pancreatitis in kids?

3LilFightersmom

I have 4 kids, 3 with CF. Recently my older two boys have been having issues with pancreatitis. *** all 3 boys are PS*** So, the two older boys have had additional labs done, etc, dealing with bouts of extreme pain, some malabsorbtion now, etc. Right before Christmas my 4 year old Cf'er started having stomach pain, sometimes vomiting, sometimes not. At the same time my almost 2 yr old Non cf'er had some diarrea so i thought maybe the 4 yr old CFer caught a stomach virus from the lil one. Anyhow, this has lasted on and off again for like 2 weeks now. I took him to regular peds dr, they did labs, and guess what? pancreatitis! WTH? this is all within like 4 months of eachother. I justified the older two being so close because they are only like a year and 2 days apart, but my youngest is 4. I was instructed to follow up with cf clinic GI. I'm just trying to figure out how this happened to all of them so close to eachother? Anyone with kids that have this issue? any of those kids go from PS to PI? Just looking for insight. I feel puzzled right now.

Printer

I don't have kids with pancreatitis but I do have some personal experience.

If your kids have malabsorbion then they are NOT 100% PS. They have begun moving into PI. Nobody goes to sleep PS and wakes up PI, it is an ongoing process. I would expect that the GI Doctor would get them on enzymes. Stomach pain and/or diarrea CAN be caused by the stomach not digesting food as a result of a lack of enzymes.

Food, not properly digested in the stomach will continue through the digestive system and cause irritation and inflamation.

Finally, your kids most likely have the same mutations, therefore they all could be prone to pancreatic problems. Try to find a CF-GI who is experienced in pancreatitis.

Bill