Opinions on Vests

yellow

Hi :)

I want to say .. I am happy my son is getting the vest .. and I wanted to share it with someone that understood as I know if I say this at work or with friends they would be like good for him but would not really get it hehe.

So, my question is what is your opinion on your vest? My son is 2 years old, and the therapist gave me 3 options (RespirTech, SmartVest and Hill-Rom) and said it would not matter which one we choose as they all do the same but it is a personnal preference.

I tried them all and I liked how "RespirTech" did not feel as tough as the other 2. With Hill-Rom I was really feeling my whole body move not only in my chest (don't know if it was that the frequency was only higher?). And the SmartVest I liked that it is only one connection and the shape of the vest.

So which one do you have and how do you like it? I was told they would all be covered by the insurance, but after reading some threads I guess I should start calling and find out about that too :).

Thanks for your time!
Sandra (son of 2yr old w/CF mutations: F508/R1158X)

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
We have the RespirTech vest and like it. Although this is the only kind we have ever tried, so I don't know how it compares. One thing I like about it, it has a "quick start" setting. Basically, it cycles through different frequencies, going up and down throughout the treatment. I think most vests are "programable", but this makes it so easy! I know our doctor prefers this kind a treatment, rather than just leaving it on one frequency for the whole treatment.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Our son has the Smart Vest and I'm happy with it. The service has been good when it breaks (Pulmozyme deteriorates the plastic stuff the inside is made out of and) but since doing Pulmo separate and regular filter changes no issues. I like that the vest is washable and 1 connection sold us. Our son started at 6-9monthish so it is good for very young. It is very programable but i just do it manually b/c everyday his tolerability differs.

amber682

Somehow my DD wound up with the Hillrom vest and DS ended up with the Respirtech. They both have pros and cons. The Vest from Hillrom is much quieter than the respirtech. The Respirtech has better hose connections, with a latch so they don't pop off. They are both easily programmable, but I like the Respirtech's quick start and auto pause features. They are both easy to wash. The Vest from Hillrom comes in 5 colors. I have had wonderful customer service with both companies. Probably not much help huh? :)

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS has The Vest -- model 105 which is programable, so it'll pause & deflate the vest for cough breaks. Vests are now washable. We've traveled with it. Comes with a rolling duffle bag that fits in most airplane overhead compartments. Customer service has been great. Call when tubes and vests need to be replaced. Originally he had a 104 model, but after thousands of hours of use, it wore out -- started getting really loud. So called and a new one arrived the next morning.

Justinsmama

My 8 year old son has The Vest from Hill Rom. It is new as he got it last April. The reason we went with this one is that he gets his infections in his lower lobes of his lungs and the vest is longer and easier to target this area. It has made ahuge difference for us. He had 4 lung infections (pneumonias) in 3 months before having the vest and has only had 2 in the last 8 months!!! We also have had wonderful customer service. Good luck with whatever you choose.

yellow

Thank you all for your posts!!!!! It is so nice to hear your experiences and makes me feel I'm not alone on this :) it looks like they all have good things... I'm going to check their web pages and will let you know what we decide :)

This is the first time I post here but I always read other threads... And I now feel more confident to start new threads that have been in my mind.

Thanks again!
Sandra

nmw0615

I started with the Hill-Rom Vest when I was 5. It was the old, huge machine, but it worked. I got an upgrade several years ago to the smaller, more portable machine and still loved it. This past summer, I switched to the RespirTech and feel it is doing a better job of getting junk out of my lungs. I feel like it's a more powerful shake, but it doesn't feel overwhelming or crushing. If I was given the choice all over again, I'd go with the RespirTech every single time.

yellow

To nmw0615 :)

I started with the Hill-Rom Vest when I was 5. It was the old, huge machine, but it worked. I got an upgrade several years ago to the smaller, more portable machine and still loved it. This past summer, I switched to the RespirTech and feel it is doing a better job of getting junk out of my lungs. I feel like it's a more powerful shake, but it doesn't feel overwhelming or crushing. If I was given the choice all over again, I'd go with the RespirTech every single time.

