pharmacy choice

AimeeSue82

Does anyone use Foundation Care or CF Services Pharmacy for their drugs? Currently I only get Cayston from Foundation Care Pharmacy and everything else I get from Walgreens. But this month is the first month I've been on Medicare (with a supplemental insurance policy purchased separately) and I'm coming to find out that Medicare really sucks with CF drugs! I just paid Walgreens $60 for HTS and now they want more than $100 for azithromycin 500mg. I can't even imagine what they're going to change for Pulmozyme or Tobi when I need my refill. So I've been looking at the 2 mail order pharmacies that specialize in CF care. They have some benefits like free HTS or Aquadeks. I was just wondering if anyone has any experiences with either or both. Which is better as far as cost or added benefits? Good things? Bad things? Anything you can share. Thanks!

~Aimee, 28 w/ CF (PA & MRSA)

AimeeSue82

Does anyone use Foundation Care or CF Services Pharmacy for their drugs? Currently I only get Cayston from Foundation Care Pharmacy and everything else I get from Walgreens. But this month is the first month I've been on Medicare (with a supplemental insurance policy purchased separately) and I'm coming to find out that Medicare really sucks with CF drugs! I just paid Walgreens $60 for HTS and now they want more than $100 for azithromycin 500mg. I can't even imagine what they're going to change for Pulmozyme or Tobi when I need my refill. So I've been looking at the 2 mail order pharmacies that specialize in CF care. They have some benefits like free HTS or Aquadeks. I was just wondering if anyone has any experiences with either or both. Which is better as far as cost or added benefits? Good things? Bad things? Anything you can share. Thanks!

~Aimee, 28 w/ CF (PA & MRSA)

AimeeSue82

<br />
<br />~Aimee, 28 w/ CF (PA & MRSA)

M

marcijo

I use CF Services-they have generic HTS for $19.45. Also-have you applied to the CF Patient Assistance Foundation? They now cover my copays for my inhaled meds!

M

marcijo

I use CF Services-they have generic HTS for $19.45. Also-have you applied to the CF Patient Assistance Foundation? They now cover my copays for my inhaled meds!

M

marcijo

Ldude916

Do you have the $10 TOBI co-pay card? Not sure if it's valid to use with medicare though... but you only pay $10 for your script. <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.tobitime.com/info/co-pay-card-tobi.jsp
">http://www.tobitime.com/info/co-pay-card-tobi.jsp
</a>
Also check PatientAssistance.com for coupons for brand name meds. They also list out pharmaceutical companies on there for each drug that offer assistance programs that you may be eligible for.

I used Foundation Care for my TOBI, and I got free Pari Nebs and free HTS. I had a very good experience with them (until my insurance decided I could only get my prescriptions from CVS)....

Also check out needymeds.org. I would contact the social worker in your CF center and talk to her/him about how these coupons/assistance programs work in conjunction with Medicare and how you can get the best deal. The social worker may also know of other programs that can help you.

Ldude916

Do you have the $10 TOBI co-pay card? Not sure if it's valid to use with medicare though... but you only pay $10 for your script. <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.tobitime.com/info/co-pay-card-tobi.jsp
</a>
Also check PatientAssistance.com for coupons for brand name meds. They also list out pharmaceutical companies on there for each drug that offer assistance programs that you may be eligible for.

I used Foundation Care for my TOBI, and I got free Pari Nebs and free HTS. I had a very good experience with them (until my insurance decided I could only get my prescriptions from CVS)....

Also check out needymeds.org. I would contact the social worker in your CF center and talk to her/him about how these coupons/assistance programs work in conjunction with Medicare and how you can get the best deal. The social worker may also know of other programs that can help you.

Ldude916

</a><br />
<br />Also check PatientAssistance.com for coupons for brand name meds. They also list out pharmaceutical companies on there for each drug that offer assistance programs that you may be eligible for.
<br />
<br />I used Foundation Care for my TOBI, and I got free Pari Nebs and free HTS. I had a very good experience with them (until my insurance decided I could only get my prescriptions from CVS)....
<br />
<br />Also check out needymeds.org. I would contact the social worker in your CF center and talk to her/him about how these coupons/assistance programs work in conjunction with Medicare and how you can get the best deal. The social worker may also know of other programs that can help you.

ej0820

Hey there!

Great question!

First of all, in my 25 years of experience, I've found that retail pharmacies are the worst! When I was little, we first got everything from a Walgreens type drug store. My meds were ALWAYS terribly expensive and the pharmacy couldn't always get them in a decent amount of time because the drugs I needed weren't common (like enzymes). I now use a local pharmacy that specializes in CF meds. They also have agents who are very familiar with the ins and outs of insurance companies (especially medicare). I only use Walgreens now for test strips and emergency rxs. However, there are still drugs that my pharmacy cannot get (Cayston, Pulmozyme, etc). For the drugs they cannot get, I use IV Solutions in Texas. They are extremely accommodating and know the ins and outs of medicare pretty well. They are very efficient in refills, even if you need a refill and don't have proper coverage. When I was put on cayston (which I can't take anymore), they were able to get it for me right away and they handled all the insurance coverage issues between medicare and my doctor. A while ago I was also put on HTS. Well, my medicare part B or D would not cover it, no matter what. Because I'm on other inhaled meds with them though, they send my HTS free of charge with my refills of Colistin. They know I need it, so they make sure I get it. Like I said, they are very accommodating and they deal with CF drugs/patients quite often. They're also good about telling you how much drugs will cost you out of pocket before filling them so you don't end up with surprise bills after getting a refill.

