils. Now I remember why they're using general anesthesia, nerve blocks are freaky if not very painful. Imagine an almost cartoon syringe with a fine long needle and a capacity of 50 cc or such. They stab the needle through the walls of the nostrils. Meaning they gingerly pointed the needle at the center of a nostril opening and moved it up the nostril to a particular spot where they anchored the tip, angled the needle and shoved it in an inch or three where they either hit or landed near the nerve to be deadened. They placed three blocks behind each nostril so a total of six plus two do-overs where they overshot the nerve. They sound horrific, your description of the planned surgery is typical. For me, I really was wide awake and chose to have everything done through my nostrils. The alternative was to go through my mouth! Yah, they would have opened by cutting the upper lip from the gum line and lifted up my nose and face. My choice was fine and the reality of having your septum chiseled out and laid on your chest is far less alarming than it sounds.

It isn't too late to run! In the words of Tom Waits, "I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me... over a full frontal lobotomy". To actually answer your question, your surgeon will have the best and most complete answers. I suspect that you're going to be mouth breathing miserable for 24-48 hours. If they pack anything, and you can find out beforehand, you'll have a day or two with packing, hence the mouth breathing. My Nephew had similar surgery about six months ago. He panics if his nose is pinched shut, even at 28. The doctor was sensitive to this fear and somehow packed his nose with a tube through the center so he could breathe.

The mucus membranes will take a week to knit and by two weeks you'll be back to semi-normal. It may take a while for the bone they remove/replace to heal. Like any broken bone, six weeks at a minimum. Actually the bone will feel odd like a ridge around where the bone is removed. Don't worry, your Neanderthal genes aren't surfacing, bones repair by overbuilding, like excess cement. Other sculpting cells will even it back to normal.

Wear sunscreen on your scars, even inside, you won't develop a contrasting scar if you do this for a couple months.

Good luck,

LL

Brad - I know you are probably in pain and not want to talk but I just wanted you to know that I have been praying for you that your surgery went fine yesterday and that you are doing well and did not get an infection. I just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you and praying for you.

brad.johns

Brad - I know you are probably in pain and not want to talk but I just wanted you to know that I have been praying for you that your surgery went fine yesterday and that you are doing well and did not get an infection. I just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you and praying for you.

Well it turns out that the Dr. decided to go through my nose and not my forehead. Been home for about a week. Getting better each day. I go tomorrow to see my ENT for the first time. He will clean everything out tomorrow. Hoping to feel even better after he does this. Thank you for the prayers.