Owning a business?

sue35

I know there have been a lot of marriage talk on the boards but my wedding is in two months so I really need to get this sorted out. My fiance has wonderful insurance that I will go on once we are married. But he has hopes of eventually starting his own company or going into business with someone else (managing a hedgefund). If he does that I would assume he will get individual insurance. Would I be able to get on that?<br><br>I am not working now. I am afraid that the only way for him to be able to follow his dreams is for me to get disability and when the 24 months are up, go onto Medicare. Could I even do this if we are legally married?<br>

sue35

I know there have been a lot of marriage talk on the boards but my wedding is in two months so I really need to get this sorted out. My fiance has wonderful insurance that I will go on once we are married. But he has hopes of eventually starting his own company or going into business with someone else (managing a hedgefund). If he does that I would assume he will get individual insurance. Would I be able to get on that?<br><br>I am not working now. I am afraid that the only way for him to be able to follow his dreams is for me to get disability and when the 24 months are up, go onto Medicare. Could I even do this if we are legally married?<br>

sue35

Giggles

Hate to be a downer. But that is one thing that I am sad about with my husband. He has never been able to pursue a job that does not have GREAT benefits. So no you can not get on an individual plan. However, sometimes states have plans for uninsurable people, for example IL calls it the chip plan. So you can look into that. Also, medicare does not cover everything and what it does cover is not as good as what a group plan from an employer would cover. Maybe someone can chime in who has Medicare as their sole insurance and how that coverage works. Medicare only covers 80%, 100% inpatient hospital. And then Medicare D plan which is the RX plan has gaps, so you have to deal with that. Now sometimes a person ie. your husband to be ,starts a self employed job with someone else they CAN get group insurance with just 2 people but the rates i am sure are super high especially if you want a good plan. But he can look into that.<br><br>My opinion is insurance is a necessary evil and a CF patient needs good insurance. Sorry to squash your future husbands entrepreneurial plans. It is super hard in my opinion to not he on a group plan and preferably a large employer group plan with CF. It is so costly the drugs etc. <br><br>Good Luck and congrats<br>

Giggles

Hate to be a downer. But that is one thing that I am sad about with my husband. He has never been able to pursue a job that does not have GREAT benefits. So no you can not get on an individual plan. However, sometimes states have plans for uninsurable people, for example IL calls it the chip plan. So you can look into that. Also, medicare does not cover everything and what it does cover is not as good as what a group plan from an employer would cover. Maybe someone can chime in who has Medicare as their sole insurance and how that coverage works. Medicare only covers 80%, 100% inpatient hospital. And then Medicare D plan which is the RX plan has gaps, so you have to deal with that. Now sometimes a person ie. your husband to be ,starts a self employed job with someone else they CAN get group insurance with just 2 people but the rates i am sure are super high especially if you want a good plan. But he can look into that.<br><br>My opinion is insurance is a necessary evil and a CF patient needs good insurance. Sorry to squash your future husbands entrepreneurial plans. It is super hard in my opinion to not he on a group plan and preferably a large employer group plan with CF. It is so costly the drugs etc. <br><br>Good Luck and congrats<br>

Giggles

sue35

So either he has no chance of going into business of his own or I get Medicare and pay out of pocket for the rest?

Can we still get legally married and I have medicare or does income play into that. Basically I don't want to get legally married and have my Medicare option disappear. Then he absolutely has no choice but to always have great benefits.

sue35

So either he has no chance of going into business of his own or I get Medicare and pay out of pocket for the rest?

Can we still get legally married and I have medicare or does income play into that. Basically I don't want to get legally married and have my Medicare option disappear. Then he absolutely has no choice but to always have great benefits.

sue35

<br />
<br />Can we still get legally married and I have medicare or does income play into that. Basically I don't want to get legally married and have my Medicare option disappear. Then he absolutely has no choice but to always have great benefits.

