PEP

L

luke

sorry, I am feeling lazy today and it is easier this way. If you have any specific questions let me know.

http://www.cystic-l.org/handbook/html/physical_therapy.htm#Positive

luke

anonymous

My daughter Samantha tried the PEP device yesterday at clinic. It consists of a mouthpiece or mask that you breathe into as it provides a set amount of pressure. Here is a more scientific explanation:

"Positive expiratory pressure (PEP) devices provide constant back pressure to the airways during expiration. This may improve clearance by building up gas behind mucus via collateral ventilation."

She has been struggling with a lot of mucous build up in the lower lobes and CPT alone is not doing the trick. She is very young to try the PEP. She just turned two. In fact, when our doctor walked in as she was trying it, she was rather surprised that our therapist even gave it to us. But let me tell you, after Samantha watched me do it a couple of times, she took her device and just kept blowing into it repeatedly. She kept the measuring device up for more than a couple seconds, too! Our pulmonologist said, "We need to take a picture of this!" We will continue to do CPT and we just received the vest for a trial run. But I will continue with the PEP on a regular basis since Sami enjoyed it and it can help her.

Maria

Aussimum

My daughter has been doing PEP combined with percussion since she was 18 months old - and the combination really helps her cough up mucus. Also i find with her it gives me a good indication if she is not well - if she blows really easily into it then i know her lungs are clear, but she can have no cough but have trouble blowing into the PEP and i know something is going on and take her straight away to see the doctor.