Parents w/children w/CF

T

tammykrumrey

We were never discouraged from sending our kids to daycare. We were told, by our CF doctor at the time, that kids with CF are going to catch all the common colds that all kids will catch. They will either catch them when they are in daycare, or they will start catching them when they start school. And in their opinion, we might as well get it out of the way while they were in daycare, before they went to school and started missing days when it 'counts'.

Now, with that being said, you should discuss it more with your childs CF team. I would do as they suggested if they are concerned about his health.

Kayla didn't start going to daycare until she was about 19 months old. She really needed to be around little kids her age. When I worked, she stayed with my mom or my mother in law. No kids around. And she NEEDED the interaction with kids her age! Hannah started going to daycare at about 3 months old (part time) b/c my parents were in a motorcycle wreck and my mom couldn't care for her for several months while she was recovering.

Yes, both kids caught colds, but they didn't really get worst than any of the other kids. And now, they actally get sick less often than other kids I know. My friends are amazed at how little they are sick with just 'normal' colds and junk.

I am sure that daycares are different in certain parts of the country, but I was never asked to pay more money for anything extra my girls needed in their CF care. I would had been shocked if someone would had told me it would cost more money to give my girls enzymes or a neb treatment when needed. I definately would had looked into other places. I find that very sad to ask for more money for something like that.

I am sorry that you are in such a tough situation.

T

tammykrumrey

We were never discouraged from sending our kids to daycare. We were told, by our CF doctor at the time, that kids with CF are going to catch all the common colds that all kids will catch. They will either catch them when they are in daycare, or they will start catching them when they start school. And in their opinion, we might as well get it out of the way while they were in daycare, before they went to school and started missing days when it 'counts'.

Now, with that being said, you should discuss it more with your childs CF team. I would do as they suggested if they are concerned about his health.

Kayla didn't start going to daycare until she was about 19 months old. She really needed to be around little kids her age. When I worked, she stayed with my mom or my mother in law. No kids around. And she NEEDED the interaction with kids her age! Hannah started going to daycare at about 3 months old (part time) b/c my parents were in a motorcycle wreck and my mom couldn't care for her for several months while she was recovering.

Yes, both kids caught colds, but they didn't really get worst than any of the other kids. And now, they actally get sick less often than other kids I know. My friends are amazed at how little they are sick with just 'normal' colds and junk.

I am sure that daycares are different in certain parts of the country, but I was never asked to pay more money for anything extra my girls needed in their CF care. I would had been shocked if someone would had told me it would cost more money to give my girls enzymes or a neb treatment when needed. I definately would had looked into other places. I find that very sad to ask for more money for something like that.

T

tammykrumrey

T

tammykrumrey

T

tammykrumrey

<br />
<br />Now, with that being said, you should discuss it more with your childs CF team. I would do as they suggested if they are concerned about his health.
<br />
<br />Kayla didn't start going to daycare until she was about 19 months old. She really needed to be around little kids her age. When I worked, she stayed with my mom or my mother in law. No kids around. And she NEEDED the interaction with kids her age! Hannah started going to daycare at about 3 months old (part time) b/c my parents were in a motorcycle wreck and my mom couldn't care for her for several months while she was recovering.
<br />
<br />Yes, both kids caught colds, but they didn't really get worst than any of the other kids. And now, they actally get sick less often than other kids I know. My friends are amazed at how little they are sick with just 'normal' colds and junk.
<br />
<br />I am sure that daycares are different in certain parts of the country, but I was never asked to pay more money for anything extra my girls needed in their CF care. I would had been shocked if someone would had told me it would cost more money to give my girls enzymes or a neb treatment when needed. I definately would had looked into other places. I find that very sad to ask for more money for something like that.
<br />
<br />I am sorry that you are in such a tough situation.
<br />
<br />
<br />