PA resistant to Tobamyacin

AUradar

Okay, so my spelling is awlful, especially in the title. My little girl, 3 1/2, just cultured PA. We suspected she had it for a while and finally cultured it. It's resistant to tobamycian. So we are shifting to ciphro.

Anyone heard of PA being resistant to tobi? That has me more worried than her having PA. It seems the life of a CFer is going to be constant antibotic theorpies with each one eventually losing its effect. I hate to loose one so early.

AUradar

Okay, so my spelling is awlful, especially in the title. My little girl, 3 1/2, just cultured PA. We suspected she had it for a while and finally cultured it. It's resistant to tobamycian. So we are shifting to ciphro.

Anyone heard of PA being resistant to tobi? That has me more worried than her having PA. It seems the life of a CFer is going to be constant antibotic theorpies with each one eventually losing its effect. I hate to loose one so early.

AUradar

NoExcuses

oh yes.. my PA is resistant to tobramycin and the whole class of aminoglycosides.

it happens. PA is a very virulent drug ....

when I have a PA flare up I get Tobra and Ceftaz at the same time and they syngeristically work to overcome resistance.

NoExcuses

oh yes.. my PA is resistant to tobramycin and the whole class of aminoglycosides.

when I have a PA flare up I get Tobra and Ceftaz at the same time and they syngeristically work to overcome resistance.

NoExcuses

JazzysMom

I have 2 strains of PA. One is resistant to Tobra so when on IV I need a cocktail of tobra, zosyn & merepenum. OF course I also have MRSA so the treatment is to keep this at bay. Its not unheard of, but also treatable as a rule. Usually the problem arises when you have allergies to meds & are truly limited as resistance builds. I have been using tobra for 30 years on/off since dx & until last year I had no problems. Dont panic over it. Just be alert. Good Luck!

JazzysMom

I have 2 strains of PA. One is resistant to Tobra so when on IV I need a cocktail of tobra, zosyn & merepenum. OF course I also have MRSA so the treatment is to keep this at bay. Its not unheard of, but also treatable as a rule. Usually the problem arises when you have allergies to meds & are truly limited as resistance builds. I have been using tobra for 30 years on/off since dx & until last year I had no problems. Dont panic over it. Just be alert. Good Luck!

JazzysMom

loveee12

jazzysmom, this is probably really stupid or ignorant or both of me - can you spell out what MRSA and PA are?

loveee12

jazzysmom, this is probably really stupid or ignorant or both of me - can you spell out what MRSA and PA are?

loveee12