Overnight Feeds?

M

Mommafirst

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Tcole</b></i>

Do you add enzymes to her feeds or do you wake her to give more enzymes? Our dr wants us to get sleep and they don't want to wake her either.</end quote></div>

I give it through the tube. I mix pancreacarb with applesauce, put it in a 60ml syringe and stop the pump, disconnect, and run it through the extension, all while she sleeps. We go to sleep right afterwards.

When I get her ready for bed, I tape the extension down her leg, so that I can get to it right about her knee and I don't have to wake her to start her feeding or add meds.

I've never used the viokase, but if it can be mixed directly into the formula so that she gets some all night -- I'd definitely ask about that!!!

M

Mommafirst

Do you add enzymes to her feeds or do you wake her to give more enzymes? Our dr wants us to get sleep and they don't want to wake her either.</end quote></div>

I give it through the tube. I mix pancreacarb with applesauce, put it in a 60ml syringe and stop the pump, disconnect, and run it through the extension, all while she sleeps. We go to sleep right afterwards.

When I get her ready for bed, I tape the extension down her leg, so that I can get to it right about her knee and I don't have to wake her to start her feeding or add meds.

I've never used the viokase, but if it can be mixed directly into the formula so that she gets some all night -- I'd definitely ask about that!!!

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

Do you add enzymes to her feeds or do you wake her to give more enzymes? Our dr wants us to get sleep and they don't want to wake her either.</end quote>

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />Do you add enzymes to her feeds or do you wake her to give more enzymes? Our dr wants us to get sleep and they don't want to wake her either.</end quote>
<br />
<br />I give it through the tube. I mix pancreacarb with applesauce, put it in a 60ml syringe and stop the pump, disconnect, and run it through the extension, all while she sleeps. We go to sleep right afterwards.
<br />
<br />When I get her ready for bed, I tape the extension down her leg, so that I can get to it right about her knee and I don't have to wake her to start her feeding or add meds.
<br />
<br />I've never used the viokase, but if it can be mixed directly into the formula so that she gets some all night -- I'd definitely ask about that!!!
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

crickit715

to heather...
yes, viokase mixes directly with the formula....and we both sleep all night. at first i was getting up and changing the bags every 4 hours, but the dr's at the clinic said that wasnt a necessity...so since april we have been mixing the viokase in with the formula and thats it!! i would definatley ask about it...makes things alot easier!!

crickit715

to heather...
yes, viokase mixes directly with the formula....and we both sleep all night. at first i was getting up and changing the bags every 4 hours, but the dr's at the clinic said that wasnt a necessity...so since april we have been mixing the viokase in with the formula and thats it!! i would definatley ask about it...makes things alot easier!!

crickit715

to heather...

crickit715

to heather...

crickit715

to heather...
<br /> yes, viokase mixes directly with the formula....and we both sleep all night. at first i was getting up and changing the bags every 4 hours, but the dr's at the clinic said that wasnt a necessity...so since april we have been mixing the viokase in with the formula and thats it!! i would definatley ask about it...makes things alot easier!!

JennyCoulon

Our oldest who is 9 has the g-button. His runs for about 10 hours starting at 9pm and goes until 7am. His is set to 130 ml per hour so he gets about 2500 calories per night thru his button. I think that you really have to work up the tolerence as to the amount per time. We give enzymes before he goes to bed and then once it beeps to shut off in the morning. Hope this helps...

JennyCoulon

Our oldest who is 9 has the g-button. His runs for about 10 hours starting at 9pm and goes until 7am. His is set to 130 ml per hour so he gets about 2500 calories per night thru his button. I think that you really have to work up the tolerence as to the amount per time. We give enzymes before he goes to bed and then once it beeps to shut off in the morning. Hope this helps...

JennyCoulon

JennyCoulon

JennyCoulon

babyluke

Our son is 20 months old and he has had his g-tube for a little over a year. We do 62 ml. over about 7 hrs. Our goal is for it to shut off around 5 am so that he is ready for breakfast at about 8. That generally works for us. We use viokase too and they had us start getting up in the night and adding more in when Luke was having the big blow outs. We put it into the bag and didn't have to bother him at all. Luckily my husband is really good at the middle of the night stuff, because I don't function before about 7 am--not without a lot of coffee.It honestly got better for us when we switced to pediasure at night as opposed to formula--as far as his stools. We have also done the bolus thing when we have been traveling and didn't want to fool with the pump. I think he has his tube for a little while before we started bolus feeds and you want to start slow--only a couple ounces by gravity. Otherwise, Luke would gag terribly (he couldn't throw up b/c he also had a nissan--but he sure tried lol). I know your frustration about he day time eating. I felt like Luke was becoming dependent on the tube as it seemed like he would not eat during the day. That did get better with time. And we have played with his rate and amount a lot, too. So don't be afraid to bring that up. I talked to the nutritionist about my concerns and so we increased his rate and decreased the amount so he would finish earlier and that helped him to eat more through the day. He still does his best eating toward afternoon and evening, though.

babyluke

Our son is 20 months old and he has had his g-tube for a little over a year. We do 62 ml. over about 7 hrs. Our goal is for it to shut off around 5 am so that he is ready for breakfast at about 8. That generally works for us. We use viokase too and they had us start getting up in the night and adding more in when Luke was having the big blow outs. We put it into the bag and didn't have to bother him at all. Luckily my husband is really good at the middle of the night stuff, because I don't function before about 7 am--not without a lot of coffee.It honestly got better for us when we switced to pediasure at night as opposed to formula--as far as his stools. We have also done the bolus thing when we have been traveling and didn't want to fool with the pump. I think he has his tube for a little while before we started bolus feeds and you want to start slow--only a couple ounces by gravity. Otherwise, Luke would gag terribly (he couldn't throw up b/c he also had a nissan--but he sure tried lol). I know your frustration about he day time eating. I felt like Luke was becoming dependent on the tube as it seemed like he would not eat during the day. That did get better with time. And we have played with his rate and amount a lot, too. So don't be afraid to bring that up. I talked to the nutritionist about my concerns and so we increased his rate and decreased the amount so he would finish earlier and that helped him to eat more through the day. He still does his best eating toward afternoon and evening, though.

babyluke

babyluke

babyluke