our results with the anti inflammatory diet

lilismom

I started my daughter Lili on an anti inflammatory diet the second week of May. A little history first... Before diagnosis with CF last year we found out she may have a wheat allergy so tried a glutten free diet and much of her malabsorption issues went away. After a month of that her digestion was still not quite right so that's when her Ped brought up the possibility of CF. While in the hospital after diagnosis the Drs and nutritionist said the enzymes would take care of the wheat problem so we stopped the diet. For awhile I didn't think about it, the diagnosis and new treatments and medicine was a too overwelming but then I started questioning it. The post on the anti inflammation diet came up at about this time so I decided to try it.
She has gained over 2 lbs since cutting out wheat, white sugar and most dairy! Her weight had been hovering around 40 for several months and now she seems to be steadily gaining. I was looking at her play in her bathing suit yesterday and smiled because there is just nothing small about her anymore.

Another thing I've noticed is her poop looks completely normal most days. I cut back her ultrase from 3 to 2 with meals last week and she's still digesting well.

Her cough which she's had almost constantly since winter 05 is almost gone and she is so dry. She has a bit to get out in the morning but other than that nothing. I don't know if I can give full credit to the diet on this one, we started Flonase about the same time because a sinus CT showed that her sinuses were full of junk.

The hardest part for us on the diet has been cutting out sugar, I haven't given her much processed sugar but use of honey and maple syrup has definitely increased. I decided I wanted to make the transition as easy as possible for my family. When we are playing with friends who are snacking on cookies I don't want her to feel different so I always bring along a healthy substitute, so far it's working - we'll see how hard it is to follow in the coming years when she is in school for lunch and I don't have as much control.

Thank you to Drammamomma and Foody to giving me the motivation to try this.
Happy 4th!

lilismom

I started my daughter Lili on an anti inflammatory diet the second week of May. A little history first... Before diagnosis with CF last year we found out she may have a wheat allergy so tried a glutten free diet and much of her malabsorption issues went away. After a month of that her digestion was still not quite right so that's when her Ped brought up the possibility of CF. While in the hospital after diagnosis the Drs and nutritionist said the enzymes would take care of the wheat problem so we stopped the diet. For awhile I didn't think about it, the diagnosis and new treatments and medicine was a too overwelming but then I started questioning it. The post on the anti inflammation diet came up at about this time so I decided to try it.
She has gained over 2 lbs since cutting out wheat, white sugar and most dairy! Her weight had been hovering around 40 for several months and now she seems to be steadily gaining. I was looking at her play in her bathing suit yesterday and smiled because there is just nothing small about her anymore.

Another thing I've noticed is her poop looks completely normal most days. I cut back her ultrase from 3 to 2 with meals last week and she's still digesting well.

Her cough which she's had almost constantly since winter 05 is almost gone and she is so dry. She has a bit to get out in the morning but other than that nothing. I don't know if I can give full credit to the diet on this one, we started Flonase about the same time because a sinus CT showed that her sinuses were full of junk.

The hardest part for us on the diet has been cutting out sugar, I haven't given her much processed sugar but use of honey and maple syrup has definitely increased. I decided I wanted to make the transition as easy as possible for my family. When we are playing with friends who are snacking on cookies I don't want her to feel different so I always bring along a healthy substitute, so far it's working - we'll see how hard it is to follow in the coming years when she is in school for lunch and I don't have as much control.

Happy 4th!

lilismom

Happy 4th!

lilismom

Happy 4th!

lilismom

Happy 4th!

lilismom

Happy 4th!

JazzysMom

Good for you! Many people who have changed the "traditional CF way of eating" have felt a tremendous difference. I am glad you have been able to transition her easily. Keep up the good work!

JazzysMom

Good for you! Many people who have changed the "traditional CF way of eating" have felt a tremendous difference. I am glad you have been able to transition her easily. Keep up the good work!

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

PeterC

Sarah:

Congratulations and keep up the good work!!

If you can keep it up and little by little educate your daughter about the benefits of staying away from processed and heavily sugared foods as well as wheat products in her case and instill in her the many long term benefits of eating whole foods, fresh fruits and vegetables, her life will surely be free of many of the health problems that most children face today.

There is no one to blame for the state of our food supply except the consumer. If we make better choices and demand change the food industry will follow. You can see the evidence of this change in food stores across the country and the increase in the number of farmers markets in communities of all sizes.

Your commitment to feeding her the best foods and her continued education about the best and worst eating habits will have a major impact on the quality of her life.

The world we live in is not set up for you to succeed but with determination and support you will succeed and you will be rewarded with a happy healthy child!

Sincerely:

PeterC 58/cf

PeterC

Sarah:

Congratulations and keep up the good work!!

If you can keep it up and little by little educate your daughter about the benefits of staying away from processed and heavily sugared foods as well as wheat products in her case and instill in her the many long term benefits of eating whole foods, fresh fruits and vegetables, her life will surely be free of many of the health problems that most children face today.

There is no one to blame for the state of our food supply except the consumer. If we make better choices and demand change the food industry will follow. You can see the evidence of this change in food stores across the country and the increase in the number of farmers markets in communities of all sizes.

Your commitment to feeding her the best foods and her continued education about the best and worst eating habits will have a major impact on the quality of her life.

The world we live in is not set up for you to succeed but with determination and support you will succeed and you will be rewarded with a happy healthy child!

Sincerely:

PeterC 58/cf