PFTs measured different on different machines

sarabeth87

I just wondered how big of a difference should u expect on different machines. When I moved from the pediatric to the adults, there was a HUGE difference in my PFTs. My last FEV1 in Peds. was 90%, then when I moved to adults and did my PFTs less than 6 months later, my FEV1 was 70% and it has never come up (that was 2 years ago). My doc said there was a decline but not as bad as it looked cuz the machines measure different. I still have <b>NEVER</b>been on IVS and my FEV1 now is at 66%. This really worries me because I wouldn't think 2 machines could be so different. My brother is still at Peds and his FEV1 is at 72%, so I worry what it will be when he moves to adult next year. If they are so different how can they accurately decide your level of lung disease or when u need a transplant?

sarabeth87

I just wondered how big of a difference should u expect on different machines. When I moved from the pediatric to the adults, there was a HUGE difference in my PFTs. My last FEV1 in Peds. was 90%, then when I moved to adults and did my PFTs less than 6 months later, my FEV1 was 70% and it has never come up (that was 2 years ago). My doc said there was a decline but not as bad as it looked cuz the machines measure different. I still have <b>NEVER</b>been on IVS and my FEV1 now is at 66%. This really worries me because I wouldn't think 2 machines could be so different. My brother is still at Peds and his FEV1 is at 72%, so I worry what it will be when he moves to adult next year. If they are so different how can they accurately decide your level of lung disease or when u need a transplant?

sarabeth87

sarabeth87

sarabeth87

rubyroselee

Instead of the percentage, you should look at the actual number. When I changed CF centers, my PFTs went from FEV1 of 80% to 93%. I have never hit anything close to 90% before so I was a bit confused. The PFT tech said that you have to look at the actual number (I think it's liters/min) because each machine is calibrated differently for the percentage. When I looked at my numbers, they were the same between the 2 centers.

rubyroselee

Instead of the percentage, you should look at the actual number. When I changed CF centers, my PFTs went from FEV1 of 80% to 93%. I have never hit anything close to 90% before so I was a bit confused. The PFT tech said that you have to look at the actual number (I think it's liters/min) because each machine is calibrated differently for the percentage. When I looked at my numbers, they were the same between the 2 centers.

rubyroselee

rubyroselee

rubyroselee

geckolady

I had the same problem, my FEV1 was in the 90%'s at the childrens hospital and it dropped down into the 70's when I started going to the adult clinic. I still haven't figured it out, but leah's right that you should look at the numbers not the percentages.

geckolady

I had the same problem, my FEV1 was in the 90%'s at the childrens hospital and it dropped down into the 70's when I started going to the adult clinic. I still haven't figured it out, but leah's right that you should look at the numbers not the percentages.

geckolady

geckolady

geckolady

C

cfsucks

i had a similar issue. one month i went in blew... high 70's... next time i came in high 60's... but the numbers were identical.

C

cfsucks

i had a similar issue. one month i went in blew... high 70's... next time i came in high 60's... but the numbers were identical.

C

cfsucks

C

cfsucks

C

cfsucks