Paul Harvey Show

R

rarab43

If he was talking about the drug for CF and Duchene MD then it is already in trials and is PTC124 and is only for those who have nonsense mutations. My son was in the trial year before last and will enroll in the next phase soon hopefully.

R

rarab43

If he was talking about the drug for CF and Duchene MD then it is already in trials and is PTC124 and is only for those who have nonsense mutations. My son was in the trial year before last and will enroll in the next phase soon hopefully.

R

rarab43

Allisa35

I don't want to sound stupid, but what is a nonsense mutation? I've never heard of this. Also, just curious how the trial went for your son. Did you see any improvement?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>rarab43</b></i>

If he was talking about the drug for CF and Duchene MD then it is already in trials and is PTC124 and is only for those who have nonsense mutations. My son was in the trial year before last and will enroll in the next phase soon hopefully.</end quote></div>

Allisa35

I don't want to sound stupid, but what is a nonsense mutation? I've never heard of this. Also, just curious how the trial went for your son. Did you see any improvement?

If he was talking about the drug for CF and Duchene MD then it is already in trials and is PTC124 and is only for those who have nonsense mutations. My son was in the trial year before last and will enroll in the next phase soon hopefully.</end quote></div>

Allisa35

ViviansMom

Please explain the nonsenses mutation . My daughter has both the Delta5 and the G588F gene.

ViviansMom

Please explain the nonsenses mutation . My daughter has both the Delta5 and the G588F gene.

ViviansMom

65rosessamurai

PpAAUUuLl Harveyy....Good Day!

I thought Paul Harvey passed away years ago!? He's still live, kicking and on the air!? Must be a world's record or something!
I heard he's a diabetic, though. (Just an FYI if it means anything)

65rosessamurai

I thought Paul Harvey passed away years ago!? He's still live, kicking and on the air!? Must be a world's record or something!

65rosessamurai

HRod

Nonsense mutations or stop mutations are alterations in the DNA that, when transcribed into mRNA, introduce a premature translation termination codon. This change halts the ribosomal translation process at an earlier site than normal, producing a truncated, non-functional protein. In other words when the protein is on its way to be formed this mutation commands the protein to stop. At this time the protein is not fully formed. The function of PTC124 is to jump this stop sign and eventually, a full length of protein is produced.
If you have an X at the end of your mutation (i.e R553x) then you have a nonsense mutation.

HRod

Nonsense mutations or stop mutations are alterations in the DNA that, when transcribed into mRNA, introduce a premature translation termination codon. This change halts the ribosomal translation process at an earlier site than normal, producing a truncated, non-functional protein. In other words when the protein is on its way to be formed this mutation commands the protein to stop. At this time the protein is not fully formed. The function of PTC124 is to jump this stop sign and eventually, a full length of protein is produced.
If you have an X at the end of your mutation (i.e R553x) then you have a nonsense mutation.

HRod

R

rarab43

Hrod did a great job explaining the nonsense mutations- they do end in an x and make up 10% of the CF population. My son was only on the med for a short period of time- that phase was mainly for safety and dosage purposes. The results were tested using nasal pds and it did show improvement- his dr said not normal but less like CF than the pre test. Susan

R

rarab43

Hrod did a great job explaining the nonsense mutations- they do end in an x and make up 10% of the CF population. My son was only on the med for a short period of time- that phase was mainly for safety and dosage purposes. The results were tested using nasal pds and it did show improvement- his dr said not normal but less like CF than the pre test. Susan

R

rarab43