Pain while doing vest???

Justinsmom

Hi,
My 7 year old son, who usually enjoys doing his vest treatment (chance to watch TV) compained today and cried that it really hurts him when it inflates and then when it runs its cycle. He was diagnosed in Feb. of this year and only been doing treatments since April after 4 lung infections in 2 months. Does this sound like something to be concerned about? Anyone else ever experience this? He is complaining of the pain in the left lower lung area, where all of his other infections were and the bronchoscopy had the "gunk". Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks in advance.
Justin's mama

S

stranger

As much as I love the vest, i also feel pain at times (mine on the right side). i either skip it for a day OR i will turn down the pressure. the frequency i adjust based on how the first few puffs on the neb go. of course, i'm much older than in the situation you describe, so i know my body by now.
exercise caution if you get he nurse visit; they read form the manuals. well intentioned but not realisitc coaching.

Justinsmom

Thanks! Do you know what causes the pain? Is it a sign of infection? He said he felt better by the end of the treatment, but had to stop it several times in the beginning. He will do almost anything to watch TV so I don't think he was faking the pain.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Stupid question, but it isn't the metal poking him from where the hose goes? Our son's 3 and has that problem regularly, but not always. Also I thought I heard that it can be hard to do vest and certain treatments (hyper-tonic saline?) at the same time making you breathless. . . when he has problems we sometimes then only do the vest after the nebulizers.

mysticrose

My oldest DD will complain of pain at times she has started using a cloth folded up under the vest where it hurts and that has helped alot.

marisalynn

I remember it being somewhat painful when I first started it (first got one at about age 10). If he has had the bronchoscopy recently, the tissue may still be pretty inflamed. Other than that, I think it's just something you have to get used to. Maybe lower the frequency or pressure as the others mentioned. I hope it subsides.

Marisa RN, 24 w/CF, mommy to beautiful 9-month old baby girl

S

sdelorenzo

I would make sure he gets an X-ray. Twice my son (age 8) in the past few years has complained of his vest
hurting. Both times it was where the doctor had said he was having lung problems (middle right
lobe). That is significant in that it is the problem area for your son. Other than that, no coughing or other symptoms. He
did have pneumonia both times and needed to be hospitalized. The pain during treatments is what lead us to take him
into the clinic. Also, the drs have a heard time telling what is going on without X-rays I have found.
They say he sounds clear, but X-rays tell a different story.
Sharon

Justinsmom

Thank you so much for your responses. I am keeping an eye out on this. Hard to keep up on so much and try to lead a "normal" life for him.

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Scar tissue of any kind in the chest or abdomen can cause it. Any surgeries? I reported the pain to the vest manufacturer and they were familiar with the problem. They provided two somewhat stiff foam inserts which I velcroed into the vest and we've had no pain since except for occasional gas. We always wait 30 minutes or more after eating before using the vest. I would call the manufacturer. I hope that helps.

Hardak

Don't know what I can tell you to help but I've had issues with this exact problem in the past after I had fractured a rib coughing. I've got a spot now in my lower right that I can't touch/do a vest cause my pain level jumps. Best of luck hope you figure something out, he may be able to tolerate smaller runs with it is all I can suggest.