Giggles

Sue I would contact Beth Sufian who is an attorney who has CF and handles CF disability cases. She will give you precise information. I do not have her number on me but if you google her you should find her contact info. She is out of texas and works with people all over. If you can not find her, PM me and I will get her number for you.<br><br>My understanding Medicare is health insurance and once you are on it you are on it regardless of marriage or income. Now, SSDI and SSI is different and is based on your income and SSI being based on family income.<br><br>I would just talk to Beth about it so you have all the correct facts. But Medicare is not the best coverage out there but again it is coverage and does pick up stuff. Again, someone on here that has Medicare as their sole and only insurance could answer alot of questions. But Beth is a great source and she has a medicare hotline to ask questions ( if she is still doing that?)<br><br>Sorry!<br>

Giggles

Sue I would contact Beth Sufian who is an attorney who has CF and handles CF disability cases. She will give you precise information. I do not have her number on me but if you google her you should find her contact info. She is out of texas and works with people all over. If you can not find her, PM me and I will get her number for you.<br><br>My understanding Medicare is health insurance and once you are on it you are on it regardless of marriage or income. Now, SSDI and SSI is different and is based on your income and SSI being based on family income.<br><br>I would just talk to Beth about it so you have all the correct facts. But Medicare is not the best coverage out there but again it is coverage and does pick up stuff. Again, someone on here that has Medicare as their sole and only insurance could answer alot of questions. But Beth is a great source and she has a medicare hotline to ask questions ( if she is still doing that?)<br><br>Sorry!<br>

Giggles

sue35

I guess I will have to talk to her. I just wish that there was some easy way to get legally married and still have him be able to go into business for himself. It seems like a lot to ask for him to give up.

sue35

I guess I will have to talk to her. I just wish that there was some easy way to get legally married and still have him be able to go into business for himself. It seems like a lot to ask for him to give up.

sue35

julie

The qualifications for SSDI are based on 3 things, your medical condition (meeting their medical criteria), your age at the time you are claiming your disability began, and your work history (do you have enought credits based on your age). SSDI does NOT take into consideration ANY income in the household other than YOURS.

SSI is based on 2 things, your medical condition (meeting their medical criteria, same as SSDI), and having a HOUSEHOLD income under a very low limit (we are talking lik $2,000 for a family of 3).

If you are on SSDI for 24 months, you can get medicare.

As far as him pursuing his own business, if he is going to be self insured, then the HIPPA laws about portability, pre-existing conditions and all that lovely stuff don't apply.
Hope that helps answer your questions. If you have more, feel free to email me, <A HREF="mailto:services@dafcf.org">services@dafcf.org</A>

julie

The qualifications for SSDI are based on 3 things, your medical condition (meeting their medical criteria), your age at the time you are claiming your disability began, and your work history (do you have enought credits based on your age). SSDI does NOT take into consideration ANY income in the household other than YOURS.

SSI is based on 2 things, your medical condition (meeting their medical criteria, same as SSDI), and having a HOUSEHOLD income under a very low limit (we are talking lik $2,000 for a family of 3).

If you are on SSDI for 24 months, you can get medicare.

As far as him pursuing his own business, if he is going to be self insured, then the HIPPA laws about portability, pre-existing conditions and all that lovely stuff don't apply.
Hope that helps answer your questions. If you have more, feel free to email me, <A HREF="mailto:services@dafcf.org">services@dafcf.org</A>

julie

<br />
<br />SSI is based on 2 things, your medical condition (meeting their medical criteria, same as SSDI), and having a HOUSEHOLD income under a very low limit (we are talking lik $2,000 for a family of 3).
<br />
<br />If you are on SSDI for 24 months, you can get medicare.
<br />
<br />As far as him pursuing his own business, if he is going to be self insured, then the HIPPA laws about portability, pre-existing conditions and all that lovely stuff don't apply.
<br />Hope that helps answer your questions. If you have more, feel free to email me, <A HREF="mailto:services@dafcf.org">services@dafcf.org</A>

MamaBear

<br>My husband and I are going through this right now actually.  We are planning on starting our own business by September this year, and currently are recieving health insurance through his work.  We are going to be covered as a family (we have 3 kids) under our state's plan.  And we are able to qualify for that without a waiting period because we will be having a status change (loss of job). We will be paying our own premium, which is based on household income.  I don't know what state you live in, or what kind of coverage your state offers, just thought I'd let you know that might be an option for you.  We are in Vermont.

MamaBear

<br>My husband and I are going through this right now actually. We are planning on starting our own business by September this year, and currently are recieving health insurance through his work. We are going to be covered as a family (we have 3 kids) under our state's plan. And we are able to qualify for that without a waiting period because we will be having a status change (loss of job).We will be paying our own premium, which is based on householdincome. I don't know what state you live in, or what kind of coverage your state offers, just thought I'd let you know that might be an option for you. We are in Vermont.