Pain and tingling in arm post PICC

jleigh

I had my PICC line removed Thurs (had it for 3 weeks) and while I had minor pain here and there while the line was in (around the site area) it now hurts BELOW the site area when I move my arm and is tender to the touch in that area.  Also I am experiencing a tingling down my forearm into my hand and fingers, as well as some minor pain.  There is no obvious bruising or redness.  <div><br></div><div>Has this happened to anyone else after their PICC removal?  And if so, what could be the cause?</div><div><br></div><div>Thanks so much!</div><div><br></div><div>Jen 41 w/cf</div>

jleigh

I had my PICC line removed Thurs (had it for 3 weeks) and while I had minor pain here and there while the line was in (around the site area) it now hurts BELOW the site area when I move my arm and is tender to the touch in that area. Also I am experiencing a tingling down my forearm into my hand and fingers, as well as some minor pain. There is no obvious bruising or redness. <br>Has this happened to anyone else after their PICC removal? And if so, what could be the cause?<br>Thanks so much!<br>Jen 41 w/cf

jleigh

I had my PICC line removed Thurs (had it for 3 weeks) and while I had minor pain here and there while the line was in (around the site area) it now hurts BELOW the site area when I move my arm and is tender to the touch in that area. Also I am experiencing a tingling down my forearm into my hand and fingers, as well as some minor pain. There is no obvious bruising or redness. <br>Has this happened to anyone else after their PICC removal? And if so, what could be the cause?<br>Thanks so much!<br>Jen 41 w/cf

Jana

Jen,
<br>
<br>That's a bit strange. It sounds to me more like the pain I had from a nerve issue than from an infection. Once in the process of desperately trying to get a PICC line in me, the lady hit a nerve. She tried it anyway for just a second because we had already been through several attempts. It was obvious fairly quickly that it wasn't going to work, but as a result of that incident, I had numbness and tingling running all the way down my arm for weeks. It eventually went away on its own.
<br>
<br>When I had an infected PICC line, my whole arm was red, swollen, and incredibly painful--it almost hurt to breathe on it =)
<br>
<br>If it persists, I think it would be wise to get it checked out, though. It does seem unusual, and you definitely don't want to mess around with it if there is some type of infection brewing.

Jana

Jen,
<br>
<br>That's a bit strange. It sounds to me more like the pain I had from a nerve issue than from an infection. Once in the process of desperately trying to get a PICC line in me, the lady hit a nerve. She tried it anyway for just a second because we had already been through several attempts. It was obvious fairly quickly that it wasn't going to work, but as a result of that incident, I had numbness and tingling running all the way down my arm for weeks. It eventually went away on its own.
<br>
<br>When I had an infected PICC line, my whole arm was red, swollen, and incredibly painful--it almost hurt to breathe on it =)
<br>
<br>If it persists, I think it would be wise to get it checked out, though. It does seem unusual, and you definitely don't want to mess around with it if there is some type of infection brewing.

Jana

Jen,
<br>
<br>
<br>

jleigh

Well went to the ER yesterday and found out it was due to a blood clot in my brachial vein. Was put on lovenox injections (anticoagulant) to help dissolve it. The blood clot was totally occluding the vein, hence all of the pain. The fun never ends! :p

Jen 41 w/CF

jleigh

Well went to the ER yesterday and found out it was due to a blood clot in my brachial vein. Was put on lovenox injections (anticoagulant) to help dissolve it. The blood clot was totally occluding the vein, hence all of the pain. The fun never ends! :p

Jen 41 w/CF

jleigh

<br />
<br />Jen 41 w/CF