Osteoporosis

randford

I'm really confused about something. I hope someone can help.
<br><br>
It was discovered that I have a severe case of osteoporosis, specifically in the lower spine and hips. I don't have any posture of fracture issues...yet. But here is my delima. I was told by my CF endocrinologist that I should take Fosamax in addtion to 50,000 units/week of Vitamin D. But I've read and heard that Fosamax is a bisphosphonate should not be taken by CF patients.
<br><br>
The problem that developes is osteomalacia or "soft bones". When the newly formed bone of the growth plate does not mineralize, the growth plate becomes thick, wide and irregular. When the remodeled bone does not mineralize, osteomalacia occurs, and this happens in all ages.
<br><br>
Then there is the connection of Fosamax and osteonecrosis. Fosamax causes a rare disease called osteonecrosis of the jaw. Five years ago, oral surgeons and dentists began noticing a connection between jaw decay and taking the drug Fosamax.
<br><br>
Should I take Fosamax? Is there an Alternative?
<br><br>
<b>Randford, 44 CF/Osteo</b>

randford

<br><br>
It was discovered that I have a severe case of osteoporosis, specifically in the lower spine and hips. I don't have any posture of fracture issues...yet. But here is my delima. I was told by my CF endocrinologist that I should take Fosamax in addtion to 50,000 units/week of Vitamin D. But I've read and heard that Fosamax is a bisphosphonate should not be taken by CF patients.
<br><br>
The problem that developes is osteomalacia or "soft bones". When the newly formed bone of the growth plate does not mineralize, the growth plate becomes thick, wide and irregular. When the remodeled bone does not mineralize, osteomalacia occurs, and this happens in all ages.
<br><br>
Then there is the connection of Fosamax and osteonecrosis. Fosamax causes a rare disease called osteonecrosis of the jaw. Five years ago, oral surgeons and dentists began noticing a connection between jaw decay and taking the drug Fosamax.
<br><br>
<br><br>

randford

<br><br>
<br><br>
<br><br>
<br><br>
<br><br>

NoExcuses

#1. <b> All drugs have side effects </b> Even supplements have side effects. Did you know that drinking too much water can kill you?

Osteonecrosis is a side effect of all bisphoshponates. It's rare, but it's a side effect. You must weigh side effects versus what can happen to you if you brake a hip, etc.

#2. An alternative to Foxamax is Actonel. It's a bisphosphonate as well. They differ in 3 aspects: Quality of bone built, 1/2 life, and side effect profile

<b> Quality of bone built </b> The FACT trial demonstrated that over a year, Fosamax build more bone than Actonel. But Fosamax patients had more fractures than Actonel patients. Why? Actonel builds better quality bone than Fosamax. Imagine you're building a ladder. It's not simply good enough that you build a ladder faster than someone else. What if you build the ladder quickly but it's made of foam? But someone else built a ladder with steel? Steel would hold up better. Actonel's quality of bone built is better which leads to less fractures in a study sponsored by the makers of Fosamax, Merck.

<b> 1/2 life </b> Fosamax's 1/2 life is 10 years. Actonel's 1/2 life is 20 days. If you're worried about side effects, I'd chose the drug that stayed in my body less often. Despite the difference in 1/2 life, dosing is just as frequent.

<b> side effects </b> Actonel has a much better GI tolerability profile than Fosamax

Good luck with your osteoporosis. It can be helped as long as you get on top of it. But this is why the CFF recommends annual bone density tests!!!

NoExcuses

#1. <b> All drugs have side effects </b> Even supplements have side effects. Did you know that drinking too much water can kill you?

Osteonecrosis is a side effect of all bisphoshponates. It's rare, but it's a side effect. You must weigh side effects versus what can happen to you if you brake a hip, etc.

#2. An alternative to Foxamax is Actonel. It's a bisphosphonate as well. They differ in 3 aspects: Quality of bone built, 1/2 life, and side effect profile

<b> Quality of bone built </b> The FACT trial demonstrated that over a year, Fosamax build more bone than Actonel. But Fosamax patients had more fractures than Actonel patients. Why? Actonel builds better quality bone than Fosamax. Imagine you're building a ladder. It's not simply good enough that you build a ladder faster than someone else. What if you build the ladder quickly but it's made of foam? But someone else built a ladder with steel? Steel would hold up better. Actonel's quality of bone built is better which leads to less fractures in a study sponsored by the makers of Fosamax, Merck.

<b> 1/2 life </b> Fosamax's 1/2 life is 10 years. Actonel's 1/2 life is 20 days. If you're worried about side effects, I'd chose the drug that stayed in my body less often. Despite the difference in 1/2 life, dosing is just as frequent.

<b> side effects </b> Actonel has a much better GI tolerability profile than Fosamax

Good luck with your osteoporosis. It can be helped as long as you get on top of it. But this is why the CFF recommends annual bone density tests!!!

NoExcuses

NoExcuses

Something else that just occured to me...

If you have severe osteoperosis, you might want to try Forteo. It's an injectable and is catagorized as more aggressive therapy for severe patients than a bisphosphonate.

I would do some research on that if I were you as well...

NoExcuses

If you have severe osteoperosis, you might want to try Forteo. It's an injectable and is catagorized as more aggressive therapy for severe patients than a bisphosphonate.

NoExcuses

blindhearted

There is an alternative to Fosamax...such as Actonel and Boniva. I personally had trouble with Actonel and Boniva, really extreme and weird side effects. I am taking Forteo for my osteoporosis. Forteo in an injection (like amy said). It is done daily for 2 years. Forteo rebuilds the bone that has been lost. It has done wonders for me. My osteoporosis has almost been reversed after 14 months, but I still have 10 months to go before completing the treatment. You must be dedicated to it. No missing a dose! It is aggressive therapy and they usually look to it as a last resort. After you use Forteo, your treatment does not stop. They do recommend taking something like Fosamax, Actonel or Boniva to keep the bones from weaking again. And due to my reaction to two out of those three, I have been offered to be given medication by IV every three months, but at this moment, I do not know what type or name of that medication. Also, I am not sure if Forteo can be used again after doing the original 2 yrs if the osteoporosis returns. So Forteo is also something to think about. Forteo is a big commitment. Get educated on all of those medicines and talk to your doctor to see what choice is right for your treatment needs.

blindhearted

There is an alternative to Fosamax...such as Actonel and Boniva. I personally had trouble with Actonel and Boniva, really extreme and weird side effects. I am taking Forteo for my osteoporosis. Forteo in an injection (like amy said). It is done daily for 2 years. Forteo rebuilds the bone that has been lost. It has done wonders for me. My osteoporosis has almost been reversed after 14 months, but I still have 10 months to go before completing the treatment. You must be dedicated to it. No missing a dose! It is aggressive therapy and they usually look to it as a last resort. After you use Forteo, your treatment does not stop. They do recommend taking something like Fosamax, Actonel or Boniva to keep the bones from weaking again. And due to my reaction to two out of those three, I have been offered to be given medication by IV every three months, but at this moment, I do not know what type or name of that medication. Also, I am not sure if Forteo can be used again after doing the original 2 yrs if the osteoporosis returns. So Forteo is also something to think about. Forteo is a big commitment. Get educated on all of those medicines and talk to your doctor to see what choice is right for your treatment needs.

blindhearted