Painful sweat test?

longhorn4life

When I had my sweat test done the right arm kind of stung but I was able to distract myself with talking to the person performing it. When they did the left arm, however, it hurt so bad I almost started crying. And no, the pain was not a "child interpreting tingly as painful" because I had the test done when I was 19.

hmw

Yikes... I wonder if some places use a stronger electrical current than others? Or if the pilocarpine gel can cause skin irritation when applied to the skin to some people and combined with the stimulation, causes pain?

hmw

Yikes... I wonder if some places use a stronger electrical current than others? Or if the pilocarpine gel can cause skin irritation when applied to the skin to some people and combined with the stimulation, causes pain?

hmw

Brad

The sweat Test does hurt a bit, like lite Bee stings.

I had my first one back in 1965, that one was the worst.
But the ones I had after that were not as bad.
For some reason I get different readings in Right and Left arm.
That is why I had a so many of them.

It feels like the shock of a 9 volt battery on the tongue
but on the arm. So, yes it does hurt a bit.

Brad

The sweat Test does hurt a bit, like lite Bee stings.

I had my first one back in 1965, that one was the worst.
But the ones I had after that were not as bad.
For some reason I get different readings in Right and Left arm.
That is why I had a so many of them.

It feels like the shock of a 9 volt battery on the tongue
but on the arm. So, yes it does hurt a bit.

Brad

<br /> The sweat Test does hurt a bit, like lite Bee stings.
<br />
<br /> I had my first one back in 1965, that one was the worst.
<br /> But the ones I had after that were not as bad.
<br /> For some reason I get different readings in Right and Left arm.
<br /> That is why I had a so many of them.
<br />
<br /> It feels like the shock of a 9 volt battery on the tongue
<br /> but on the arm. So, yes it does hurt a bit.

dlo2977

My daughter had it done when she was 3 and she didn't react to it at all. My son was tested at a month old and slept through it.

dlo2977

My daughter had it done when she was 3 and she didn't react to it at all. My son was tested at a month old and slept through it.

dlo2977

Eden

Thanks everyone. It seems like it either has to do with the sensitivity of the skin or how the test is performed. How strange, DS has hypersensitive skin and you can gently rub your nail across his arm and it will turn into a red line for a while (DD would "write" on him when he was younger) but it doesn't hurt him at all. I am surprised to see how many people saying it hurt, I was starting to wonder if the woman burnt him, he also had red circles on his arms for a couple of days after the test.

Eden

Thanks everyone. It seems like it either has to do with the sensitivity of the skin or how the test is performed. How strange, DS has hypersensitive skin and you can gently rub your nail across his arm and it will turn into a red line for a while (DD would "write" on him when he was younger) but it doesn't hurt him at all. I am surprised to see how many people saying it hurt, I was starting to wonder if the woman burnt him, he also had red circles on his arms for a couple of days after the test.

Eden

longhorn4life

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Eden</b></i>

Thanks everyone. It seems like it either has to do with the sensitivity of the skin or how the test is performed. How strange, DS has hypersensitive skin and you can gently rub your nail across his arm and it will turn into a red line for a while (DD would "write" on him when he was younger) but it doesn't hurt him at all. I am surprised to see how many people saying it hurt, I was starting to wonder if the woman burnt him, he also had red circles on his arms for a couple of days after the test.</end quote></div>

My doctor says I have a skin allergy called dermotographism. He literally wrote the word 'HELP' on my stomach with his fingernail (then called the entire staff in to see it because he thought it was funny). It sounds like your son has the same allergy. Maybe that's connected to why the sweat test was painful for the both of us but not for everyone...? It's a common factor, at least.

longhorn4life

Thanks everyone. It seems like it either has to do with the sensitivity of the skin or how the test is performed. How strange, DS has hypersensitive skin and you can gently rub your nail across his arm and it will turn into a red line for a while (DD would "write" on him when he was younger) but it doesn't hurt him at all. I am surprised to see how many people saying it hurt, I was starting to wonder if the woman burnt him, he also had red circles on his arms for a couple of days after the test.</end quote>

My doctor says I have a skin allergy called dermotographism. He literally wrote the word 'HELP' on my stomach with his fingernail (then called the entire staff in to see it because he thought it was funny). It sounds like your son has the same allergy. Maybe that's connected to why the sweat test was painful for the both of us but not for everyone...? It's a common factor, at least.

longhorn4life

<br />
<br />Thanks everyone. It seems like it either has to do with the sensitivity of the skin or how the test is performed. How strange, DS has hypersensitive skin and you can gently rub your nail across his arm and it will turn into a red line for a while (DD would "write" on him when he was younger) but it doesn't hurt him at all. I am surprised to see how many people saying it hurt, I was starting to wonder if the woman burnt him, he also had red circles on his arms for a couple of days after the test.</end quote>
<br />
<br />My doctor says I have a skin allergy called dermotographism. He literally wrote the word 'HELP' on my stomach with his fingernail (then called the entire staff in to see it because he thought it was funny). It sounds like your son has the same allergy. Maybe that's connected to why the sweat test was painful for the both of us but not for everyone...? It's a common factor, at least.

kitomd21

If the contacts aren't precise, then it can be painful. This is why they didn't perform a sweat test on my daughter when she was an infant (i.e., she was too small and they didn't want to risk burning her). Perhaps the contact points weren't sufficient....

kitomd21

If the contacts aren't precise, then it can be painful. This is why they didn't perform a sweat test on my daughter when she was an infant (i.e., she was too small and they didn't want to risk burning her). Perhaps the contact points weren't sufficient....

kitomd21