Thanks ! I think I have made my decision ... My husband and I were going towards the RespirTech but this sold it hehe. I will call our therapist today. Sandra

Badger

if anyone is interested, I have a Hill-Rom complete setup for sale. Used maybe two months. The vest (either one) gives me hemoptisis so I am using a different form of airway clearance. Email me if your interested: IMTHEBADGR@AOL.COM

tysmama

My 2 yr old son has the vest from hilllrom and had worked well. The only issue I have is the tubes pop off easy at the higher settings. Other than that, it is easy to use and pretty quiet. He tolerates it well which was nice since with a 2 yr old could be a challenge. ?

J

juls

We have both the RespirTech and Hill-Rom. With my two CF children, I wish I had 2 RespirTech vests. The Respirtech is much better designed and constructed. The RespirTech clamping latches keep the hoses in place unlike the Hill-Rom's hoses that constantly pop off, especially with small children. I've tried both systems using an adult size vest, and completely agree with the comfort aspects of Respirtech, and agree that the HillRom is very constricting leaving me short of breath. The open venting of the RespirTech vest allows for comfort, and allows the patient to take a deep breath. The deep breath is important with HFCC therapy. With the deep breath, the patient's chest is compressed with a triangular waveform, which is clinically proven to produce 10% more sputum than the sine waveform used by Hill-Rom. My opinion, RespirTech is far superior!
2 kids dF508/dF508

ecsnut

Hi there...remember to listen to them all. I have tried all three devices...and found Respirtechs VERY LOUD.The rep did not want to turn it on for me...just wanted me to try the vest thing on. I had to put on ear muffs to use it. And I felt very "belted in" in both Hill-Rom and Respirtech. I decided on the SmartVest and have had great experience with it. Customer service has been great and I had a good experience with Hill-Rom's also over the years. Good luck

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I would try them all out as well. DS spends a LOT of time playing video games and watching tv, dvds during his vest treatments. So the volume on the television sometimes needs to be cranked up so he can hear.

nmw0615

I agree that the RespirTech vest is pretty loud, but at this point in my life, with my health the way it is, I'd much rather have a couple treatment times a day when I can't hear anything around me, but a really good treatment, than be able to listen to the things around me and not get as good a treatment. I firmly believe the postives of the RespirTech far outnumber the negatives, and there are ways to work around the negatives.

Beccamom

My daughter and I both chose Hill Rom the Vest. Respirtec made us sick to our stomachs. I think with advanced lung disease it would be worth it for Respirtech, but fortunately neither of us are there. The smart vest weighed way too much for traveling which we do often and so it was ruled out. This led us to The Vest by Hill Rom. The Vest 105 is easy to program for automatic coughs and frequency and presuure changes. Costumer service is excellent.

yellow

I just wanted to follow up on my original thread ... we went with the inCourage from Respir-Tech and so far we like it :) My son has used it 3 nights so far and has fallen asleep with it the last two hehe.. I think I got a sleeping machine :p

We had to pay 20% of the co-pay ... but well... we will use the health savings account for that which will help :).

I really like it and I can see him coughing when doing the treatment so I think it is helping !

Thanks again for your advise.
Sandra

yellow

It is noisy but it was already noisy with the nebulizer so not much difference adding the inCourage ;) .. and you girls are right .. I like the hoses dont pop out ... it came already programmed by the therapist that brought it to our house and I just click a button and wait for it to finish it. The therapist told me we won't have to pause it for him to cough right now as he is still small ? ... and because he only uses hypertonic solution I guess they already programmed one 30 minute session with the frequency needed? My son doesnt seem to complain (yet :p ) and I am glad I dont have to rely on the manual CPT anymore ;)

JennyCoulon

My boys both have the Hill Rom #105 and we love it. It seems to do good and it seems easier compared to some of the other ones I have seen at our annual CF meeting. It comes with a nice big, tough bag with each thing having it's own spot and even room for a compressor. Good luck finding the right one