Oxygen at Night

P

PeteRose

Hi Everyone,
It has been suggested to me that I start oxygen at night because my sats were on the low side. (lower 90's and upper 80's with walking). I am very nervous about it because I have never had to do this before. Anyone that is on oxygen at night, do your sat's ever go up again? Is this the beginning of a decline? What should I expect? I know that I should consider myself very lucky that I have not had to experience this yet at age 50, but that does not make it less scary to me.
Any information would be helpful.
Thank You - Rosie

dbtoo

hey rosie, i started O2 last year. It's prescribed for 24/7, but I only use it at night. I would get some weazing when I would lay down, and the farce of a sleep study... well... let's just say that IMHO that's designed to sell products, not provide solutions. I don't use the O2 every night, but most nights I do. The hardest thing was finding a comfortable positioning of the nasal things. A lot of nights, it falls off when I roll over too. Don't see it as the beginning of a decline. It's realistically, one more aspect of treating the symptoms.

vvgogh

Rosie - I have used the oxygen at night for probably 8 years. Your saturation level can do a lot of things depending on your exercise and inflammation and infection. Starting oxygen at night shouldn't start you worrying about that. Look at it as a tool to help you sleep more restfully so you can be more active during the day. My levels have varied a lot over the years. Don't expect this to be the beginning of a decline expect it to energize you to keep you active.

W

windex125

I as well use O2 at night for abt 5yrs now, sure the tubing is on the fl. many mornings and others it gives me zorro marks on my face as I sleep on my side, but all in all I do think it has been a plus for the next day activities think of it as a plus and not a nefative. I only have one functioning lung as the other is so diseased it does not even show up on the xray anymore, yet I get though my day pretty well. Good Luck to you, it will only be helpful, don't let it scare you. Pat / 57- CF

Brad

dbtoo I went through that "sleep " study also. The one at home with the Cloths pin type finger cuff
that kept falling off which low readings, . You are correct the folks that do these studies are in the business on Selling Products. There is more I could say about my home study. I started using it at night when sick. I use it now . I am on O2 at night only, 1.5 lts. I sleep much better with it and my sats are 95 to 98 when awake.

P

PeteRose

Thank You all for your responses. They are doing the sleep study first then they are ordering the oxygen. I already know my sats are low at night!

Rosie

Brad

They have to have the test to get your Ins to cover the Generator .

Good Lick Rosie,, It will help you get a much better nights sleep.