Our brilliant doctor is leaving our cf clinic...how do I find a new one?

Olsonmom3

I've tried to find other doctors in the Cystic Fibrosis Community that are leaders in the pulmonology field, who think outside of the box and have a cutting edge approach to dealing with problems that arise. I have been unsuccessful. Every time I try to find something about a specific clinic or doctor, I'm redirected to the cf foundation. Desperate for information.

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Perhaps if you let others know your general location they might be able to provide recommendations - either by post or private message...

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
We actually asked our first CF doctor who she recommended for us when she told us she was moving to another center (out of state). And when she recommended one doctor, I asked her why she didn't recommend another one on staff. She hadn't remembered, but about a year earlier, I had casually asked her which other CF doctor on staff she would recommend, thinking it would be good to know if she were to leave. She recommended a different one later based on knowing our personalities and explained that too me. We loved our first CF doctor and frankly no one could replace her...she "got" me in a way the other staff didn't! (She also felt horrible breaking the news to us because my husband had asked her point blank when we were new at the clinic if she would be there long term because her husband worked at the same company as my husband and he knew how frequently they rotated and she said they were here to stay.)

Anyway, maybe you can try to speak with the doctor to get his recommendation??

K

kgfrompa

I am very sorry you are having to let go of a Doctor who you love and depend on! I have had this happen to me and I try and think of people are come and go and we all have gifts to give one another,I ty and stay positive on my journey I sure hate letting go of what works for me I do think having a open mind helps the next Doctor to follow .

mom24dodd

I think the thing about all CF centers is they follow - or should follow - a standard protocol for care - and all should be on the aggressive side to treat testable infections. The only difference is if you actually get a doctor you like and get along with and respect that they are doing the right thing for you or your child - that is what can be hard to replace. Our center had many doctors - we were forced to switch - but we ended up at an Affiliate Center because we liked the doctor better - we tried out two in our area before deciding on one of the two. I say shop around - if you can.

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
Perhaps if you let others know your general location they might be able to provide recommendations - either by post or private message...

Yes, please let us know where you are. You may get some responses if you do.

Sorry to hear this! Out of my 21 years at Children's I had two great Dr.'s leave while I was there. Not everyone is Facebook Friendly but if you are you can search CF groups on FB and ask others if they have experience with Dr.'s in your area. You may find a few. You can PM me your location if you do not wish to post it, I can ask for you over at Facebook.

I agree with Aboveallislove as well. Have you tried asking for a referral? It's something I've always done when my Dr.'s leave.