Osteoporosis

PedsNP2007

Hi,

I am asking those who have problems with osteopenia and osteoporosis. Within the last year, I had a repeat bone scan that showed both osteopenia and osteoporosis, worse than the previous bone scan of 3 years prior.

I haven't been the most compliant with vitamins so I know I haven't helped the situation.

My vitamin D level is very low (I got a comprehensive vitamin D panel that all were abnormally low).

I exercise at least 4 days a week so I am doing the weight bearing exercise portion of helping my bones. I get sore joints and "bone" pain at times.

However, I was placed on calcium supplementation and calciferol supplementation. I find it very difficult to remember those types of meds on a daily basis. I try and put out the containers so I remember.

My question: has anyone done IV supplementation? If so, what has your CF (or endocrine) physician recommended? Any pros/cons? Would you rather have done oral supplementation?

Any info is helpful! I would love to try and improve my bone health as I'm still young.

Jenn
30 y/o cf, new onset cfrd, 'brittle bones'

PedsNP2007

Hi,

I am asking those who have problems with osteopenia and osteoporosis. Within the last year, I had a repeat bone scan that showed both osteopenia and osteoporosis, worse than the previous bone scan of 3 years prior.

I haven't been the most compliant with vitamins so I know I haven't helped the situation.

My vitamin D level is very low (I got a comprehensive vitamin D panel that all were abnormally low).

I exercise at least 4 days a week so I am doing the weight bearing exercise portion of helping my bones. I get sore joints and "bone" pain at times.

However, I was placed on calcium supplementation and calciferol supplementation. I find it very difficult to remember those types of meds on a daily basis. I try and put out the containers so I remember.

My question: has anyone done IV supplementation? If so, what has your CF (or endocrine) physician recommended? Any pros/cons? Would you rather have done oral supplementation?

Any info is helpful! I would love to try and improve my bone health as I'm still young.

Jenn

PedsNP2007

Hi,

Jenn

PedsNP2007

Hi,

Jenn

PedsNP2007

Hi,
<br />
<br />I am asking those who have problems with osteopenia and osteoporosis. Within the last year, I had a repeat bone scan that showed both osteopenia and osteoporosis, worse than the previous bone scan of 3 years prior.
<br />
<br />I haven't been the most compliant with vitamins so I know I haven't helped the situation.
<br />
<br />My vitamin D level is very low (I got a comprehensive vitamin D panel that all were abnormally low).
<br />
<br />I exercise at least 4 days a week so I am doing the weight bearing exercise portion of helping my bones. I get sore joints and "bone" pain at times.
<br />
<br />However, I was placed on calcium supplementation and calciferol supplementation. I find it very difficult to remember those types of meds on a daily basis. I try and put out the containers so I remember.
<br />
<br />My question: has anyone done IV supplementation? If so, what has your CF (or endocrine) physician recommended? Any pros/cons? Would you rather have done oral supplementation?
<br />
<br />Any info is helpful! I would love to try and improve my bone health as I'm still young.
<br />
<br />Jenn
<br />30 y/o cf, new onset cfrd, 'brittle bones'

colly

jenn! you're 30. you should be good at taking daily meds by now!

the thing that sucks about calcium is that its not supposed to be taken with zinc or magnesium (ie not at the same time as your daily multivitamin) or it won't absorb right. i usually just take mine with dinner instead of breakfast.

i've never done or even considered iv supplements. i try to stay out of the hospital at all costs & my doctors try to keep me out too. my philosophy: taking a few pills everyday is a lot less inconvenient than going into the hospital for periodic treatments! (same goes for inhaled treatments & physical therapy.. though i find those a lot harder to "remember" everyday..)

anyway, my advice is to run to the pharmacy & buy one of those weekly pill organizers. leave it out somewhere that you'll see it everyday. (my nutritionist recommended that i leave mine in the center console of my car.. which i don't.. but still its an idea..) i like mine because it lets me know if i've taken my pills yet or not!

also, i take glucosamine supplements for my joint pain. it seems to help my knees, shoulders, & wrists.. but it doesn't seem to help my back (which is where i have osteopenia) as much. its worth a try though.

colly

the thing that sucks about calcium is that its not supposed to be taken with zinc or magnesium (ie not at the same time as your daily multivitamin) or it won't absorb right. i usually just take mine with dinner instead of breakfast.

i've never done or even considered iv supplements. i try to stay out of the hospital at all costs & my doctors try to keep me out too. my philosophy: taking a few pills everyday is a lot less inconvenient than going into the hospital for periodic treatments! (same goes for inhaled treatments & physical therapy.. though i find those a lot harder to "remember" everyday..)

anyway, my advice is to run to the pharmacy & buy one of those weekly pill organizers. leave it out somewhere that you'll see it everyday. (my nutritionist recommended that i leave mine in the center console of my car.. which i don't.. but still its an idea..) i like mine because it lets me know if i've taken my pills yet or not!

also, i take glucosamine supplements for my joint pain. it seems to help my knees, shoulders, & wrists.. but it doesn't seem to help my back (which is where i have osteopenia) as much. its worth a try though.

colly

colly

colly

<br />
<br />the thing that sucks about calcium is that its not supposed to be taken with zinc or magnesium (ie not at the same time as your daily multivitamin) or it won't absorb right. i usually just take mine with dinner instead of breakfast.
<br />
<br />i've never done or even considered iv supplements. i try to stay out of the hospital at all costs & my doctors try to keep me out too. my philosophy: taking a few pills everyday is a lot less inconvenient than going into the hospital for periodic treatments! (same goes for inhaled treatments & physical therapy.. though i find those a lot harder to "remember" everyday..)
<br />
<br />anyway, my advice is to run to the pharmacy & buy one of those weekly pill organizers. leave it out somewhere that you'll see it everyday. (my nutritionist recommended that i leave mine in the center console of my car.. which i don't.. but still its an idea..) i like mine because it lets me know if i've taken my pills yet or not!
<br />
<br />also, i take glucosamine supplements for my joint pain. it seems to help my knees, shoulders, & wrists.. but it doesn't seem to help my back (which is where i have osteopenia) as much. its worth a try though.

Kristen

I can't answer your question but wanted to say that I too almost always forget to take my calcium supplement. :::takes viactive out of desk drawer:::

Kristen

I can't answer your question but wanted to say that I too almost always forget to take my calcium supplement. :::takes viactive out of desk drawer:::

Kristen

Kristen

Kristen