Partner having fears of being alone

Printer

OK. I have CF and im 70 years old (71 in January) in September 2010 we celebrated our 48 wedding anniversary.
<br />Two things come to mind. First you need to prepare for a long life and two a CURE will be found in your lifetime.
<br />
<br />If you go to the CFF website, you can acess the latest annual report (2008) there you will find that in that year the oldest person with CF was 83.
<br />
<br />Bill

W

welshwitch

IMHO, this is so hard because it's not like it's something we're doing that our partners have a hard time with. It's WHO WE ARE. I feel like how we handle it should count for so much. If they still can't handle it, then it's like, what can you do? I spent so much time consoling my now ex boyfriend about this, and actually, in retrospect, I felt like it wasn't fair. I was the perfect girlfriend. I just had a health issue that wasn't my fault.

Does that make sense?

W

welshwitch

IMHO, this is so hard because it's not like it's something we're doing that our partners have a hard time with. It's WHO WE ARE. I feel like how we handle it should count for so much. If they still can't handle it, then it's like, what can you do? I spent so much time consoling my now ex boyfriend about this, and actually, in retrospect, I felt like it wasn't fair. I was the perfect girlfriend. I just had a health issue that wasn't my fault.

Does that make sense?

W

welshwitch

<br />
<br />Does that make sense?

erock77

Thanks Printer for the encouragement, however that 83 year old person was born before CF was even discovered, as were you I suppose, and life expectancy was like 5. So that person is obviously an anomaly. Do you have delayed or mild CF? Were you hospitalized a lot as a kid or young adult? I assume you were a delayed symptom or very mild CF'er given your very late diagnosis.

I realize there's some older CF'ers out there and realize there's a chance I could last pretty long. Though I have a very moderate/average case, I grew up with CF symptoms and lots of hospitalizations, even a lobectomy at 11. So I don't believe I'll make it to 70 or 80, and if I were to try to convince her or someone else that's a possibility, I would have to believe it first.

erock77

Thanks Printer for the encouragement, however that 83 year old person was born before CF was even discovered, as were you I suppose, and life expectancy was like 5. So that person is obviously an anomaly. Do you have delayed or mild CF? Were you hospitalized a lot as a kid or young adult? I assume you were a delayed symptom or very mild CF'er given your very late diagnosis.

I realize there's some older CF'ers out there and realize there's a chance I could last pretty long. Though I have a very moderate/average case, I grew up with CF symptoms and lots of hospitalizations, even a lobectomy at 11. So I don't believe I'll make it to 70 or 80, and if I were to try to convince her or someone else that's a possibility, I would have to believe it first.

erock77

<br />
<br />I realize there's some older CF'ers out there and realize there's a chance I could last pretty long. Though I have a very moderate/average case, I grew up with CF symptoms and lots of hospitalizations, even a lobectomy at 11. So I don't believe I'll make it to 70 or 80, and if I were to try to convince her or someone else that's a possibility, I would have to believe it first.

anahsohs

Hi erock, I am also a long distance girlfriend of a CFer.
If she ever wants to talk, I would be more than willing to talk with her.

anahsohs

If she ever wants to talk, I would be more than willing to talk with her.

anahsohs

<br />If she ever wants to talk, I would be more than willing to talk with her.