Good luck, I hope you get some good responses.

www.ivsolutions.com (I use the Lubbock, TX office)

ej0820

Hey there!

Great question!

First of all, in my 25 years of experience, I've found that retail pharmacies are the worst! When I was little, we first got everything from a Walgreens type drug store. My meds were ALWAYS terribly expensive and the pharmacy couldn't always get them in a decent amount of time because the drugs I needed weren't common (like enzymes). I now use a local pharmacy that specializes in CF meds. They also have agents who are very familiar with the ins and outs of insurance companies (especially medicare). I only use Walgreens now for test strips and emergency rxs. However, there are still drugs that my pharmacy cannot get (Cayston, Pulmozyme, etc). For the drugs they cannot get, I use IV Solutions in Texas. They are extremely accommodating and know the ins and outs of medicare pretty well. They are very efficient in refills, even if you need a refill and don't have proper coverage. When I was put on cayston (which I can't take anymore), they were able to get it for me right away and they handled all the insurance coverage issues between medicare and my doctor. A while ago I was also put on HTS. Well, my medicare part B or D would not cover it, no matter what. Because I'm on other inhaled meds with them though, they send my HTS free of charge with my refills of Colistin. They know I need it, so they make sure I get it. Like I said, they are very accommodating and they deal with CF drugs/patients quite often. They're also good about telling you how much drugs will cost you out of pocket before filling them so you don't end up with surprise bills after getting a refill.

Good luck, I hope you get some good responses.

www.ivsolutions.com (I use the Lubbock, TX office)

ej0820

Hey there!
<br />
<br />Great question!
<br />
<br />First of all, in my 25 years of experience, I've found that retail pharmacies are the worst! When I was little, we first got everything from a Walgreens type drug store. My meds were ALWAYS terribly expensive and the pharmacy couldn't always get them in a decent amount of time because the drugs I needed weren't common (like enzymes). I now use a local pharmacy that specializes in CF meds. They also have agents who are very familiar with the ins and outs of insurance companies (especially medicare). I only use Walgreens now for test strips and emergency rxs. However, there are still drugs that my pharmacy cannot get (Cayston, Pulmozyme, etc). For the drugs they cannot get, I use IV Solutions in Texas. They are extremely accommodating and know the ins and outs of medicare pretty well. They are very efficient in refills, even if you need a refill and don't have proper coverage. When I was put on cayston (which I can't take anymore), they were able to get it for me right away and they handled all the insurance coverage issues between medicare and my doctor. A while ago I was also put on HTS. Well, my medicare part B or D would not cover it, no matter what. Because I'm on other inhaled meds with them though, they send my HTS free of charge with my refills of Colistin. They know I need it, so they make sure I get it. Like I said, they are very accommodating and they deal with CF drugs/patients quite often. They're also good about telling you how much drugs will cost you out of pocket before filling them so you don't end up with surprise bills after getting a refill.
<br />
<br />Good luck, I hope you get some good responses.
<br />
<br />www.ivsolutions.com (I use the Lubbock, TX office)

Giggles

I try to use Foundation Care for all the inhaled drugs because they will bill Medicare. Even though they mail the drugs to you it is still considered a retail pharmacy and would be your retail benefit. If you are on colistin or Tobi/Tobra you can get FREE Hypersal, vitamins and a pari lc if you order with Foundation Care! I love foundation care. I get all my drugs except Pulmozyme from them cause they will bill Medicare secondary for me and then all the cost is picked up between my primary and secondary Medicare. But the pulmozyme is a specialty drug and my primary plan will only let me get from them so I get from the mail order and get a 90 day supply and they also bill medicare so that is good but not all do. Good luck, it is such a pain to figure this all out and know what is the best or cheapest way to go and it tends to change sometimes too.

Giggles

I try to use Foundation Care for all the inhaled drugs because they will bill Medicare. Even though they mail the drugs to you it is still considered a retail pharmacy and would be your retail benefit. If you are on colistin or Tobi/Tobra you can get FREE Hypersal, vitamins and a pari lc if you order with Foundation Care! I love foundation care. I get all my drugs except Pulmozyme from them cause they will bill Medicare secondary for me and then all the cost is picked up between my primary and secondary Medicare. But the pulmozyme is a specialty drug and my primary plan will only let me get from them so I get from the mail order and get a 90 day supply and they also bill medicare so that is good but not all do. Good luck, it is such a pain to figure this all out and know what is the best or cheapest way to go and it tends to change sometimes too.

Giggles