PFTs interpretation

spacemom

My son had PFTs last 17th, a little over one month after being discharged from hospital from an exacerbation.
Now, I know the important items where to look in the results sheet is FEV1, but hehas several FEV1's:
FEV1
FEV1 % VC MAX
FEV1 % FVC

I also hear TLC is important, and so are FEF25-75.
But to puzzle me some more, there are 6 columns after the letters. Three before salbutamol and three after salbutamol.

Also his oxygen status is worrying me. His pO2 figure (70.7) has a little arrow down, which means it's low. But his s02 is 96.0%. Is this OK?

Please help. The column titles are Pred, Actl, and %Actual/Pred for the pre-salbutamol part.
The post-salbutamol columns have the titles: Act2, %Act2/Pr and D% Act2/

If you tell me the relevant items and columns I will tell you the respective figures, so you can tell me if the PFT's are OK (his next appt is too far ahead in time, on Dec 6th only)

Thanks in advance, your help will be much appreciated
Stay well and strong, you rock guys!!

spacemom

My son had PFTs last 17th, a little over one month after being discharged from hospital from an exacerbation.
Now, I know the important items where to look in the results sheet is FEV1, but hehas several FEV1's:
FEV1
FEV1 % VC MAX
FEV1 % FVC

But to puzzle me some more, there are 6 columns after the letters. Three before salbutamol and three after salbutamol.

Also his oxygen status is worrying me. His pO2 figure (70.7) has a little arrow down, which means it's low. But his s02 is 96.0%. Is this OK?

Please help. The column titles are Pred, Actl, and %Actual/Pred for the pre-salbutamol part.

If you tell me the relevant items and columns I will tell you the respective figures, so you can tell me if the PFT's are OK (his next appt is too far ahead in time, on Dec 6th only)

spacemom

FEV1
FEV1 % VC MAX
FEV1 % FVC

spacemom

FEV1
FEV1 % VC MAX
FEV1 % FVC

spacemom

FEV1
FEV1 % VC MAX
FEV1 % FVC

thefrogprincess

I can help with SOME of this. Once upon a time I knew what all that meant, but I forget some of it and I don't want to give you incorrect info.

FEV1 is the most important. It means Forced Expelatory Volume in 1 second. Or the volume of air that is expelled in the first hard punch of the PFT. They take into account his age, height and weight when doing PFTs. They compair his numbers with those of what someone of the same age, height and weight without CF would blow and that is how they come up with the percentage.

Pred= Predicted (or what the "normal" person would blow).
Actl= Actual (what HE actually blew)
%Actual/Pred= The percentage of the actual volume to the predicted volume.

thefrogprincess

I can help with SOME of this. Once upon a time I knew what all that meant, but I forget some of it and I don't want to give you incorrect info.

FEV1 is the most important. It means Forced Expelatory Volume in 1 second. Or the volume of air that is expelled in the first hard punch of the PFT. They take into account his age, height and weight when doing PFTs. They compair his numbers with those of what someone of the same age, height and weight without CF would blow and that is how they come up with the percentage.

thefrogprincess

thefrogprincess

thefrogprincess

Alyssa

The two that I was told to look at are the FEV1 and the 25%-75% numbers

If I remember right the FEV1 goes something like this:
85% and above = normal
75-84 = mild loss of lung function
40-74 = moderate loss
under 40% = severe loss

(give or take - I'm pulling that out of the memory banks so I'm sure I'm off a little)

I don't remember the numbers for the 25-75, but I do know that they represent what's happening in the smaller airways and we have always been told this is where we see the asthma reaction in my kids - with the smaller airways getting plugged up and/or inflamed.

My guess is salbutamol is the drug they gave him to see if they could get an improvement in the numbers -- this has happened with both my kids (numbers did what they expected to see - increased after the medicine) so they are on long acting steroid inhalers - my daughter is on Flovent, my son is on Symbicort.

Hope that helps

Alyssa

85% and above = normal
40-74 = moderate loss
under 40% = severe loss

(give or take - I'm pulling that out of the memory banks so I'm sure I'm off a little)

I don't remember the numbers for the 25-75, but I do know that they represent what's happening in the smaller airways and we have always been told this is where we see the asthma reaction in my kids - with the smaller airways getting plugged up and/or inflamed.

My guess is salbutamol is the drug they gave him to see if they could get an improvement in the numbers -- this has happened with both my kids (numbers did what they expected to see - increased after the medicine) so they are on long acting steroid inhalers - my daughter is on Flovent, my son is on Symbicort.

Hope that helps

Alyssa

85% and above = normal
40-74 = moderate loss
under 40% = severe loss

Hope that helps

Alyssa

85% and above = normal
40-74 = moderate loss
under 40% = severe loss

Hope that helps

Alyssa

85% and above = normal
40-74 = moderate loss
under 40% = severe loss

Hope that helps

spacemom

Thanks so much Jessi and Alyssa....
Well, I guess this is a little low. FEV1 %actl/pred = 56... OMG. And MFEF25/75 % actl/pr = 32. Hmmmm. Good grief! He's having a CT scan next week... hope it's better... anyway, he has seen some improvement in his mucus stuff, after long months/almost 2 years of yellowish stuff he says it's now clear.
Thanks again and wishing the very best to you/your dear ones with CF.
Much love all the way from Portugal
Space mom (to Miguel, 20)

spacemom

Well, I guess this is a little low. FEV1 %actl/pred = 56... OMG. And MFEF25/75 % actl/pr = 32. Hmmmm. Good grief! He's having a CT scan next week... hope it's better... anyway, he has seen some improvement in his mucus stuff, after long months/almost 2 years of yellowish stuff he says it's now clear.

spacemom

spacemom

spacemom