Phase 2 VX661/Kalydeco results released

GenH

The phase 2 VX661/Kalydeco results have just been released:

Statistically significant improvements in lung function were seen in this study with CFs who have two copies of F508del

"Treatment with combination of VX-661 and ivacaftor for 28 days in two highest dose groups resulted in mean relative increases in lung function (percent predicted FEV1) of 9.0% (p=0.01) and 7.5% (p=0.02) versus placebo."

The absolute improvements were 4.8% and 4.5% versus placebo (p=0.01). A smaller, not statistically significant improvement was seen with VX661 alone.

"There were statistically significant mean absolute decreases in sweat chloride, both within-group and versus placebo, across the combination and monotherapy groups. These changes were generally modest and were variable across the dose groups."

"Vertex has advanced three correctors from research into development - VX-809, VX-661 and VX-983. VX-809 is Vertex's lead corrector and is currently being evaluated in combination with ivacaftor as part of two ongoing Phase 3 studies expected to enroll a total of approximately 1,000 people ages 12 and older with two copies of the F508del mutation. Vertex expects to obtain 24-week safety and efficacy data from these studies and to submit a New Drug Application (NDA) to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 2014, pending study results.

VX-661 is Vertex's second corrector to enter clinical development. Vertex plans to conduct additional studies of VX-661 to further evaluate its potential for late-stage development, pending regulatory discussions. VX-983 is the third corrector to enter clinical development and is currently being evaluated as part of a Phase 1 multiple-ascending-dose study in healthy volunteers. In the second half of 2013, Vertex plans to begin a 28-day study of VX-983 in combination with ivacaftor in people with two copies of the F508del CFTR mutation.

In addition to Vertex's development activities focused on combinations of a corrector with ivacaftor, the company has an active research program that has identified next-generation correctors that could be used as part of future combination regimens for people with CF."

http://investors.vrtx.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=757597

AEGORDON13

Great news! I wonder, however, if the drug is beneficial for those who just have one copy of the F508del mutation? Does anyone have an idea? Thanks.

S

stranger

That is the Holy Grail for VRTX from a strictly business point of view. No one has more motivation in that sense than VRTX. It would take them from an almost billion dollar company to a multi-billion dollar company overnight. It could bring about the largest (in terms of money + stock) acquisitions .... E V E R. They will have proven that their methodology is best of breed and will force the hand of Big Pharma.

GenH

Great news! I wonder, however, if the drug is beneficial for those who just have one copy of the F508del mutation? Does anyone have an idea? Thanks.

Heterozygotes have improved in the studies, but not as much as the homozygotes. Homozygotes have more F508del that can be helped by the medications. Hopefully the second generation medications will further help the heterozygotes.

T

teaspoon

GenH: Obviously hetero will always not do quite as well as homo, but do you know how the hetero stacked up in 661 compared to how they did in 809 study? My hope was that because of the more favorable metabolism with 661 that the result may have been a little better. Thanks

GenH

GenH: Obviously hetero will always not do quite as well as homo, but do you know how the hetero stacked up in 661 compared to how they did in 809 study? My hope was that because of the more favorable metabolism with 661 that the result may have been a little better. Thanks

I dont think I've seen any VX661 heterozygote data - I'm pretty sure I've only seen VX809 data with heterozygotes so it is hard to compare.

GenH

Is there a way of knowing if you are heterozygous or are homozygous? Thanks!!

Do you know your two genes? Homozygotes have two copies of the gene F508del (sometimes written as deltaF508 or DF508), heterozygotes have 1 F508del and 1 other gene.