Pancreas

mbrandazzo

Hi Everyone,

The impact of my son's CF hits me at different times, and unfortunately today was one of those days.

He is almost two now, and I remember right after he was first diagnosed we went to a CF Education Night at his hospital. It was a wonderful presentation that gave us a lot of hope for Logan's future... However one thing that was said rang in my head today. It was that by the time a Cf'er is two, their pancreas pretty much shot (at least with those who are PI, which my son happens to be).

So my question is, for those of you who are older now, or for anyone who has heard anything that could be of help, what implications does having "bad" pancreas have? I know he will take enzymes for the rest of his life, but are there any other "side effects" that happen later in life from not having your pancreas function, and can they be treated.

Just wondering and concerned...

mbrandazzo

Hi Everyone,

The impact of my son's CF hits me at different times, and unfortunately today was one of those days.

He is almost two now, and I remember right after he was first diagnosed we went to a CF Education Night at his hospital. It was a wonderful presentation that gave us a lot of hope for Logan's future... However one thing that was said rang in my head today. It was that by the time a Cf'er is two, their pancreas pretty much shot (at least with those who are PI, which my son happens to be).

So my question is, for those of you who are older now, or for anyone who has heard anything that could be of help, what implications does having "bad" pancreas have? I know he will take enzymes for the rest of his life, but are there any other "side effects" that happen later in life from not having your pancreas function, and can they be treated.

mbrandazzo

Hi Everyone,

mbrandazzo

Hi Everyone,

mbrandazzo

Hi Everyone,
<br />
<br />The impact of my son's CF hits me at different times, and unfortunately today was one of those days.
<br />
<br />He is almost two now, and I remember right after he was first diagnosed we went to a CF Education Night at his hospital. It was a wonderful presentation that gave us a lot of hope for Logan's future... However one thing that was said rang in my head today. It was that by the time a Cf'er is two, their pancreas pretty much shot (at least with those who are PI, which my son happens to be).
<br />
<br />So my question is, for those of you who are older now, or for anyone who has heard anything that could be of help, what implications does having "bad" pancreas have? I know he will take enzymes for the rest of his life, but are there any other "side effects" that happen later in life from not having your pancreas function, and can they be treated.
<br />
<br />Just wondering and concerned...

JazzysMom

CFRD=CF Related Diabetes is one other thing besides the need for enzymes.

The pancrease produces our natural insulin & depending on the damage &/or the patient, we either have a sluggish insulin output or no insulin output.

Pancreatitis (inflammation with pain) has been reported as well.

Most of these things come late on in life as a CFer reaches adulthood.

JazzysMom

The pancrease produces our natural insulin & depending on the damage &/or the patient, we either have a sluggish insulin output or no insulin output.

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />The pancrease produces our natural insulin & depending on the damage &/or the patient, we either have a sluggish insulin output or no insulin output.
<br />
<br />Pancreatitis (inflammation with pain) has been reported as well.
<br />
<br />Most of these things come late on in life as a CFer reaches adulthood.

ERINSBIZ

I am PI. I don't have painful stomach aches but on some occasions. I took enzymes up until I had my children. Why? Because I had children and I neglected to take the time. So I still don't take enzymes. Yes, my stools are typical pi stools. I have never had a blockage and honestly I manage my stools by my diet. If I eat a ton of greasy laden food then I am not doing myself any favors. I still eat the french fries and such yummy foods but in moderation. I also like vegies and "healthy" foods. I'm weird that way but much to a blessing in that way.

ERINSBIZ

I am PI. I don't have painful stomach aches but on some occasions. I took enzymes up until I had my children. Why? Because I had children and I neglected to take the time. So I still don't take enzymes. Yes, my stools are typical pi stools. I have never had a blockage and honestly I manage my stools by my diet. If I eat a ton of greasy laden food then I am not doing myself any favors. I still eat the french fries and such yummy foods but in moderation. I also like vegies and "healthy" foods. I'm weird that way but much to a blessing in that way.

ERINSBIZ

ERINSBIZ

ERINSBIZ